Flare Gun Question

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
This has been asked on here before. You might try performing a search but I believe the answer was, Yes. Pry do not want to take my word for it but hopefully others will comment soon. Happy Holidays! Thank you for your contribution to the forum.

Roberto

I think if you had a flare gun tucked in your glovebox or were walking around in the Malecon with a flare gun in a holster on your hip you would have a problem. On the other hand if you had a flare gun in a boat or packed with a lot of boating gear, you prolly won't have a problem. If it is interpreted as a weapon it's bad.

JimMcG

Totally agree that it would depend on on how the circumstances would be interpreted.
If the authorities perceived it as a weapon, the carrier could end up in a Mexican jail for a very long time, whereas if
if it is treated as a typical piece of emergency equipment, it would pass muster with no negative consequences.

flicks

Totally agree that it would depend on on how the circumstances would be interpreted.
If the authorities perceived it as a weapon, the carrier could end up in a Mexican jail for a very long time, whereas if
if it is treated as a typical piece of emergency equipment, it would pass muster with no negative consequences.
Thanks JimMcG & Roberto

Estero

If this is for a boat get the parachute flares and not the regular ones that come with a standard flare gun. Lesson learned after spending a night adrift off Bird Island.

YumaJames

It's a good question and totally agree with the above comments. I trailer my boat down to RP every so often and have thought about this. Instead of taking the risk of carrying a pistol type flare I carry a hand-held "rocket" type projectile flare which can be bought at most popular marine stores, probably similar to what Estero is talking about. I've had my boat thoroughly searched while crossing the border and at various checkpoints in Mexico, and personally I don't want to run the risk of carrying a flare gun. Of course its best to carry as many safety devices as possible, but personally I don't rely much on flares if I'd get in trouble boating (which I have a couple times already in RP), rather I rely on a satellite texting device (Delorme), a VHF marine radio, and a filed boating plan with Safe Marina. If you're not buddy-boating most of the time there's not many boats out there that would even see your flare, especially if you're out in deeper waters mid-week.

Last edited:
I'd say if you are bringing anything into Mexico that could be even remotely mistaken as a firearm of any kind, just claim it and let them know you have it so you don't ruin your trip.
JMO

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Kind of an any given day thing. You'll have difficulty locating an "official" answer to this question, but the advice above is solid. If the flare gun is perceived as a weapon (i.e., you are carrying it in your purse or car, with no other boating equipment), then yes -- it is likely to be perceived as a weapon. However, if you have a flare gun on your boat along with other flares, your life jackets, flashlight, etc., it is perceived as safety gear. I have never had anyone question the one I keep on my boat -- it is in a bright orange case and is a bright orange plastic gun launcher, obviously not something I'm going to shoot up the town with.

Roberto

We might as well post a reminder that even pocket knives might also be better left at home before crossing.

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html
When I first moved here I had a random stop and search. In cleaning out the garage when I moved I came across 2 or 3 of the cheap chinese throwing knives. Without too much thought I put them in the door pocket. I always kept a pocket knife or two in the center console as well. One of them was a Vitoronex (?sp) multi tool knife with my name on it brought from the factory by a buddy. Yep, defined as weapons all confiscated and a $40 fine to boot.

I also had an 18 inch section of a pool cue which they started to define as a club until I pointed out the velcro on the end of the pool cue and the velcro on the passenger's door lock. The truck did not have automatic locks and it worked better than sliding across the seat. They went fot it and ignored the club !!

Last edited: