Fishing report Saturday Sept.28

dmcauley

This weekend started out to be a bummer and ended up to be fantastic. Ricc invited me aboard his boat for Saturday early in the week but I had to say no bedause of my recent bouts with seasickness and heat exhaustion. I just didn't feel up to fishing those long hours and maybe ruining every bodies trip.
When I arrived in RP on friday my buddy talked me into just fishing the morning while it was still cool and so I started taking my ginger capsules a day early and drinking lots of water. This did the trick.
Ed Brockmeyer and I left the harbor on the "Josefina" in dense fog at around 6:30 Sat. a.m. and headed towards Pinto Point to make bait. We were having an unusually hard time making much bait but did manage to catch several rock bass , a grunt and a couple of sierra mackeral. While making bait I noticed some large fish on my sonar and when I threw my sabiki's after them I got a heavy hookup and my first break off of the day. What ever they were, (big sierra???) they wouldn't hit on any thing else.
Headed out with such little bait to a reef 14 mi out at 28 knots and made several unsuccessful drifts so I decided to go to an old coordinate 5 miles away. Great decision. On my first drift I hooked up a 25 lb Sardinero and brought him aboard successfully. The next drift I got slammed by a fish so big I couldn't tighten the drag down enough. The drag screamed and I fought him for a good 5 minutes until he caved up and broke the line. Really mangled the line. The third drift I was getting a good hit but Ed's rod doubled and he hooked up on a pink scampi, My line went slack so I helped him land his first grouper and largest fish he ever caught in Mexico, a 40 lb grouper.
All we had left were small baits and had no more hits. Oh! the hit I had when Ed got hit, ate all but the head of an 18 inch sierra. The hook turned into his body and didn't catch the fish. For me, any day putting 2 grouper aboard my boat is a good day so we cruised in with big smiles and more fish stories at 1 pm. It really doesn't suck getting old.
Dan

don

Congratulations Dan!
What a "Fantastic day, thanks for sharing, sure makes one want to head down there!"
Don

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Awesome, Dan! Glad you got on 'em! About time you splattered some blood on the deck of that new boat! ;)