Fishing in November

I'm planning to go down mid-November for some kayak fishing (so we are limited to maximum of a few miles off shore in ideal weather) - I was wondering what would be a better location, La Pinta, off Playa De Oro or over by Cholla Bay?

Thanks,

Terry

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
If the tide is right, La Pinta can be a lot of fun throwing Kastmasters for corvina. Forget going very far out from the estuary because it's extremely shallow and sand flats for miles. You can practically walk from San Jorge out to Bird Island at low tide. But there is decent action off the point (by the Mayan) at the mouth of the estuary for corvina and along the mud reefs.

Cholla Bay gets deeper a little faster and you can catch more variety of stuff around Pelican Point, flounder and such. Haven't seen our resident kayaker Joe, hopefully he'll chime in with some more tips and tricks for you.

Ed B

Small Potatoes
Been fishing off the kayak along pelican point. Lots of triggers out there now.

Good info, I really appreciate it!

BTW, would it be safe to go out to bird island via kayaks? We both have Hobie Pro Anglers which are pretty stable and using the Mirage drive (foot power) we can cover a lot of ground without getting tired - BUT, I don't want to do anything stupid either.

Thanks again,

T

YumaJames

Well Known Member
Bird Island is approximately 27 miles from Rocky Point and I've been out there several times by boat. There are local tour companies (ecofunrentals.com) that take you out there by boat and then you can paddle around Bird Island by kayak. But being 27 miles away it would make it pretty much impossible to get out there by kayak, and even you could it would be very dangerous because the weather could change and there are no formal rescue services in Rocky Point (there are Navy boats in Rocky Point but it is questionable whether they'd rescue you). A great website a lot of us use for weather is windfinder.com. Be safe, stay close.

Last edited:

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
We will be down on Tues pm in Playa De Oro #50 and I jet ski fish. Lets try to get together. I trailer my ski and have a 4 wheel drive PU to launch in mosty area.
Always looking for someone to fish with.
Just got T Wireless so have an active mexican tele. Same as US 520 251 0656.
Come see us.

We will be down on Tues pm in Playa De Oro #50 and I jet ski fish. Lets try to get together. I trailer my ski and have a 4 wheel drive PU to launch in mosty area.
Always looking for someone to fish with.
Just got T Wireless so have an active mexican tele. Same as US 520 251 0656.
Come see us.
We'll be down for the 20th to 22nd - we'll be over at the Sonoran Sun. We each have a Hobie Pro Angler kayak, so we don't have the range of a jet ski. I was hoping to launch from the beach near the Reef RV park, but not sure if there is beach access there if you are not staying in the park.
T

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
I also have an inflatable pontoon that I fish from so we can get together if you want. As noted my tele works here with no roaming.
As to the launch next to the reef they charge you the same as if you are staying there , Boo.
I have heard that you can launch on the East side of the new jettie but not sure. If I get back out there I will check it out and post.

Sounds good - we'll give you a ring when we get in on Friday evening - I think we'll launch from the beach at the Sun (unless there is launching from east of the jetty) before sun up and head west towards the point.

Terry

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
I just checked on the beach area just E. of the jetty and it is closed. I went out yesterday in front of PDO and did well on nice Trigers.
If you want come on to here and we can go out from this ramp.

Parrothead Pescador

I fished Playa Miramar & La Pinta last Friday & Saturday. Did well on pompano & corvina. Lots of fun on light gear!! Biggest pompano was 3 lbs, corvina was over 4. Majority of corvina were males in the 2.5-3 lb class. Will try to post a couple pics if I can compress & download successfully?

estevan

I fished Playa Miramar & La Pinta last Friday & Saturday. Did well on pompano & corvina. Lots of fun on light gear!! Biggest pompano was 3 lbs, corvina was over 4. Majority of corvina were males in the 2.5-3 lb class. Will try to post a couple pics if I can compress & download successfully?
What did you catch them on? And when/where were you fishing? I've had some success with Kastmasters around the reef as the tide was coming in, but I'm still trying to dial it in. Here's a pic of one we caught back in May at Miramar. That evening I caught around 5 corvina, 10-12 small pompano and a few bonefish as it got darker, but like I said, I haven't been able to replicate my success.

Attachments

mermaid

That's a big Pompano I'd love to see a picture of it. I've fished here for over 30 years and the biggest pompano I've seen is 2 lbs.

I just checked on the beach area just E. of the jetty and it is closed. I went out yesterday in front of PDO and did well on nice Trigers.
If you want come on to here and we can go out from this ramp.[/QUOTE

Does PDO allow anyone to launch there? I was wondering with the wind if La Pinta might be calmer?