Fishing Report Sunday Sept 6th.

YumaJames

Do you leave from Penasco or drive further south (Santo Tomas or Lobos) and start from there?
I keep my boat stored in Penasco so I start from there. Caballo is a popular fishing area about 15 minutes west of Bird Island so on average it takes about an hour to get out there from Penasco.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Felicidades James, how far out is that?
Dawg... very close to what James mentioned. About 24.5 miles from the Penasco harbor heading on 163 will put you on it. About 12 miles in to Bird Island from the Caballo.
Nice catch, James!

YumaJames

Thanks. Only been fishing Penasco last couple years and its the first time I've fished salt waters. Love the tuna fishing out of San Diego, still prefer tuna over any other fish, but I just love fishing Penasco. Hope to be down a lot this winter and in years to come, and have a lot of learning to do. Besides finding new spots, next step is to develop a better leader system. Currently I use fluorocarbon line to make the leader using dropper loops to attach a couple circle hooks to the line, but I think the big fish are busting my knots. On Sunday I hooked onto a fish I'm sure was at least 100 lbs, pulled it off the bottom, switched the reel into low gear, started slowly pulling her up, and thought the worst was over. Then the leader snapped, and this has happened before. Should've used less drag. Want to develop something strong yet cost effective. Done some internet research and the one I like best so far is:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=FLl20SZsOV2wWd8ubG7L4pLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Instead of using fluorocarbon for the entire leader, I like how he uses weaker mono to attach the weight so if caught on the bottom you just lose your weight, not your entire set up.

Last edited:

Estero

Thanks. Only been fishing Penasco last couple years and its the first time I've fished salt waters. Love the tuna fishing out of San Diego, still prefer tuna over any other fish, but I just love fishing Penasco. Hope to be down a lot this winter and in years to come, and have a lot of learning to do. Besides finding new spots, next step is to develop a better leader system. Currently I use fluorocarbon line to make the leader using dropper loops to attach a couple circle hooks to the line, but I think the big fish are busting my knots. On Sunday I hooked onto a fish I'm sure was at least 100 lbs, pulled it off the bottom, switched the reel into low gear, started slowly pulling her up, and thought the worst was over. Then the leader snapped, and this has happened before. Should've used less drag. Want to develop something strong yet cost effective. Done some internet research and the one I like best so far is:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=FLl20SZsOV2wWd8ubG7L4pLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Instead of using fluorocarbon for the entire leader, I like how he uses weaker mono to attach the weight so if caught on the bottom you just lose your weight, not your entire set up.
Tuna and Dorado bite is WIDE open over here in San Diego! Even the close in 9 mile bank is producing. Prediction is that the bite will continue into the fall as the water is very warm 74-76 degrees, I think a few Wahoo's have even been landed.

Use a loop to loop connection for your leaders. 200# hollow spectra to 100-130# flouro or mono. Use a short 20-30# sacrificial piece for your weight or even use a rubberband. I use rubber bands to attach my weights when I fish for giant tuna off clarion and hurricane bank. Works like a charm!