fishing windy

:fish: fishing with bouyweather is a little risky lately, it is pretty accurate most of the time, but the last 45 days its been fooled by the winds that RP can dish out, hope wind calms in the next couple of months, since there is alot more grouper activity this year , hope everyone enjoys being out there just fishing, its kept me going back time after time

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
wishamako1 said:
its kept me going back time after time
Agreed. But it's gotten to the point that if it looks like it's going to blow, I just don't go. It's gotten too expensive to go hang out and drink because I got blown off the water. I only fish the good tides (1st and Last quarter moon) anyway, so that cuts it down to two opportunities a month. Add the windiest winter/spring I can recall, and those two weekends have been mostly wiped out.

Right now, I'm only using Buoy as a trend predictor. It's got to show me a couple days in a row of flat water before I get excited. These little windows of one day are generally not accurate and the wind is often blowing stronger than what buoy predicts. You don't know how much I *hate* getting out there, making bait on what seems like good water, only to get thrashed by the wind that comes up when I try to head anywhere decent to fish.

Makes it tough to plan fishing trips right now.

RIC

the bouyweather was definately off this time for saturday 4/25. We launched early at about 615 am and it was perfectly still. about the time we made it around pelican point a stiff north breeze hit us and picked up more and more until by 730am we were sitting in 3-4 foot steep chop 1 mile off shore catching bait. we tucked into the bay and fished for bass which were plentiful and running from 10 to 14 inches. we did this until about 100 in the aftn and the wind then turned to the west and started to calm slightly. we slow trolled a couple miles out and it felt do-able so we ran to the about 15 more miles to the west. byt the time we arrived at about 200 in the aftn the wind had completely stopped. it was still until about 400 in the aftn when it blew about 8-12mph from the west. the wind and waves for the day were just about completely opposite of what bouyweather was calling for on saturday. i agree with stuart that the best that can be hoped for is to get an idea of the trend with bouyweather and thats it. from now on i am going to plan my trips and launch early no matter what it calls for and just be ready with light tackle to fish inshore if needed and venture offshore only if the current conditions make me feel like it is do-able.

We only were able to fish offshore for 3 hours as Lupe would not be able to put us on the launcher after 630 pm due to the extreme low tide as he was not sure he could pick us up without getting stuck in the mud. We picked up one nice 15 lb leopard grouper on a live rock bass and hooked up and lost one grouper on a bass as well. A week ago there were a lot of sierra mackerel running close to shore in cholla bay but we did not see a sign of them this time. We also did not see any schools of pacific mackerel on the reefs we fished either.

Ric

www.RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM