Fishing Las Conchas Area

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Thanks everyone for the info. Just stocked up with plenty of spoons and kastmasters. Raided my bass gear for anything silver and shiny, especially topwater. I also bought some weights and hooks for bait. I'm gonna try a medium action 6'6 rod with a spincast. Putting on 20 lb spectra braid (6 pound equivalent diameter) with 12 lb flouro leader. I'll also take one of the my bass baitcasters. Im leaving Thursday evening (be in RP til Tuesday) so I'll let all know how your advice has worked. I'm not familiar as to where estuaries are in RP but I'll figure it out. Gonna try near the house at Conchas first though. One last question. What should I do to keep (or limit) the saltwater from affecting my gear?

Thanks again.

Ram

Ive been away for a few days from a beach cruising incident in Old Town Scottsdale. Let me say something about that, wear shoes while riding beach cruisers or you might cut the top of your big toe off. Now let me respond to a few of your questions and a few of the suggestions. I have never personally fished Las Conchas but of course there are fish and like Robert says they school up and are running bait. The Sierra Mackerel do the same thing, so for me and obviously this is out of a kayak but looking for the diving birds and bait schools is key. In regards to time of fishing and this is personal preference but I like the time of the day over high tide. Most of my productivity for Sierra Macks and Corvina has been an hour or two before sunset. If high tide is at or near sunset then double bonus but Ive never really been very productive on a mid day high tide. Obviously this can be argued and I think it really comes down to personal preference. In regards to lure selection, bigger the lure, bigger the fish IMO. I like metal exclusively for casting, nothing less than 2oz. With 2oz and up you can cast those things seemingly for miles. I disagree with the dont use this you'll only catch spotted bay bass, sand bass, rock bass. If you are it is because you arent working the lure correctly. The only time I catch sand bass is when the metal is worked extremely slow deeper in the water column and I dont think that's where the Corvina are. In regards to using other lures especially ones that you might use freshwater bass fishing, those lures can work but are extremely hard to get any distance out of the cast. In regards to line, you shoudlnt need more than 12lb. I wouldnt go higher than 12lb but once again pry personal preference. Lastly, in regards to equipment maintenance I recommend rinsing your gear with freshwater after use to prevent the salt from destroying everything. Im sure you have a hose at the house in LC so just rinse it and you'll be fine. Good luck and remember PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Wldcat10

I'm new to shore fishing and had a question. When using the silver kastmaster lure, does anything else go on the line with it?

azfish

You have to shuffle Jerry when walking into the water, you can get hit in 3'' of water. Shuffling is basics 101. When I'm in 5' of water I can see them, but I'm looking and shuffling at the same time. I'm more worried about getting hit by a shark.

that works until you get nailed by a Ray!

audsley

Wildcat10 asked about what goes on the line with Kastmasters. Does anyone besides me use steel leaders? I was once told that just about any ocean fish can bite your line in two if it isn't metal.

I'm sure they could, especially sierra, but I've caught tons (well, pounds) of ocean fish there and never had one bite thru the line. Always used 12 lb. mono/fluoro hybrid.

heres a pic of my standard "go to" lures. caught many types of fish with these. only problem is the one treble hook as opposed to the normal 2. Fish them in 1oz or 2. The two ouncers i find to sink a lot quick so have to work quick to stay on top of the water column. rarely fish spoons but will give those a shot sometime soon. I use the jigs a lot less than the others but fun to catch stuff on different lures. Got some large Bomber crankbaits ill be trying real soon too!
IMG_0978.jpg

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I'm sure they could, especially sierra, but I've caught tons (well, pounds) of ocean fish there and never had one bite thru the line. Always used 12 lb. mono/fluoro hybrid.

I agree, Ive caught many sierra without a steel leader. The lure or kastmaster would have to be down in their throat for them to be able to bite the line...