fishing report 4-3-10

ReelHard

grouper slayer
I left az. at 6:00 and picked up my good friend Rhonda and off we went to rocky point. Got there at about 9:30 and trafic was back upped for miles so we hung a left and took some dirt rodes to reach our destiation. we met up with dave at al capones restaraunt. and talked fishing. shawn and his wife and friends showed up about an half hour later and he told me their fishing stories from that day. They ran to the 51 and caught quite a few wsb. one of witch was really nice. they also managed to hook an 8 foot mako which he battled for 30 min. he got it to the boat belly up and thought they had it for sure. then it started to roll and wrapped up in thge line and it was gone.

we decided to go to the house and catch some sleep before our big day in the mouring. we got up at around 5;30 and headed to the storage yard and grabbed the boat. when i got to the gas station to fuel up the attendant told me my trailer wheel was coming off. i looked and thought thats not good. but i only had to go a few blocks to safe marina. well that turned out to be about 1 block to many. as i heard a clunk and a pop i looked in the side view mirror an d the wheel decided to pass us. at least the axle did not hit the road. so i grabbed my wheel and continued to safe marina.

we went to launch the boat and it wouldnt start. could this day get any better i thought to myself. so i cleaned the battery terminals and still nothing. so i grabbed the spare battery and she fired up.

we ran to the bait reef a few miles away and had a hard time making bait. we finnally got enough for a day of fishing. so off to the 18 mile reef we went. i caught my 1st fish in about 5 minutes of getting their. iwas jigging a 16 oz. diamond jig. and landed a 13 pound pinto. then no bites for the next few hours. rhonda then got a bite on her rod baited with a live grunt. she reeled in a leopard grouper of about 12 pounds. then we went again hours with no bites. then the bite improved had a nice hook up and battled it for about 30 seconds until the hook pulled free. then just a few minutes after that i had a really big fish slam my bait and peel drag of my reel like it was in free spool. i could not stop him fast enough he hit the rocks and he was gone. i repositioned us for another drift and 5 minutes later my other rod got hit. baited with a white scampi jig. the fish fought a good battle and the tip of the pole dipped in the water with the rod in the rod holder. after about 5 minutes he was at the surface it was an impessive 88 lbs. gulf grouper. we were pretty tired by then and decided to call it a day.

It was a great ride back to the marina as the seas layed down to all but a ripple. made it back to port and talked to obed about fixxing the trailer. so i got to pick up a few parts this week. and bring them back down to him.

Attachments

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Great report Doug!

Funny, speaking of trailer wheels- I spent the weekend re-packing the wheel bearings in my own trailer, and installing a brake flush-out system. I wish I had been fishing.

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse on Saturday and saw the picture of you with that monster BSB.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Hey I've got a question-

Where do you guys buy those giant scampi's and jig heads?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
That grouper is a toad! Great job!

Hopefully, I'll be out there this weekend. I spent Sat. at Phoenix Fishing Supply. Needed a rod for the wife's Christmas present - a Daiwa Tanacom Bull. While we were there, she opted for a new Daiwa Saltist SLD two-speed - the new blue/black all aluminum ones and spooled it with 80 lb. red PowerPro, set on a matching Daiwa 50-100 lb rod. Her new grouper rig and it's a beauty! She told me I could use it when she isn't aboard. How sweet of her!

Then, I went home and rigged lures and made some new grouper rigs with 200 lb. Jinkai leader and 9/0 Owner hooks. Geez, I hate spending so much on hooks, but the Owner Hooks stand up to the big boys and are so super sharp. So, I'm armed and ready for grouper battle. Hopefully, I'll be able to scout up some bonefish next weekend for bait. Everybody's been saying it's tough for bait right now??? Are you trying to make macks at the 16, or just outside the harbor??? I usually hit my bonefish hole first, and if nothing there, then head right to the 16 to make bait. Nothing out there right now?? Maybe I'll just make some grunts in the harbor.

I am *so* dying to get on the water. Hopefully all the wheels will stay on my trailer! I do plan on bringing the boat back to the US when I head back up the road this trip. Just a bunch of maintenance items I need to address and it's easier to do it when it's sitting on the boat pad at my house than it is down in Rocky Point.

Robert - Phoenix Fishing Supply usually has the big jig heads and scampis. He had some this weekend.

ReelHard

grouper slayer
More than needing a bigger cooler i need fish boxes. but that would require a new boat. i would like to meet the jack ass that designed my boat so i could slap him. how could you build a fishing boat with no boxes. and have you seen the price of coolers. it might be cheaper to finance a new boat.

ReelHard

grouper slayer
hey robert. we make our own scampi jig heads i could help you out there. but like stuart said the scampi it self you get at phx fishing supply. just dont put the colors together. you need to keep them sepperated as the colors bleed on each other. unless you like vomit colored scampi.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
More than needing a bigger cooler i need fish boxes. but that would require a new boat.
Geez, I know where you can get this GREAT boat that has two monster-size fishboxes in the deck!! You can tow it over to the ice house and have a 100 lb. block of ice shaved and blown in them for 10 bucks and still have plenty of room for fish. Bonus points - the trailer it's on is aluminum, doesn't rust, was completely rebuilt last year, and the wheels don't fall off and pass you going down the street! <snicker>

The first time I saw the fishbox on Ric's boat, I thought "great fishbox if you're catching bait." Anything else, pretty much forget it. And Ric sometimes has 'em all over the deck! The only problem with a bigger cooler is you'll just catch bigger fish. My old boat had no fishbox; I used a big cooler that was strapped down in back of the bait tank. First time I took it to San Carlos, caught a nice 45 lb. dorado. Wouldn't fit. But, that's how you know you had a good day on the water - when you've got some tail sticking out of the box!

Cooler1..jpg

Geez, I wish Buoyweather looked better for the weekend. 12-16 knot winds, 3 footers. Eh, why can't it ever lay down? waah-waah-waah.

Just finishing a boat built with Rocky Point in mind. Its has two huge fish boxes with salt water sprayers, 10 cubic foot ice chest buit into the floor. The only problem is that I built six boat garages in Cholla Bay and it does'nt fit in any of them. This sould be a great summer in Rocky Point. Hopefully I can find a good skipper to help me get my feet wet.

Attachments

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Just finishing a boat built with Rocky Point in mind.
Ya ain't gonna get very far with no prop on that Merc! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Good looking fishing machine! Most any of us here would be happy to show you the ropes. But it will cost ya... beer, bait, candle light dinner - we're good, but not cheap!!
:cluck:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
This sould be a great summer in Rocky Point. Hopefully I can find a good skipper to help me get my feet wet.
I will be more than happy to teach you the correct method for losing every big fish that you hook into....:geek:

Seriously, this is my first full season fishing RP with my boat as well, and the guys on this forum, have all been aces at offering advice and guidance.

Now about those lost fish... I must have my revenge.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
hey robert. we make our own scampi jig heads i could help you out there. but like stuart said the scampi it self you get at phx fishing supply. just dont put the colors together. you need to keep them sepperated as the colors bleed on each other. unless you like vomit colored scampi.
Thanks Doug! I'll hit Phoenix fishing supply this weekend if I can...

For the jig heads- I'm pretty good with lead molding. Do you guys have to order the hooks? can you point me to a good source?

Shawno

Congrats Doug! When we spoke on Friday night, you weren't sure where to fish on Saturday. You definitely made the right choice. Man, what a beauty. I'll bet that Rhonda was in awe when you flopped it over the gunnel.

don

That's one helluva' a fish Doug; yeah maybe you need a bigger boat!

Speaking of boats, that's a dandy Pinto! Plenty of fish boxes,and lots of deck space.

So I have been coming to this forum for a couple weeks and have been reading all about the little things that I have seem to be missing out on when I come to RP. I leave from Nor Cal on the 16th of this month and will be in RP on the 17th. Since I will be down there for about 8 days I thought it would be a good time to blow the dust off the New Fenwick and badass abu I have so very much neglected over the years. I will be staying at Bella Sirena as I always have and I would love some input on some good places to surf fish. I have bought some bangin rapalas and on my way to pick up some Kastmasters. I have bought a bunch of Gamakatsu's and plan on baitin it up if the lure action is in the toilet. So again any ideas for some good fishin for some good eats?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
So I have been coming to this forum for a couple weeks and have been reading all about the little things that I have seem to be missing out on when I come to RP. I leave from Nor Cal on the 16th of this month and will be in RP on the 17th. Since I will be down there for about 8 days I thought it would be a good time to blow the dust off the New Fenwick and badass abu I have so very much neglected over the years. I will be staying at Bella Sirena as I always have and I would love some input on some good places to surf fish. I have bought some bangin rapalas and on my way to pick up some Kastmasters. I have bought a bunch of Gamakatsu's and plan on baitin it up if the lure action is in the toilet. So again any ideas for some good fishin for some good eats?
All just my opinion, but the best shorefishing is 15 miles east of town at La Pinta estuary. Your best chance for Corvina (Orangemouth and Shortfin) and Sierra are out there (although the water might just barely be getting warm enough for Corvina and Sierra in April)

April is usually pretty good for spotted Flounder in the estuaries as well, and they will eagerly grab a curly tail grub or swimbait slow rolled along sandy bottoms.

Closer in- LaMuara estuary (at the end of Las Conchas, or coming in from the other side by taking Playa Encanto road ) is also great for shore fishing, although it seems like I've always caught more "junk" fish in Morua estuary than the other spots- lot's of small Pompano, and Leatherjacks- good to keep you busy, but not worth keeping or eating.

When fishing the estuaries- keep the tides in mind- the current gets ripping in there when the tide is changing

For a locked in, sure thing chance at catching fish from shore, fish off the rocks on Pelican Point at Cholla Bay- you will load up on Spotted Bay Bass, with the possible Corvina or Trigger tossed in for good measure. There's even the slim chance at hooking a Leopard Grouper if you're lucky.

Thank you very much for the update. I have grown up fishing in a 24 and 1/2 foot Bayliner Trophy all over Canada and Oregon with catches of halibut to lings to albacore at certain times of the year. My point Is I have been spoiled with Not being shore locked but on this trip that might just have to occur. Since Cholla is close I think I will try that first. I look forward to the adventure. I actually whipped up some killer talapia tacos and margaritas tonight in celebration of next weekend.

Till next time... Rip lips!