Flooded Road

Last night ABC15 10pm newscast reported the road to Puerto Penasco was completely flooded and closed. Resorts are refunding. How long is the road going to stay closed? Obviously til the water recinds, but is this common this time of year? I don't remember this the last 2 years.

GV Jack

Snorin God
J Dreamer...This is not common. Sonoyta in their infinate wisdom decided to rebuild the main bridge during the heart of the monsoon.

There is a detour that takes it "Over" a wash. Well it seems that not only with the strong finish to the monsoon, it appears someone
decided to drain a dam up stream on the Rio Sonoyta. This has caused flooding over the detour which has caused problems. It seems
today that the water is receeding some and the traffic is able to transverse in both directions this am. If you are planning on coming down,
I would suggest you check in on facebook with the "Sonoyta Detour Update" page. They have updates all day long. I'm going Wednesday
and that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks GV Jack for the more thorough explanation.....the news just said it was due to flooding and closed indefinetly. We are going down in 2 weeks so hopefully no problems by then. I am not on facebook, is there another way of checking the conditions?

Just an observation here: When the pp news report was on, they were showing a very large - pristine - most gorgeous aeriel shot of the sea of cortez/sandy beach area in the background. Usually when they report/slant on pp it shows a negitive image on screen and the report also is verbally negitive. This has to be the kindest most positive image I have seen in many many years. I have to say it was refreshing for sure! Hopefully a small sign of change?

GV Jack

Snorin God
Before you pluck me outta the wash, make sure I'm clean behind my ears. That's what my mama always did.

Beer and snacks in the cooler in the back. Come on down.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Playa...They have been crossing all vehicles all day today. About four to six inches of water and the pot holes are visible.

Here's a quote from the facebook site. "Gracias, Pat! Sept 17. 3:15. Crossing was easy , no waiting, looks like one lane of the new bridge is getting close"

There are videos of people going thru from this morning and this afternoon. Also, Roberto said he heard last week that they might have two lanes open on the new bridge around the 20th.

There's a video of that also.

My friends are stuck at Playa Miramar as the dirt road leading to Dorado and Miramar
is flooded and the road to the Mayan Palace is flooded and closed.

Is it raining down there?
I arrived on Friday and it has been blue skies ever since. There was a little overcast on Sunday but no precipitation. The water is from the Sonoyta River which historically has dumped into the estuary behind Playa Miramar but overran it's banks and flooded a wide swath of the desert. One more thing: the mosquitos and biting flies were brutal and with all the water laying around I expect the next couple of weeks to be nasty.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Your TV report had some serious lag. It was closed at times on Friday and a few times about a week ago, but it was open and easily passable yesterday when I drove home from Santo Tomas. I hear it is even better today. There is water on the roads going into Encanto and the Mayan so might check on those boards on this site.