Fishing on Thursday

Jim

I have some family coming from Minnesota and we would like to go fishing on Thursday. I have always had a boat for the last 10 years but sold mine about 6 months ago and have not had the money to replace it. Of course we are willing to pay. There will be 3 or 4 of us and they want $800 to take The Joker out for the day. That is a bit rich for my blood. Something around $100 each sounds better. I do want to go for real fish, not 3 miles out to picki up triggers. If anyone has an idea, please let me know. Thanks

B

bahiatrader

Try Pepe Cruz. [email protected], 638-105-9720. Pepe has been recommended to me as a good fisherman with a good boat and reasonable prices. I have no personal knowledge of him, but he was recommended to me by a guy I trust. Cory sent me some pics of some pretty nice fish he caught with Señor Cruz

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Right now, Thursday looks great for fishing - both tides and Buoyweather. Subject to change, as always. From Friday on, Buoyweather looks pretty crappy for the coming weekend.

$800 is not that bad for a big boat like Joker for the day. Split it between 4 guys and it's $200 a piece, plus tip, fish cleaning, etc. I don't charter per se, I "take friends fishing." However, I generally ask the same price - $200 each for 3 guys, a full day of fishing. I could take four, but I'm all about everybody having a quality fishing experience. With 5 guys (including myself), the boat starts getting cramped, lines get tangled, etc. Plus, I go out to the deep reefs (51), not the trigger fish reefs, other than to make sardines and mackerel for bait on our way out.

There are some nice white sea bass running out there right now. I heard of one close to 50 lbs. caught this weekend. I have one of the fastest boats in Rocky Point and always have a quality fishing experience. You get what you pay for - $100 triggers and sand bass or $200 seabass, red snappers, gold-spots, grouper, etc.

Jim, you had a boat. You know what it costs for upkeep, storage, fuel, launch fees, etc. All adds up in a hurry! Granted, the economy is not doing any of us any favors right now. But that is not a bad price -- if Joker takes you to quality fish. I have seen them down by the Caballo and the island before, but don't think I've seen them out at the 51. It's a big boat and it doesn't move that fast. By the time Joker got out to the 51, you might get a couple drops, then it would be time to turn around and head back in.

Anyway, my 2 pesos on the subject.

B

bahiatrader

Here's one of the pics Cory sent me from when he went out with Pepe last year. He didn't know who to go with, and I didn't either. I told him what to look for as far as boats and gear were concerned. He was happy he chose Pepe. I think he said it cost him $150.00 to go out by himself. He said Pepe loves to fish and they had a great time. Maybe the price depends on the time of year and possibly the economy. Most of those guys, especially the single charter owners do it because they enjoy it. What a rotten, sinful way to live! If you enjoy your job, you'll never work another day. I hope Cory doesn't mind me posting this. He's probably too busy doing taxes right now, and I don't think he watches this forum anyway.
If you end up looking for someone down there, look for a clean, well taken care of boat. Don't pay any attention to the guys who say they can hook you up with the best fisherman in Rocky Point. They're usually liars trying to make a buck being a middle man. I know a few guys that have paid too much money to go catch triggers and cabrillas on the close in reefs. I even went out with pangueros a few times when I first started going to Rocky Point. I had fun, but there's better fishing to be had. Best of luck to you.

Attachments

B

bahiatrader

Maybe if I send Pepe enough business, he'll cut me a deal the next time I go to Rocky Point without a boat.

P

pikeu68

Stuart was right the White Sea Bass are biting now. Doug and I were out this weekend and we caught 5 White Sea Bass, including a 45 pounder. We also caught 3 Red Snapper, 1 Sheepshead, and several gold-spots. A good day of fishing.

Jim

Thanks guys,
I have been off line for awhile. My computer died and it took awhile here in Penasco to find someone to get it working again. Bahia, thanks for the referral. If Stuart can't take us, I will give him a call. Stuart, I feel like I know you and if you are available I will talk to the guys. I am the poor one at this time. None of them would have a problem. I am very experienced as to fishing out of Penasco. I've never been to the 51 but have many waypoints 30+. My brother and his son (20 years old) are avid fishermen in Minnesota and Canada. Fred, the landlord of my office in Old Port was a fishing guide and bush pilot in Alaska for years. No wimps here. Let me know ASAP so I can arrange something. Once again, the people from this forum (and the one we came from) are the best. Jim

Jim

Thanks for the contact Bahia,
Pepe is the best. I called penascoboattrips and they wanted $800 for the boat. I called Pepe and he said he would go out 25-30 all day for $400. Nice boat, nice guy who speaks good English and knows where to go, and a perfect day. Perfect tides, no wind, water like glass, never more than 10 minutes without a bite. Filled 3 fishwells with the biggest being about 25 pounds. We left at 6:15 and got back around 5:00. It was a very good day aside from a friend getting a hook embedded in his finger. We tried to push it through but could not do it. He elected to cut it off and continue fishing. He probably fished 3 hours with it in. We called his wife and when we got back, she took him to the Dr. and a tetnus shot later he was back at it today.

Hey Rockypointjim
As I have said before I am creating a Gringo map of Puerto Penasco. You said in your post that you had someone fix your computer. Was that done in PP ? If so and, you would recomend that repair shop, please let me know the shop name and address so I can add it to my map. Thanks !

Jim

Yes, I would recommend the shop. They don't do housecalls but I know someone who is very good and will come to you also. The shop is behind the original bus station on Benito Juarez in a little strip mall next to Candy Cake. I can't remember what it is called. I'll let you know next week. I would love to put your map on my website and include it on my flyers etc. (as long as you aren't competition :evil: ) It is about time someone did a good map of Penasco. There is nothing available. Even the government offices have crappy maps.