Fishing buddy(ies) needed for Feb 15-27

Going to PP the listed weeks. I want to take my boat but I need to have a fishing buddy. I prefer not to go out by myself just in case I catch a monster fish that drags my boat out to sea for three days. I'd need someone on the boat to call in or to help club it to death.

I have a 22 ft. Bayliner Capri Open Bow with a stern drive. It moves along at a pretty good pace without being a total gas hog. If anyone wants to set something up I expect to be in PP the last two weeks of February, staying in Sandy Beach at la Pricesa. My boat burns about 5-6 gallons per hour so four hour outing would be about $75 for fuel split however many ways there are anglers plus launch fees. I think I can fish four people comfortably without stepping on each other's toes too much and tangling lines. I am pretty laid back and prefer my fishing trips to be about catching (or trying to catch) fish and not focused on drinking, belching and lying although I know some of that is inevitable.

Se habla Español

For some reason RPtalk did not notify me some new posts. I'll keep checking every couple of days.

Never mind! I just found out that if I tow the boat down I have to get a permit (they changed the regs). Not only do I need a permit for the boat but for the trailer and my truck also. Between that and the lower gas mileage I'd be better off just driving down and paying a panga for a half day ride. I can actually go three days for the same cost and no worries with rinsing the salt water out of the motor, trailer storage, launch fees, blah, blah.

We spent quite some time on the phone with the Only Sonora people (CEVCE). The very helpful person told us that they are getting very strict on cars without permits. This applies if you travel EAST of the Nogales-Hermosillo highway.

More information here: http://www.cevce.gob.mx/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&catid=37&Itemid=44

This maybe old news to some of you but it was new news to me. Last year we went to Ures (east of HMO) and did not have a permit. It turns out we were lucky we did not run into any checkpoints. They are confiscating cars without the appropriate permits.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I know of no change in needing a boat permit. You DO need a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) if you plan on going to San Carlos and putting your boat in a marina there, but not for Rocky Point. The most they will do is check your registration at the border. They ended the requirement for a boat permit a few years ago and that was actually a PESCA thing, not Aduana or Sonora Only. The TIP is an entirely different document, costs about $57, and is good for 10 years. It's like a passport for your boat and all the stuff on it. I have one for my boat because I do take it further south on occasion.

Also, you do not need any type of permit for your vehicle unless you are leaving the free zone (extends to just south of Guaymas and all of Baja Norte). If you are traveling east (again, outside the free zone), then yes, you will need to get a permit. But for RockyPoint? Nope, not needed.

I know of no change in needing a boat permit. You DO need a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) if you plan on going to San Carlos and putting your boat in a marina there, but not for Rocky Point. The most they will do is check your registration at the border. They ended the requirement for a boat permit a few years ago and that was actually a PESCA thing, not Aduana or Sonora Only. The TIP is an entirely different document, costs about $57, and is good for 10 years. It's like a passport for your boat and all the stuff on it. I have one for my boat because I do take it further south on occasion.

Also, you do not need any type of permit for your vehicle unless you are leaving the free zone (extends to just south of Guaymas and all of Baja Norte). If you are traveling east (again, outside the free zone), then yes, you will need to get a permit. But for RockyPoint? Nope, not needed.
Thanks for clearing that up Stuart.

Roberto

I know of no change in needing a boat permit. You DO need a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) if you plan on going to San Carlos and putting your boat in a marina there, but not for Rocky Point.

Hmm. Question here. The TIP application is for vehicles, boats, RV's not sure why boats would be required a TIP in San Carlos and not others !??

audsley

My limited experience plus some asking around suggests that panga excursions around Rocky Point are usually just a few miles out and you'll mainly be catching triggerfish. Personally, I find reeling in triggers with few prospects for anything else to be a little boring and not worth the money, time spent and general queasiness that comes with still fishing in a little panga above a fairly shallow reef. You might want to look into chartering a bigger boat that's easier on the stomach and will get you out where things get more interesting.

I am totally confused. I emailed the Banjercito people about the permit issue. They replied that I do need one for the boat, the trailer, and the truck I am using for towing. My wife spent 20 minutes on the phone with the Sonora Only staff and they told her that she needed one for her car if she goes east of the Nogales-Hermosillo road and that, because I am towing the trailer and boat, I need permits in the "zona libre."

I looked in their web site (link in my previous post) and from what I can read NO permit is needed for PP. So it sounds like the info on their web site is not the same you get from them word-of mouth. Hey, it's just like the IRS in the US! Ha!

Has anyone actually dealt with this? Like been stopped and asked for documentation at some check point and got by without the import ermit?

Last edited:
My limited experience plus some asking around suggests that panga excursions around Rocky Point are usually just a few miles out and you'll mainly be catching triggerfish. Personally, I find reeling in triggers with few prospects for anything else to be a little boring and not worth the money, time spent and general queasiness that comes with still fishing in a little panga above a fairly shallow reef. You might want to look into chartering a bigger boat that's easier on the stomach and will get you out where things get more interesting.
Last year I did that and I actually liked fishing for trigger fish! They fight like hell. The first one I caught I was disappointed because it was pulling so hard I expected a big fat fish and when I got it on the boat I thought "that is what I was fighting so hard?" Also, they make terrific ceviche. On the other hand, it would be nice to catch something more exotic but equally or more edible.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Hmm. Question here. The TIP application is for vehicles, boats, RV's not sure why boats would be required a TIP in San Carlos and not others !??
It is a requirement of the marina, plain and simple. No TIP, no putting your boat in the marina. I don't know this for certain, but probably because San Carlos is at the southern edge of the Free Zone. Launching from there, you can go to MANY places both on the mainland and Baja where the TIP would be required. Not so much out of Penasco unless you've got a really big boat with several hundred miles of range.

This does have tie-ins to the whole "boat confiscation" thing. The TIP is your friend and get of jail free card if you get stopped at sea or checked in a marina. A lot of folks (sailboaters) ignore it and that's where there's issues.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Has anyone actually dealt with this? Like been stopped and asked for documentation at some check point and got by without the import permit?
Yes, I have. Several of us here have towed our boats back and forth to Penasco for many years. You do not need a permit for your vehicle, for your boat, or for your trailer. Only your American registration is required and that's all you'll be asked for at the border crossing or if stopped elsewhere on the way to/from Penasco. I have also been stopped at sea by the Navy. Same deal.

Yes, I have. Several of us here have towed our boats back and forth to Penasco for many years. You do not need a permit for your vehicle, for your boat, or for your trailer. Only your American registration is required and that's all you'll be asked for at the border crossing or if stopped elsewhere on the way to/from Penasco. I have also been stopped at sea by the Navy. Same deal.
Thank you Stuart. This makes me feel a lot better. As a newbie boater going south I'd hate for my first experience to be having it confiscated instead of hooking a monster fish that drags me out to sea for three days and then gets eaten by sharks on the way into port.

The Sonora Only web site clearly confirms what you are saying. My confusion was from the Banjercito people telling me in email that I do need the permits. I suspect it may be more of a tax collection desire than a requirement. The web site clearly says PP is in the free zone. I am going to print that part out and carry it with my documents just in case the question comes up. In the end, I suspect this will all be needless worry on my part and it will be uneventful and enjoyable.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I've been towing my boat(s) back and forth across that border for over 4 years now, I've probably done 30 round trips with the boat in that time, and my Arizona registration paperwork is all anyone has ever asked for -

I got stopped on the Sonoyta side just 2 weeks ago on Jan 3 - I presented my AZ Fish and Game registration card for the boat, and my DMV registration for the truck and the trailer, and I was back on my way in 3 minutes...

I've never had to present any more than the AZ papers at the Military check coming back from Puerto Lobos, either, nor the 2 times I was checked on the water by the Navy- the US paperwork has always been all they wanted to see, along with my picture ID so they can match the names....

The Bandercito people might not have understood that you were taking it in, and then bringing it back to the US, or they may have simply been uninformed.

Frankly, the papers you will need will always be whatever papers the guy who stops you expects you to have - Trying to convince him in that moment that you talked to someone in an office who told you the opposite of what he is telling you will have zero effect....

And at that point, the best pieces of paper to have are little green portraits of Andrew Jackson...

Estero

A cop demanding payment or else for a fabricated traffic infraction isn't a bribe. Paying said demand to the corrupt in funny money could be construed as simply a misunderstanding based on language differences. :rolleyes:

dmcauley

I didn't hear Robert saying anything about counterfeit money but the clowns who do make jokes about this should not be surprised when they are stopped for secondary inspection on either side. Passing phony U.S. currency in any country will bring the secret service on you like flies on mierde.
No joke!

I ended up going to Puerto Lobos and fishing with Tom. I lucked out and he had someone cancel on him and I filled in the spot for two days. My report is under "Yellow Tail Catch in Lobos" toward the end of the OP. It's true about the bite. We caught a bunch of YTs, 25 or so skipjacks and about 40 bass