Fishing Report for Monday 6/22

Ed B

Small Potatoes
Saw the water really flatten out Sunday night at Sunset and decided if it's flat when we wake up we stay and fish. It was flat and we stayed. Left Safe Marine on The Wanderlust around 9am. Saw dolphins in front of Old Port playing as we were leaving. That's a good sign. Made bait and headed out to the our spot. The Wanderlust only cruises at around 11mph so it takes an hour to even get to the close points.We rigged one pole with an orange scampi and a live bait and the other pole with a double hook rig with live bait. Used 24 ounce lead and still had trouble holding the bottom. We fished for a few hours with no luck. We left the area we were in and headed to another spot. It was going to be 45 minutes so we decided to turn around and try one other point we knew about in the same area we had been in. Had only 4 live cabrilla left by this time. Marcia was up on the fly bridge and I set the double rig in a rod holder and let it out. I was holding the rod with the scampi and let it drop. As soon as it hit the bottom fight was on. At the same time the other rod started screaming as it had a fish on too. I yelled for Marcia to get down to the deck ASAP, that we had fish on both poles. I told her to just reel but the fish was too much for her and all she could do was hold it until I reeled up the first fish. We landed fish Number 1 and then I grabbed the rod to reel in fish Number 2. Exhausted after reeling in both fish we put them in the cooler and headed back to Safe Marine. Not sure how much these guys weighed because they do not have a scale at Safe, but the guys at the dock thought Number 1 was around 60 # and Number 2 was around 80#. All I know is that I was exhausted after reeling them both in from 130 feet right after each other.
:p

Ed B

Attachments

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sweet! A lot of nice grouper being caught this year! You just don't know the power of these fish until you're hooked up to one for the 1st time.

I may be heading out tomorrow. Looks the water will be good Friday, but then sucky again for a few days.

Where are you in Tempe? We should hook up sometime. I'm near Guadalupe and Kyrene.

Last edited:
*&%#*@*%*....I just about posted to see if anyone was going out on Sunday or Monday and wanted some fee paying co-captains. I better not let me son see those pictures!