Fishing experience, advice, info por favor!

don

I did have a question about fishing from the 1st estuary. When you mentioned "walking about 200 yards from the parking lot", were you referring to the Encanto side or the Las Conhas side? I have primarily fished the Las Conchas side as that is where we primarily stay or it is quicker to get to from town then driving around to Encanto. If you were referring to the Encanto side, any tips or ideas for the Las Conchas side? Otherwise, I may try popping over to Encanto if you think it is a better spot?
I have limited experience fishing from the Los Conchas side. So, I'm not sure if the Encanto side would be a better spot. BTW, I do most of my fishing from this side. There is a deep channel which cuts around the spit of land I was referring to.... hence the fish use this as a superhighway on the incoming tide. Perhaps Kenny, AZ Beachboy or Shorefisher have knowledge about the Los Conchas side. BTW, I've never seen anyone fishing the estuary from the Los Conchas side (coincidence?)n the incoming, while I've seen half a dozen on the Encanto side.

On the Los Conchas side, there is a pool which fills on the incoming tide about 150 yards east of the old Playa Elegante boat ramp. You can see this area at low tide. As Stu said shiny lures/bass fishing equipment.

If you go to exposed reef at the mouth of the estuary, there are some small rock piles n/w of the reef, about 150 - 200 yards. These piles are scattered throughout the area, running n/w. A portable depth sounder would be invaluable finding them. Use fresh/lively fish from the sabiki rigs for small groupers.

I've heard sand sharks/guitar fish are great eating, the fin (head?) makes great scallops imitations. Haven't tried em. Strong jaws small teeth.
Triggers are known as the poor man's lobster.

Last edited:
I fished Playa Encantada in a kayak this spring. At low tide I couldn't catch a thing. I couldn't launch at incoming or high tide due to big waves. But as the tide went out I would launch and catch nice Corvina (24") about 50 feet off shore, just past where the waves were breaking.
I was trolling blue and silver Rebel Fastrac minnows. Rapalas would probably work too.
Casting off the beach we could catch plenty of sand sharks and a few puffers (no good to eat) on squid fished off the bottom at high tide. I understand you can eat the sand sharks but don't take my word for it.

rplarry

Stuart, thanks for the tip on the panga company. Checked out their site and looks like they have some great boats for any size group and various fishing opportunities ie pangas, mid-range and long range boats.

Don, again very helpful. I agree with you that whenever I have been out in the estuary, I am frequently seeing folks fishing on the Encanto side. Makes sense about that channel. Do any guards or guard gates on the Encanto side prohibit folks who are not residents from getting over there to fish? or Playa La Jolla?

Also, I did pick up a few sabiki rigs. In my ignorance I thought it was a rig with various hooks to put small bait on whether live or not. I quickly saw that the rig itself is a fish cathing device! very cool. Does anyone ever put bait, live or not, on a sabiki rig? Don, you had mentioned putting lively/small fish on the sabiki for leapords and am curious if it is another type of sabiki or if I can use the ones I bought that are jig-like in nature? Can you just thow live bait on those, although the hooks would seem quite small?

Thanks again all!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
You don't need any bait on a sabiki. Don was saying to use the small fish you catch with the sabiki as bait on a larger hook/different set up for trying to catch leopard grouper.

One trick I have seen used with a sabiki is to put a lure like a Kastmaster on the bottom instead of a torpedo sinker. This will often attract and catch larger fish on the bottom, like sierra. However, sierra will hit the sabiki rig as is with just a weight.

Sabikis are a jigging type rig. Drop it slowly all the way to the bottom. It will often get hit on the way down. Don't leave it sit on the bottom, it can get snagged. Once your weight hits the bottom, take the reel out of freespool and start bouncing the weight off the bottom. Then work it up a few cranks at a time, lift the rod tip up and down a few times, then crank it up a couple more turns. This allows you to work the whole water column. When we're making bait like mackerel or sardines, they are often just under the surface. If you want to catch sand bass, sierra, and bonefish, work it closer to the bottom.

Make sure you have a set of needlenose pliers for releasing any fish that get hooked deeply. Also, be VERY careful with the sabiki hooks. They are small, but extremely sharp. I always get at least a couple good pokes when I'm taking fish off and making bait. Just the nature of six sharp hooks and bunch of slippery, squirming fish.

If you just want to have fun and catch some fish, a sabiki can't be beat. You'll often bring them up with a fish on every hook. Be sure to carefully release the little guys and the wrasse-type reef fishes. :fish: :fish: :fish:

When I've stayed there, Playa Encantada has a gate so you can only drive out there if you live there or are renting a place. Of course there may be a way around it.

Kenny

When I've stayed there, Playa Encantada has a gate so you can only drive out there if you live there or are renting a place. Of course there may be a way around it.
Instead of going up top and going down the main street into Encanto, take the bottom road that cuts right. After a 1/2 mile or so, after you pass Bella Vista, go through the entrance that says Marua estuary club. You will find a parking area at the end of the road... Please do not take a dog or a quad out onto the peninsula, it's a wild life refuge, and birds nest out there... Plus it's against the law!

Kenny

Last edited:

don

After passing through Marua gate keep to your left. Launch your kayak from the parking lot for a short paddle to the low tide exposed reef. This area (East side in eddies) of the exposed reef can be great for pompano's. BTW, from the reef paddle east you'll see more shallow reefs.

rplarry

Stuart, thank you for the explanation on the Sabiki. Your description on jigging helped out a lot. That makes a lot more sense. Also, the heads up on the sharp hooks is much appreciated.

Thanks for the direction Don, both for parking and fishing. (you too Kenny) Have been out there a several times in years past and your directions are pretty much how I remembered, however I do remember a guard at a particular area back there. Just didn't know how things may have changed or not. Very helpful if making that drive from LC over to Encanto.

Well gentleman, I guess I'm out of excuses. Been given a wealth of local fishing knowledge here. May pop back on for a couple minor questions, but time to put up or shut up and go fish! Muchas gracas gentlemen.

don

No guard at the lower guard shack anymore. Have a great time and post pics if you're able to head out.

rplarry

Don, Stuart and others who were so generous with your tips and time, just wanted to report back on my little fishing trip on the 17th -19th of July.

Hopefully better late than never... Have not been back on as frequently since before heading down to Penasco last month.

On the 17th, almost decided NOT to head out for the evening incoming tide because it was that 'lazy', slack tide that I personally have not had very good luck with. Well, not this time. By the time I got set up and started fishing I had to wade out to about waist level. However, from my 2nd cast on, I got hit or caught a fish for 35 straight minutes. It was unbelievable. Have not ever experienced catching corvina like that before, although I have heard from several friends about them having many similar experiences. Was happy though that my kastmaster was tied on so well and was able to handle that barrage ! Then, because I was out waist and soon to be chest deep, along with deciding to head out at the last minute, I was not prepared to stringer any fish. So, it was catch and release of about 15-20 fish in that time-span, which was just fine as I ended up keeping and eating some really nice fish in the days to follow.

I took Stuart's advice from when I asked about going out in a panga for sierra, corvina and fish other than trigger & rock bass (although I do like eating trigger, I have just caught so many and wanted to experience somethng new) so I called the company Stuart recommended. A very nice lady answered and I told her I wanted to go out with an english speaking guide/captain, covererd canopy, etc. She said she would track down a boat and call me right back but she never did. So, I just went down to Pampano's and found a guy myself. Went out Saturday the 18th at incoming tide and only for about 4 hours, but it was great. Got into a pod of dolphins that followed the boat out and they dove under and around the boat for about a mile. Very, very cool experience. We went over to some reefs by the smokestack at Playa Encanto and got into quite a few sierra. They were really great fighting fish and fun to catch. Hit another couple reef spots and caught a variet of fish - all which ended up being great eating fish. All in all, a great couple days fishing with Friday evening being absolutely epic.

Stuart, I did try the sabiki a few times , however the captain kept moving and I never did catch anything with it. Not sure I was working it correctly, even though I'm sure it's not rocket science! Next time I'll give it a shot from the Kayak, which by the way, I ended up not going out by boat or kayak after Saturday because the wind really picked up.

A little caveat and speaking of weather, I was shocked as to how comfortable it was while out fishing in JULY! Granted, as long as there was a breeze, it was more than tolerable with the mornings and evenings being awesome. Did not expect that at all for July with the typical added heat & humidity. By the way, it must be mentioned that one of the best parts of this trip was the Friday night downpour and the subsequent 'lightning and thunder show'. This downpour lasted for about an hour with lighting completely lighting up the entire sky and ocean. I saw one bolt that went literally from the point where El Capitan is, horizontally all the way to Bird Island! They thunder pops were deafening at times with the corresponding lighting illuminating the night sky and seemingly turning the darkness into temporary daylight! It was like God was doing a little showing off in all His glory! Pretty spectacular site to witness for sure. (not sure if anyone else was able to see this as well as I don't think I saw a mention of the storm on this blog?? I was told by my waiter at La Curva it was the first rain Penasco had received this year...)

Well, thanks again for the tips and info from all. It's a great way to learn and also live vicariously through the reports, until we can get down to Penasco again.

Wow! Sounds like great fishing, thanks. I just found out we are making another trip down in October - this time at the Myanmar end of the beach near the other estuary. I hope I can have similar luck.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Glad you had a good trip! Whenever the corvina are running like that, it is truly epic fishing. A fish every cast! I've quickly filled a five gallon bucket with the bigger ones and let all the smaller ones go. Lots of fun!