Fishing in Las Conchas during mother's day

aarond

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to give a quick fishing report for last week in Las conchas. We surf fished for 4 days over Mother's day weekend (Thursday to Sunday). Fishing was excellent during the hours before and after high tide. Not a sting ray in sight. Night time fishing at high tide was also excellent. We used pampano rigs with squid and fish bites (pink and white). I must have caught a hundred fish, mostly small but a couple big ones including a guitar fish, which tried to rip the pole out of my hand. I have a couple questions about the fish.

I know the puffers are poisonous to eat, but are they dangerous to touch?

What are the names of the other fish I caught?

We're going back on June 21st. Is that prime sting ray season?

Thanks!
Aaron

Attachments

AZRob

Well Known Member
I bought a few of those pampano rigs never had a chance to try them out, but now I know they will work. Great catch!!! I know the fish in pic one is good to eat. I don't know about 4 and 5.

rplarry

Well Known Member
Very nice Corvina in that mix. Sounds like a fun couple days of fishing.

We used to surf fish a ton in that area. That gave way to kayak fishing those reefs, and then runs out to La Morua, below Competion Hill, and have had good luck just south of Vina Del Mar as well. Funny though, have not surf fished from the LC shore in years.

Looks like you guys were staying at serenity sands ?

Not familiar with a pompano rig, can you share a little detail ? Where do you purchase them ?

Thanks !

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
#4 Is a Cortez Grunt I'm pretty sure... #5 Is a California Corbina and down by Jerry in Santo Tomas the Mexicans were calling them something dulce or dulce something... LOL

If you look at #5 you can almost see the Redfish in it... It's another croaker.

#4 I'm 80% sure
#5 - 100%

I see those Pompano rigs used a lot in Florida (Pompano Beach) and Texas for beach fishing. I also follow a guy in NC who I've seen use them for whiting (croaker) and Pompano. Kind of fishing that allows you to keep a cold beer in one hand.

Great pics, thanks for the report.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
When you hooked up with that Corvina, at that point I would have put on a spoon, Kast master, jig head with swim shad, just something to cast and retrieve because when there's one Corvina there's many. You're kind of lowering your chances with the Pompano rig. That's a great rig to find out what's out there but once you knew there were Corvina I would have at least taken one of the rods and put something on to cast. The Corvina are more of a reaction strike fish from my experience but fishing is fishing and there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say...

aarond

When you hooked up with that Corvina, at that point I would have put on a spoon, Kast master, jig head with swim shad, just something to cast and retrieve because when there's one Corvina there's many. You're kind of lowering your chances with the Pompano rig. That's a great rig to find out what's out there but once you knew there were Corvina I would have at least taken one of the rods and put something on to cast. The Corvina are more of a reaction strike fish from my experience but fishing is fishing and there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say...
Great info! I had kastmasters on me but didn't think about switching. I'll know next time! Thanks for the tips.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Nice catch and yummy eats!

Switch to a Kastmaster. Yup. Exactly how I used to shore fish La Pinta. Throw some squid out there as the tides comes in. First corvina caught, switch and fill a bucket within a few minutes as they charge in to scour the mud reefs.

rplarry

Well Known Member
Yes! We were at Serenity Sands. It was a beautiful home.

1. Pompano Rigs (size 2 hook): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU5W6UW
2. Two Oz Sinkers: https://smile.amazon.com/Stellar-Pyramid-Fishing-Saltwater-Freshwater/dp/B0886814B9/
3. Either buy some squid and chop it up into small pieces, or use fish bites (also on amazon).
Just realized I hadn't thanked you for this info.

Thank you very much and for attaching the links !

Look forward to giving it a try next time we are down.

Pinefish

I've heard of friends eating the puffers by the hundreds much further south towards Mazatlan, but I wouldn't eat them. You have to prepare them a certain way, but I don't know how.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
#1 Shortfin Corvina
#2 Shovelnose Guitarfish
#3 Bullseye Puffer
#4 Sargo
#5 California Corbina
How sure are you on the Sargo? Not that I can't look on Mexfish but... 2 weekends ago my girlfriend caught one that was about 1.5, 2 lbs on the YET SKY. Turns out, it was the last fish ever caught on the Cholla Bay Sleigh Ride. Sad to report that she's been passed on to another owner. Better times await!