Fishing Report - 12/06/07

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Decided a quick trip was in order and decided to gamble that Buoyweather was wrong. Buoyweather was both right and wrong! Left Safe Marine just before 8:00 a.m. in the cool morning air to find fairly flat water outside the harbor. Made a bunch of baits about a mile off the point, mostly small sand bass, some sierra, bonefish, and a few macks. Ran out 10 miles to another bait reef, but the macks were hard to come by. Did pick up a dozen sardines, which are good halibut candy. The water was still pretty decent 10 miles out. Punched up the coordinates for the 51 and headed out. About 25 miles out, picked up a stronger breeze and started seeing some four to five foot rollers. Got out to the 51 about 11:30 to find a stiff breeze and still some pretty big waves. Not ideal conditions at all. Well, came all that way, I'm going to fish! Did several drifts, but they were fast drifts. Landed a couple large-model red snappers and missed a few other bites.

Mi amigo Audi showed up in his boat and joined my drift pattern. About my 5th drift, the wife noticed that the back scupper on the deck wasn't draining and water was starting to pool. I opened the access hatch to find LOTS of water, sloshing over the batteries on that side. Great, just great. Turned the bilge pump on, no workee. Okay, that stinks. I had just done a complete systems check last weekend when I replaced all four batteries and EVERYTHING worked as it should. I go to call Audi on the radio and now the radio doesn't work, either. I checked the radio before leaving the harbor (I always do this) and had been talking to Audi on the radio earlier. It looks like it's working, but it's not. Break out the handheld radio and now it doesn't want to transmit, either. This is getting to be a disaster in the making! All this stuff suddenly broken at the same time? WTF??

Okay, I do have a handpump and break that out and start pumping like hell. The wife takes over pumping while I get the boat moving. I pull over by Audi and tell him I'm taking on water and heading in. Between the wife and I, we get the water down off the batteries. The situation is at least manageable. After a lot of pumping, I get an idea and the wife says "Have at it, MacGyver!" I take the hose off the hand pump and insert it into intake of the macerator pump in the fish box and throw the other end over the side. Hit the switch and the macerator (amazing, because it's underwater) kicks on and pumps the bulk of the water over the side. Crisis averted. The boat's now riding level again. And with the water off the batteries, the radio now works fine again. The saltwater must have screwed up the grounding. Time for a beer. Make that TWO beers!

We get about 18 miles out of Penasco and the water is again flat as a pancake. Go figure. So, that was the big adventure this weekend. Thank-goodness it ended well. Keeping a cool head and not succumbing to panic made all the difference. As for where all the water came from, I haven't figured that out yet, but will be all over it this coming weekend. Two theories, one of which has happened before:

1. The bilge pump nipple where you put the hose on it cracked and broke off right at the casing. This allows water to flow in as your sloshing around in heavy seas and happened before on my boat and caused a similar near disaster. Fortunately, there are four separate bilge pumps on the boat - one forward and one aft on each sponson. While we wouldn't normally be in any real danger of sinking, when the back port quadrant gets flooded and floods the batteries, who knows? The biggest danger comes from being swamped by a wave as that corner sits lower in the water, so getting moving right away was key.

2. I redid the pick-up for the bait tank and put a new clamshell thru-hull fitting on. The bait tank now pumps water great underway, which it never did before. The new fitting isn't the problem directly, it's on opposite side of where we were taking on water. When I pulled the handpump out, I notice the bait tank was showering water internally around the edges, so there's a good chance that the water just sloshed out of the bait tank during the trip out to the 51. If that's the case, I need to shorten the drain pipe on it and seal the top of the internal edges. Once I turned the bait tank off and drained it, we didn't seem to take on any more water, so this is the likely culprit. Wouldn't be a problem in flat seas, but when it's rough, it's a lot of sloshing going on.

Whatever the problem, I'll figure it out this weekend. In true form, it's a "boat" - always something! Looking back though, it's easy to see how things cascade in a hurry and cause boats to sink. Having a buddy boat out there with you is the safest thing you can do.

STUART
AURE GLAD YOU GOT THROUGH IT SAFE.
May be an ides to prevent slowsh would be to put a piece of the bubble wrap stuff on top of the water when needed. No weight when not in use.

dmcauley

A level head is what counts in these situations and you seem to have a good idea what to do where others may not- Love the macerator idea- Got to put that idea in the back draw.
Buoy weather is looking iffy for this weekend also but I'm chomping at the bit after staying home with the flu this weekend. Tight lines
:arrow: :boat:

Sixty

Sounds like something shorted when the batteries were submerged, you should probably check all of the wiring connections that were submerged and clean them. It is also helful to spray them with the dielectric grease for protection. Hopefully your batteries were fully sealed or they may have taken in some saltwater that could significantly shorten thier life. Did the bilge pump totally quit, and thats why the water built up in the bilge?

Its amazing how quick wiring can deteriorate and new bilge pumps can fail. I'm glad disaster was averted!

don

Wow, what a story... Superb job on the solutions!
What kind of portable hand pump do you have/recommend?

I carry a spare high capacity bilge pump with tubing and alligator clips, but I can see a portable hand pump would be mandatory.

On a prior boat (bass style) I used in RP, my batteries got wet with and they were literary smoking as they were discharging.I had to dowse them with fresh water to stop the discharge.

Any idea on what happened to your handheld radio?

I had some handhelds that turned on by pushing a button but discovered that type of switch will drain the battery within several months, so I sent those back and got some which use a on/off knob. No battery discharge with that switch.

Stuart, Sixty, Dm, Kelsy or Ric: Do you fellas carry a ditch bag? What makes up your contents? I'll start a new thread on suggested emergency gear. Hopefully you guys will give your suggestions.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sixty - Yeah, I don't look forward to cleaning up the mess. Last time, I ended up replacing nearly all the battery cables and rewiring a lot to get rid of the corrosion. I did wash everything down with freshwater once I got the boat back up on the trailer, but saltwater/electricity is quick to take a toll. I use a purple spray protectant on all the battery connections, but that was washed clean off.

As for the batteries, I don't know if they took on any saltwater or not. They are not sealed, they're typical lead/acid with slightly vented caps, but I had topped them off with distilled water just before I installed them and they didn't leak anything as we tilted them around to get them installed. I'll pop a cap and see if they seem overfull this weekend. Fortunately, they weren't underwater long, but it doesn't take long. They might just have to go back to Walmart - "Geez, these things are toast already!" :shock:

The bilge pump was indeed dead and remained dead. I've never been happy with the Johnson Controls cartridge bilge pumps that were installed stock on my boat. They don't seem to last long at all and I've had different problems with them off and on. The float switches don't work for crap. I think it's time to swap out the back two with some high-capacity Area Rule pumps. Changing the bilge pumps on a cat is REAL fun (not)! They are all the way down on the bottom of the hull by the drain plugs and, even with my long arms, it's nearly impossible to reach them through the access hatch. I need to get a small, skinny guy and just drop him in headfirst and I'll hold his feet!

Don- it's funny you mention the "crash" pump. I have a old bilge pump sitting on my work bench that still works fine that I was just about to do the same thing with - wire some alligator clips and 10 foot leads to it, attach a long piece of hose. I just hadn't gotten around to doing it yet. I was kicking myself in the arse Sat. for not having done it! Ah, the road to Hell, or in this case, Davey Jones Locker, is paved with good intentions! :lol:

The handheld turned out to be the batteries. I've had that handheld over ten years, it was top of the line Standard Horizon at the time and still works great. It uses a Ni-Cad pack equivalent to 6 AAs. I've replaced the Ni-Cad pack once, but the replacement Ni-Cad pack finally died and would no longer take a charge. I refuse to pay $90 for another Ni-Cad pack, so I swapped to the Alkaline battery pack for it. Those batteries were apparently weak. I had spares on board, but was more worried about getting the water out of the boat than the handheld at the moment. I'll keep the current radio, but am buying a new Standard Horizon handheld that use Ni-Mh type batteries. The Ni-Mh batteries last longer and don't seem to get a "memory" locked into them over time like the Ni-Cads do from repeated recharging. Plus, they now have DSC calling and a GPS display built right into the radio.

As most of you probably know, I'm real big on safety issues. I never go out if I *know* something on my boat isn't working right; it would just drive me crazy. I carry spare stuff, an aux battery jump starter, could do a quick rewiring job if I had to, even had a spare bilge pump on board. Just no way you can change it at sea. So, if the macerator idea hadn't worked, I would of tried to MacGyver up something else. Still, nothing beats that good ol' hand pump in an emergency. It's the West Marine brand - a long blue cylinder with the handle on one end. It takes a lot of pumping, but it does move a lot of water in a hurry. I highly recommend every boat to have one.

Sixty

I have a dielectric spray that is clear that I spray all of my electrical connections with. It has worked for me so far, but I've never had anything submerged.

I installed a new jonhnson 1600 bilge pump and it died after a minute of use. I much prefer the Rule pumps and they are definately worth thier extra cost. Someday I'd like to add another pump to my bilge for redundancy. I also need to put together some sort of emergency pump, but I think an additional bilge pump would probably suffice. There is nothing like owring in the bilge area. fortunatley I have a large access hatch that actually allows a skinny guy like me to crawl down in the bilge compartment to work on the pump. I guess thats a big plus on a Monohull.

Don,

I don't carry a ditch bag (yet) but I'd like to put something together. Right now I keep my emergency gear in the same locker but a ditch bag would be a wise idea.