Fishfinder and basic Safety Gear

rhurley999

I just picked up a Hobie mirage outback with pedal drive. Total novice but really looking forward to getting off the shore! I will be launching from the beach in Las Conchas and have been wondering a few things. First should I spend the money to set up the yak with a fish finder. Is it necessary? How far out should I go and how far out can I go safely? Also what basic safety gear should I keep on board to keep my wife from freaking out when I am in the water for awhile? Thanks! This forum has been really useful so far.

jmcdtucson

Well Known Member
Cool kayak! It should be a blast.
A fishfinder is not necessary. I can count the number of times a fishfinder has made a difference on 1 finger (it helped me find a little reef but in retrospect I can see the darker spot in the water so it really didn't help).
A fishfinder can be interesting to see bottom composition (rocky = better fishing). Depth really doesn't change, it gradually increases to about 20 feet a mile out and your eyes can see most reefs. You're better off chasing birds. That said, I got my fishfinder working - it's just a toy and fun to see what the depth is.
How far you can go depends on many things - wind, current, and your physical condition. I'd say 1 mile out is reasonable if you're in good condition and waves are small. But be aware wind and current can change rapidly so it's best to experiment with shorter trips at first.
The main safety gear is a PFD (life vest like I'm wearing in the picture). That is never optional.
The next in order of importance is to go with a buddy if you can. However, in my group I always end up going out alone.
I like to have a sharp scuba knife in a sheath attached to the pfd in case I'd flip and be tangled up in fishing line as well as to cut loose fish that are to big or frisky for me to extricate hooks on the kayak. Also pliers to get hooks out (of you and fish). I also bring a few bandaids just for grins.
My advice is don't go out when the waves are big - it's just not worth it. It's hectic enough having a fish in your lap with treble hooks without 2 foot waves slamming into you at the same time.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
"A fishfinder is not necessary". I'm sure that's a fact...............

But they certainly help with FINDING FISH!

I have a twenty five year old cheapest of the cheap Humming Bird unit that I've used many-a-time fishing from kayaks and pangas. I take a small motorcycle battery for power and hold the transducer in my hand in the water. Don't know if you've ever seen a big fish with a big swim bladder show up on the screen with the depth alongside the fish icon, but guess what? That critter is usually a large grouper, White Sea Bass or Totoaba suspended above the bottom, also shown on the screen. It's just a matter of returning the the spot, dropping your bait or lure to the depth as indicated on the finder and then.....hookup!

When my fancy-assed Furuno unit on my boat gets a ping showing the relative size of the fish based on the size of it's air filled bladder and it's pretty accurate depth, I hit the MOB button on my GPS, make a wide turn and return to the spot with a deep diving lure in tow or a jig ready to drop. Of course the finder is indicating what it "sees" from the stern of the boat, so you're looking at something that you have already passed over but your MOB hit will guide you back fairly close.

Just another toy to help with the haul. I always get a kick out of non-fish killing types that I've had on my boat that claim that it's not fair for the fish and that the "boat does all of the fishing, all you do is reel em in", oh how cruel and un-sportsman like!

As for a PLB beacon, I don't even have one on my boat since the closest outfit that can track your signal is probably the US Coast Guard in San Diego. I'd rather try my VHF, cell phone or CB that I carry and then use a flare if anyone responds and actually comes looking for you. In my opinion, the most important gear to have in any scenario out there is a mask, swim fins and snorkel, as well as some sort of flotation device.

JJ

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
My "OARS' would have to be twelve feet long........

But, but, two Yami's failing at the same time is highly unlikely. Plus I can do 100 miles out and 100 miles back easily on one tank of gas.

JJ

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I just picked up a Hobie mirage outback with pedal drive. Total novice but really looking forward to getting off the shore! I will be launching from the beach in Las Conchas and have been wondering a few things. First should I spend the money to set up the yak with a fish finder. Is it necessary? How far out should I go and how far out can I go safely? Also what basic safety gear should I keep on board to keep my wife from freaking out when I am in the water for awhile? Thanks! This forum has been really useful so far.

Welcome to the forum. 205 for life!!!! Congrats on the purchase. Those Hobie's are really nice and definitely a very stable boat. Much more stable than my Cobra Explorer. To answer a couple of your questions. The obvious answer is no, a fish finder is not necessary however, I love having mine and for $60 you cant go wrong. Before I go on about rigging your kayak I will say this. Personally I enjoy rigging the kayak as much as using it. It's a hobby in itself aside from the hobby of fishing in it. I've had a lot of fun rigging my yak and doing little projects for it. Of course, again, none of this is necessary.

As I mentioned above you can pick up a Humminbird Piranha Max 165 for $60 or less and the installation is super simple. Drill one hole for the wire and grommet and then inside the hull somewhere level but near the front hatch you will stick the transducer to the inside of the hull with electric/duct puddy (home depot). The puddy lasts forever and it will not move. Shoots through hull with good clarity and will accurately register temp. As mentioned in other posts the ability to see what the bottom looks like and how deep you are can be helpful. I personally like knowing the water temp now too. With all do respect I disagree with previous post about not needing it because you can see the bottom and you will never be in more than 20 feet of water. I fish Cholla Bay and during high tide I have been in 38-40 feet of water and I usually only experience clear water about once a year. I average 7-8 trips down to fish in my yak per year and rarely is the water clear enough to see past 16-18 feet. Most times visibility seems to be about 10 to 15 feet. The fish finder has added to my experience and is a great educational tool. Moving on...

Rod holders. I personally like the flush mount rod holders because of the clean recessed look. Your Hobie might already have them but if you dont that's definitely something that you might look into. Lots of guys do a crate for the stern well with rod holders attached. This gives you more storage as well inside the crate. Milk crates usually fit perfect without any modification. I personally went with a bait tank design that I made at home from write up's that I've read on the internet. Same idea as the crate without the storage. Instead I have a 5 gallon bait tank full electric and bilge pump with two rod holders attached to the bait tank. Of course now we're getting away from a basic setup.

PADDLE LEASH is a MUST! (Disregard if you only plan on using the Mirage Drive) Again, as mentioned above it can get windy quick and on high current days you dont want that paddle getting away from you. It's certainly possible for the paddle to get too far away from the boat and then you go and complicate the situation by jumping in to get it and now the boats floating away from you. This could lead to serious problems so I feel like a paddle leash is an absolute must.

Life jacket of course. This is one area that I would not skimp on. I know that you have the Mirage Drive and might not be paddling however regardless for comfort get a paddle specific life vest. I picked up a really nice one on Amazon after losing my previous life vest from Cabellas in Cholla Bay recently. The one from Amazon might fit better and is just as comfortable for half the price as the Cabellas jacket. Looks very similar as well.

Anything else is up to you. I personally like having music because I go out there by myself for 4 0r 5 hours. Again, not necessary. I also prefer to have my GoPro on board. Being out there solo it's the only way to get some good pictures.

Depending on if you have a center hatch or not I use heavy duty sticky velcro inside my center hatch to velcro little tackle boxes so they dont slide around the inside of the kayak.

None of this happens overnight. I've owned my yak for 5 years now and almost every trip I think of a new idea to make it better or more organized. A lot of times thinking, " why havent I thought of this before?". Trial and error is your friend. My suggestion is to take the yak out and use it before you decide on anything and as time goes on you might consider adding things to it or you might feel it's good enough for what you use it for. Basically DO WHATEVER YOU WOULD LIKE, it's your boat. There's definitely no right or wrong way. I dont think you'll need a SAT device. As mentioned above, who's coming to get you? Possibly the Mexicans or possibly nobody. You can pick up a COBRA VHF handheld for like $45 that will clip to your vest but again not sure it's really necessary. I've considered buying one for 5 years now but have never really gotten around to it...

This is my last piece of advice because my ramblings have already gone on long enough. I apologize for post length.

BE OBSESSIVE about the WIND and TIDE report. Study it learn it retain it. I think this is the biggest factor above anything else for having a fun safe outing. This will help calm down the wife too. I know it has been mentioned previously and in other threads to not go out when it's windy or not as calm as you would like. I disagree to some extent. Kayaking is not unlike anything else that involves repetition, balance and motor skills. The more you're out there in different conditions the quicker you're going to learn how the boat reacts and how you react in certain sea conditions. You'll learn some techniques like straddling the kayak for extreme balance and other things. Obviously I dont recommend going really far out in adverse conditions but practicing near shore when you have family on the beach or something like that might be a good thing. I mentioned this above but again, in my experience you'll rarely get "perfect condition" days unless you're in town for a week or so at a time. If you're a weekend warrior like me be prepared to kayak in non ideal water a majority of the time. Nevertheless, you and your wife shouldn't have an irrational fear of the ocean. Be smart, know your ability and know the wind and tide report for the day. You'll be fine!!

#YES205

ChollaBay4Life

estevan

We have a zodiac with a fish finder that we launch from the beach at Miramar. The fish finder is interesting to watch but I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary. It will help you find where the reefs are at, but I think you're better off either marking spots with a gps or using points on land to gauge where you've caught fish. The bottom is flat and largely featureless in that area. I prefer trolling a deep dive lure or spoon and looking for birds to find fish. Not sure how that would work with a yak. The fish finder can help, but you gotta be in the right area first.

For us, we usually kick out around 3/4 of a mile to get on the first reefs with fish (mostly rock bass and trigger). We fish the bottom with bait or anything shiny. Use strong hooks. A trigger will wreck your dainty tackle. You can catch fish close to shore, usually high tide on the sea side of the reefs at shore, but that's gonna be hit and miss. We caught a bunch of leather jacks, bonefish and some needle fish like this a couple weeks ago. That being said, I usually don't catch a lot near shore.

If you're lucky enough to find a bait ball with birds diving throw Kastmasters or krocodile spoons to try and get a sierra or corvina. You'll probably catch more rock bass and trigger tho...

Last of all, Joe is spot on about the wind and tide. The water always looks calmer from shore. I like a little wind to push me over the reefs and make my jig dance, but if it's white capping I usually stay in.

matt massimi

Welcome to the forum. 205 for life!!!! Congrats on the purchase. Those Hobie's are really nice and definitely a very stable boat. Much more stable than my Cobra Explorer. To answer a couple of your questions. The obvious answer is no, a fish finder is not necessary however, I love having mine and for $60 you cant go wrong. Before I go on about rigging your kayak I will say this. Personally I enjoy rigging the kayak as much as using it. It's a hobby in itself aside from the hobby of fishing in it. I've had a lot of fun rigging my yak and doing little projects for it. Of course, again, none of this is necessary.

As I mentioned above you can pick up a Humminbird Piranha Max 165 for $60 or less and the installation is super simple. Drill one hole for the wire and grommet and then inside the hull somewhere level but near the front hatch you will stick the transducer to the inside of the hull with electric/duct puddy (home depot). The puddy lasts forever and it will not move. Shoots through hull with good clarity and will accurately register temp. As mentioned in other posts the ability to see what the bottom looks like and how deep you are can be helpful. I personally like knowing the water temp now too. With all do respect I disagree with previous post about not needing it because you can see the bottom and you will never be in more than 20 feet of water. I fish Cholla Bay and during high tide I have been in 38-40 feet of water and I usually only experience clear water about once a year. I average 7-8 trips down to fish in my yak per year and rarely is the water clear enough to see past 16-18 feet. Most times visibility seems to be about 10 to 15 feet. The fish finder has added to my experience and is a great educational tool. Moving on...

Rod holders. I personally like the flush mount rod holders because of the clean recessed look. Your Hobie might already have them but if you dont that's definitely something that you might look into. Lots of guys do a crate for the stern well with rod holders attached. This gives you more storage as well inside the crate. Milk crates usually fit perfect without any modification. I personally went with a bait tank design that I made at home from write up's that I've read on the internet. Same idea as the crate without the storage. Instead I have a 5 gallon bait tank full electric and bilge pump with two rod holders attached to the bait tank. Of course now we're getting away from a basic setup.

PADDLE LEASH is a MUST! (Disregard if you only plan on using the Mirage Drive) Again, as mentioned above it can get windy quick and on high current days you dont want that paddle getting away from you. It's certainly possible for the paddle to get too far away from the boat and then you go and complicate the situation by jumping in to get it and now the boats floating away from you. This could lead to serious problems so I feel like a paddle leash is an absolute must.

Life jacket of course. This is one area that I would not skimp on. I know that you have the Mirage Drive and might not be paddling however regardless for comfort get a paddle specific life vest. I picked up a really nice one on Amazon after losing my previous life vest from Cabellas in Cholla Bay recently. The one from Amazon might fit better and is just as comfortable for half the price as the Cabellas jacket. Looks very similar as well.

Anything else is up to you. I personally like having music because I go out there by myself for 4 0r 5 hours. Again, not necessary. I also prefer to have my GoPro on board. Being out there solo it's the only way to get some good pictures.

Depending on if you have a center hatch or not I use heavy duty sticky velcro inside my center hatch to velcro little tackle boxes so they dont slide around the inside of the kayak.

None of this happens overnight. I've owned my yak for 5 years now and almost every trip I think of a new idea to make it better or more organized. A lot of times thinking, " why havent I thought of this before?". Trial and error is your friend. My suggestion is to take the yak out and use it before you decide on anything and as time goes on you might consider adding things to it or you might feel it's good enough for what you use it for. Basically DO WHATEVER YOU WOULD LIKE, it's your boat. There's definitely no right or wrong way. I dont think you'll need a SAT device. As mentioned above, who's coming to get you? Possibly the Mexicans or possibly nobody. You can pick up a COBRA VHF handheld for like $45 that will clip to your vest but again not sure it's really necessary. I've considered buying one for 5 years now but have never really gotten around to it...

This is my last piece of advice because my ramblings have already gone on long enough. I apologize for post length.

BE OBSESSIVE about the WIND and TIDE report. Study it learn it retain it. I think this is the biggest factor above anything else for having a fun safe outing. This will help calm down the wife too. I know it has been mentioned previously and in other threads to not go out when it's windy or not as calm as you would like. I disagree to some extent. Kayaking is not unlike anything else that involves repetition, balance and motor skills. The more you're out there in different conditions the quicker you're going to learn how the boat reacts and how you react in certain sea conditions. You'll learn some techniques like straddling the kayak for extreme balance and other things. Obviously I dont recommend going really far out in adverse conditions but practicing near shore when you have family on the beach or something like that might be a good thing. I mentioned this above but again, in my experience you'll rarely get "perfect condition" days unless you're in town for a week or so at a time. If you're a weekend warrior like me be prepared to kayak in non ideal water a majority of the time. Nevertheless, you and your wife shouldn't have an irrational fear of the ocean. Be smart, know your ability and know the wind and tide report for the day. You'll be fine!!

#YES205

ChollaBay4Life
Awesome kayak. What is the pump for?

JoseAz

Well Known Member
I love the idea of the Velcro...why didn't i think of that? (how many times have i said that before ?)
I have a 12ft aluminum V hull but boy the stuff we accumulate in that thing can roll around like crazy.
I usually have the cooler and fuel tank in front of me. Why not put some Velcro on the top of the fuel tank to hold the little tackle box i bring?
With a little planning i could probably find a lager flat box that has the same footprint as the tank, flip up lid, easy access to stuff and maybe even find something deep enough to keep a phone splash proof....or.....we had a couple relatively cheap Motorola walkie talkies that worked really good ship-to-casa but one little slide off the bench and that was it.....

Thanks Mexico Joe!

I also keep a pistol grip hook remover on board, like the following. you can grab the hook, twist, shake and release a trigger with little blood loss :)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fishing-tools/pliers-grippers-hook-removers|/pc/104793480/c/104720580/sc/104505480/baker-hook-outs/701738.uts?destination=/category/Pliers-Grippers-Hook-Removers/104505480.uts

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Awesome kayak. What is the pump for?
Thank you mate!

That's the 5 gallon bait tank. The battery isn't in the battery box in that picture but that's the entire setup. The bait tank is self contained therefor theoretically if I wanted to rent a panga for the day I could take this bait tank with me. The 6v battery will last 2.5 hours with continuous flow but you hardly need to have it on for more than a minute or two at a time every now and then... Pretty cool little setup for under $75.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I love the idea of the Velcro...why didn't i think of that? (how many times have i said that before ?)
I have a 12ft aluminum V hull but boy the stuff we accumulate in that thing can roll around like crazy.
I usually have the cooler and fuel tank in front of me. Why not put some Velcro on the top of the fuel tank to hold the little tackle box i bring?
With a little planning i could probably find a lager flat box that has the same footprint as the tank, flip up lid, easy access to stuff and maybe even find something deep enough to keep a phone splash proof....or.....we had a couple relatively cheap Motorola walkie talkies that worked really good ship-to-casa but one little slide off the bench and that was it.....

Thanks Mexico Joe!

I also keep a pistol grip hook remover on board, like the following. you can grab the hook, twist, shake and release a trigger with little blood loss :)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fishing-tools/pliers-grippers-hook-removers|/pc/104793480/c/104720580/sc/104505480/baker-hook-outs/701738.uts?destination=/category/Pliers-Grippers-Hook-Removers/104505480.uts

No problem! I have a few areas inside the hull that I've put the heavy duty velcro. Up front inside the front hatch I have it for a couple of dry boxes and the dry box that the 12v battery goes in just so when Im loading and unloading everything in the kayak isn't sliding around. Out on the water its not as much of a problem but it can still happen. Much more in a boat obviously. I've found the adhesive outlasts the actual velcro so it's worked out pretty well.

In the picture, the green dry box which is also the stereo is velcro'd into that position. Works perfectly.

rhurley999

Thanks for the tips guys! Gonna try heading out on the 5th. Good thoughts for good weather and tight lines! And Joe thanks for the vote!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Youse yak warriors... god bless ya! :p

Yanno, if I was still young like you daring doo-bees, I'd probably try it, too. My old fat ass needs a boat under me with horsepower on the back of it!

Anybody know if they make fishing Viagra? Hahahaha!!! :D

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Poobah..........

Try Vardenafil 20 mg tabletas available at any farmacia in Mexico.

Pace yourself though with maybe 1/4 tab at first. Stay out of camera and binocular range from the beach as you might see something other than your face on Facebook! Like maybe trolling on your boat with a natural cedar plug.

JJ

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hey Jooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeee...........

I'll give you a couple of tips on spots accessible by yer yak if yer interested in some close in cooler water action....

When the trawlers are out there anchored off of the harbor as they should be now, they become perfect Yellowtail habitat, kinda-like being in the shadows under a Kelp or Sargasso paddy. When I'm a heading out or a coming in I always put out a deep diving spoonbill and make a couple of runs as close to them as possible. Those guys are waiting their turn to unload their haul at the docks and are usually still sorting and cleaning shrimp which means all kinds of chum is going overboard and attracting smaller fish that in turn attract the YT's and sometimes big Sierras.

Another spot that I haven't hit in years is the long rock reef out of the estero at the end of Las Conchas. You will need to hit that spot at slack tide due to the amount and speed of the water coming into and out of the estero. I've seen an event known as a "standing wave" when the water is rushing over that reef. It's a dangerous spot for any boat and a hull ripper at lower tides. That reef is loaded with mid-sized groupers and pintos that wait for the fish leaving and coming back into the estero during the tidal changes. I'll be on that spot this Saturday.

One of these days I'd like to get you on my boat for some TKT's, bool sheet stories and bloody decks!

Just let me know,

JJ

DRDTbone

Thank you. Do you think an emergency beacon is necessary or advisable?
At minimum I take a cheapie whistle/compass (REI and Walmart have these for cheap) clipped to my PFD. I also stick a small compressed-air air horn in the kayak hatch. If nothing else, it works great for waking up hungover people when the tamales arrive (when it's not in the yak). Good luck.

+1 on the air horn, one came with my kayak from the previous owner and it helps to wake up the jet ski folks who think they should come as close as possible to your boat...I have a tackle web on my seat and i keep the horn there just in case I need it in a hurry.