fishing report 9-4-10

ReelHard

grouper slayer
well we launched early. buoy weather was not so close. we had wind and small white caps. yet it was still very fishable. we made bait quickly and made sure we hads plenty. the 1st reef we went to scott got hit almost instantly. the fish spit the hook within seconds. so he baited and made another drop. in two minutes he was hooked up again. this time he managed to boat a nice pinto about 15lbs. we continued to fish that reef for about another hour and a half without a nibble. so we decided to try our favorite reef. we got there and there were some divers down. we made about 6 drifts with nothing. so we decided to hit a deeper reef. once we got there the wind was picking up and the tide was ripping. we had a hard time holding bottom with 36 oz. but again scott hooked up again. this is not how it works. im usally the one catching and scott is taking pics. and he boated a leopard grouper. after losing about a dozen weights in the rocks we decided to go back to the second reef. the divers were gone. my 1st drop i got a big pinto. finally im on the board. we made a few more drifts. and had multipe hook ups. but lost them all to the rocks and broken leaders. we were now low on bait. so we headed towards shore to try and make more bait. well there was no bait to be had and the boat was running a little bad. so i decided we would troll for some rooster fish on the way back to the light house to make bait there. so we dropped back a few lures. one in the prop wash and the other on farther back. we were hooked up in minutes and landed a few roosters. after a few pics we released them. we got to the light hose and only caught about 3 grunts and 1 rock bass. we decided to head home. i fired up the boat and pushed the throttle. the boat took off and was up on plane in seconds. so i spun around and off we went to the 1st reef. i think the boat was telling us not to give up yet. we got there and and dropped down two live baits. and i grabbed an iron. i jigged about 5 times and got hammered. that fish just ripped drag off like it was in free spool. and i lost the fish. then scott got hit. then my live bait got hit. i set my jigging pole down. and turned to my other rod and grabbed it out of the holder and some how knocked my jigging rod over board. all i could do was watch it disapear. at least we were able to land to nice gulfs. we decided to head in and of course the boat was running like crap again. so gotta have my mechanic look at it this week. it is my birthday next saturday so i have to fish then.

Attachments

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Nice report... beautiful fish.

Damn Doug, were you wearing Jeans out there? wasn't it a little warm for jeans?

Sorry to hear your rebuild is still not running tip-top- hope you get thebugs worked out soon.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Dem be some big honkin' roosters! Good job! What were you trolling for them? Ted has these "Ranger" lures we were using to cast to them and they worked great. Heck, I was thinking of slow trolling a live bonefish - bet that would get their attention! :razz:

ReelHard

grouper slayer
we were trolling pink hookers at about 7mph. im sure a shallow diving spoon would also produce or use a planer with a ballyhoo in tow.

Kenny

I goggled "pink hookers" just to see if I could find out where they hang out, and there was way more info than I needed.:woo: