fishing weekend

ReelHard

grouper slayer
tides and seas look great for next weekend. and seeing how it is my b-day weekend gonna have to get in some quality fishing time. scott and i thinking of going to the 51. might even do an overnite trip. anyone else planning on fishing that weekend.

Not me.

But I am going down for my yearly 2-3 day trip down to La Pinta with my father on the 2nd (Is it really a year since we last went....). Ate the last of my Corvina a couple of weeks back, and it was still v.nice, but some fresh fillets will go down very nice indeed....

Anyone else around shore fishing that weekend?

Ed

But I am going down for my yearly 2-3 day trip down to La Pinta with my father on the 2nd (Is it really a year since we last went....). Ate the last of my Corvina a couple of weeks back, and it was still v.nice, but some fresh fillets will go down very nice indeed....

Anyone else around shore fishing that weekend?

Ed
I'll be down the 4th down on Playa Myanmar (north of the 2nd estuary). Be doing some shore fishing and getting out on the kayak to hopefully catch some nice Corvina like I did in May and possibly some cabrilla or triggers or something good in the deep channel at the estuary entrance.

How were you catching Corvina from shore? I only caught them just off the beach trolling plugs in the kayak.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
tides and seas look great for next weekend. and seeing how it is my b-day weekend gonna have to get in some quality fishing time. scott and i thinking of going to the 51. might even do an overnite trip. anyone else planning on fishing that weekend.
If Buoyweather looks good, Connie and I are bringing the boat back down for the fall/winter season. Got my annual maintenance all done (it's hell doing it yourself when it's been 115!). We'll definitely look for you two. My B-day's not far off, either, so this may be the only chance I get to go for a bit.

Some advice from experience? There's not likely to be much action at the 51 yet. Every year, I get that "51" itch and run out there in mid-Sept. and it's usually pretty much a bust. The action is still good closer in right now. The 51 doesn't really seem to pick up until Oct./Nov. But hey, you never know.

We'll likely hit the 18, 23 or go south down to the Caballo and maybe troll a bit if we see some good blue water. I'm also ready for some trolling and casting around the island. Haven't been to the island in forever and forgot what a great time it is trolling for sierra and ladyfish on light tackle. Just some plain 'ol fun fishing instead of grouper wrestling for a change! :p

How were you catching Corvina from shore? I only caught them just off the beach trolling plugs in the kayak.
I bait fish with frozen shrimp and a small lead for triggers, bass, etc, until I catch a corvina, then I switch to a 1/2oz Kastmaster. Search my other posts here and you will see more stuff.

Ed

I bait fish with frozen shrimp and a small lead for triggers, bass, etc, until I catch a corvina, then I switch to a 1/2oz Kastmaster. Search my other posts here and you will see more stuff.
Thanks. I was using the same rig with squid and catching mostly puffers and guitarfish, but was not in a good area (all sand). Caught nice (22") Corvina on jointed rebels trolled just offshore.

I see you fish La Pinta. I didn't know the name until I saw your Satellite photos. I will be just north of there (about 2 miles) and plan to try a paddle down there in the kayak. I'll post on how it goes.