Fishing Puerto Lobos

Kenny

He was just a little guy, maybe 3 pounds, but Don said he had been mighty good eating when he got him home. We we're suprised to have picked him up at all since we we're trolling for Yellowfin and Grouper when we caught him.

Kenny

kenny,a couple of lobsters from Antigua
Those are nice Leigh, they look like the ones we used to get off the coast of Cali free diving back in the day. There were some huge one's around the Coranado Islands that some of the crazies would get diving at night.

Kenny

I was in Yuma, and yes the Spooky one always watches my place when I'm gone. I darned near left for Mexico after the race's, but my friend couldn't be talked into it.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
NICE.

Last year the yellowtail hung around Lobos all summer... are they going to repeat this year?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
NICE.

Last year the yellowtail hung around Lobos all summer... are they going to repeat this year?
Most everywhere in their range, there are always some "homeguard" yellowtail that hang out all year. Until they're caught, that is! Not the big bruisers that cruise in and out as the seasons change, but smaller fish.

Kenny

Don and I were very happy with the size and quality of the one's that "hung out" for us, and on Medium spin tackle they were some tough hombres.
Up next is some Roosters, either from shore, or and the inflatable; both will be a blast.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The roosters are indeed a blast! Watching them chase your lure as you cast to them is like watching a billfish come up on a trolling lure. You'll get a lot of interested fish that will follow nearly to the boat, but not all are takers. Fish close in along the beach north of Lobos. You'll see schools of baitfish as dark shadows in the sand with "holes" in the middle of the school. That's a rooster laying in wait. Cast right near the school and they'll come charging out. They'll only fall for it a couple of times, then stop responding. Move up the beach to a different bait school and start over. By the time you come back down the beach and start over, they will have forgotten and it's game on again.

Also, be sure you've got heavy enough tackle to land and release them quickly. You can play them completely out; they will fight to the death. In the hot, shallow water, they easily go belly up on release and don't recover. On a good release, you'll see them bolt right out to deeper water.

Sight fishing at its finest and I'm anxious to get back and catch a few this year!!

Kenny

The day the wind came up I noticed that Ted's truck was at his place, so Don and I went by to say hi and do some bench fishing. He was very generous with his information, and since we were intested in coming back for some Roosters he shared some good information about them with us. After talking for some time Don and I mentioned we were going to go into Puerto libertad for some eats since it wasn't that far down the new highway, and the wind wasn't going to let up anytime soon anyway. Ted decided to join us and we had a good time, and ate at two different locations. The best place being the second place we stopped at, the open front joint that just made Tacos; just as Ted told us it would be..LOL

Kenny

is Don on RP Talk?
He can't get it from his phone at the hospital if that's what you mean.
That Don in the picture holding up two Yellowfin, and he also open up this thread to get me, the shy one, to post about our trip.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yellow TAIL. The fish in the pictures are yellowtail.

Yellowfin are tuna.

Yellowtail are jacks.

Nothing even remotely similar about them at all except that their common names begin with yellow...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Kenny, no yellow fin in sea of Cortes, dont you know....!
ummm... that's not so, either.... :)

Yellowfin tuna are readily caught in the SOC from Guaymas and south.

OK, I've been enough of a jerk... time to take my OCD medicine I guess. :)