Fishing Report for March 16 to 20

Shawno

IMG_1143.jpgIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1161.jpgIMG_1162.jpg
Good friends Bill Biebesheimer from MN and Dave Karle from PA joined me for 5 days of fishing last week on my 23' Wellcraft "Murphy Girl". We caught a 100 pound black sea bass, 50 pound mako shark, 15 white sea bass to 35 pounds, 2 yellowtail, 8 leopard grouper, 2 pintos, and a bunch of gold spot bass. We had a few breakoffs that we think were gulf grouper, but weren't able to get any in the boat. We hooked up with another mako shark at about 8-9 feet long, but it cut the main line braid with its tail. We had rough seas for part of the day on Monday, otherwise the weather was fantastic. We made bait at 12 miles out each day, but it was not easy. One day we would catch plenty of horse mackerel and no sardines, the next day we would catch sardines and no mackerel. We had some success using iron, but most of the fish were caught with bait.

Attachments

Red Drum

Wow!

You guys friggin' whacked them good. Way to go on getting the job done on a great variety of quality size fish. Thanks for the report!

Gotta love those BLOODY DECKS!

WOW! Gotta love those BLOODY DECKS! Great photos and report. Thanks Shawno for posting this and letting me live vicariously on the reef. Tight lines!:cool:

Shawno

Mexico Joe - I know what you mean. I bought my boat in 2004 and have fished countless hours fishing the Sea of Cortez. This is the first shark we've ever caught and the only fish we caught the whole day on Sunday. Much respect to all who catch and release sharks.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Mexico Joe - I know what you mean. I bought my boat in 2004 and have fished countless hours fishing the Sea of Cortez. This is the first shark we've ever caught and the only fish we caught the whole day on Sunday. Much respect to all who catch and release sharks.
Apparently I'm the asshole here.:fail:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
To those that bitch, mako is the best of the best eating shark, and that's a perfect size. You can fish the Sea of Cortez for years and not catch one, or catch one, and never get it to the boat. Perfectly legal catch. Makos are NOT on the endangered species list.

In all my years of fishing, I've caught a few small black tips (nearly all released), one large blacktip (kept) but have yet to land a mako. Have seen a few, but unless you've got the right gear, or just plain get lucky, you're not going to catch them.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
To those that bitch, mako is the best of the best eating shark, and that's a perfect size. You can fish the Sea of Cortez for years and not catch one, or catch one, and never get it to the boat. Perfectly legal catch. Makos are NOT on the endangered species list.

In all my years of fishing, I've caught a few small black tips (nearly all released), one large blacktip (kept) but have yet to land a mako. Have seen a few, but unless you've got the right gear, or just plain get lucky, you're not going to catch them.

Isn't the fact that you never see them or catch them ever more reason to let them go? Such a majestic creature! Cousin to the White shark and fastest shark in the ocean. What would I know, I'm just an empathetic liberal...:jerry2:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I'm just an empathetic liberal...:blah:
Well then, take your (em)pathetic liberal happy ass to Puerto Lobos (or any fish camp) all along the Sea of Cortez and get all up in the face of the gill-netting pangas as they come in and gut hundreds of small sharks, leaving the live babies cut from the womb to die on the beach. Your anger at a fellow sportfisherman who takes ONE or TWO sharks over a period of many years is vastly misplaced!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Well then, take your (em)pathetic liberal happy ass to Puerto Lobos (or any fish camp) all along the Sea of Cortez and get all up in the face of the gill-netting pangas as they come in and gut hundreds of small sharks, leaving the live babies cut from the womb to die on the beach. Your anger at a fellow sportfisherman who takes ONE or TWO sharks over a period of many years is vastly misplaced!

Yea and after Im done doing that Ill go tell the Japanese off too huh?! ​SMH

Shawno

We encountered mako sharks near the boat on 3 of the 5 days we fished at 3 different spots at 23 to 52 miles out. We were not chumming or targeting sharks, just catching other fish that the sharks thought were an easy lunch. You can't avoid them sometimes and I hope to release the next one we catch unharmed.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Why not? You're a real commando telling people off from behind the keyboard, should be a piece of cake for ya.

SMH You're the worst offender. You're the keyboard commando that will ban someone for the slightest infraction and tell them to go suck it if they dont like it. I don't know if you have forgotten but this is an internet FORUM where people created conversation and VOICE THEIR OPINIONS for discussion. I didn't tell anyone off, I asked a question, and a valid one at that. Why are we killing the shark? SMH Whats that saying? People that live in a glass house shouldn't throw stones?