Fresh Fish!

N

nojopo

We like fresh fish. Last time I selected three small whole fish with clear eyes from one of the fish stores on the Malecon and grilled them up. Kind of turned out so so.

Which is your favorite fish and which vendor has the best quality. Any favorite recipe?

dwig222

You have to be careful when buying fresh fish other than shrimp. We bought "scallops" once and they were not scallops. We've been going down for 35 years. The first ten years we just bought from anyone who had a good price. Then I started buying from one vendor who gave me good prices and good shrimp. BTW I buy about 100lbs of shrimp from October to February so I spend a LOT of money. After about 5 years of buying from one vendor, I got a batch of "rubber" shrimp. The next time I saw him I told him if he sold me one more batch of "rubber" shrimp I would find another vendor. Of course, when I was throwing a big Christmas buffet, and no one was eating the shrimp, I discovered it was once again "rubber".

About ten years ago I discovered Alberto & Jessie. They are on the opposite side of the main fish market, across from Mary's. I have never had even one bad shrimp. I have bought his fish and it is delicious. I go to see him a few days before I'm ready to buy and I give him my order which is usually thirty pounds. He has it ready with plenty of ice for my cooler. I have referred many people to him and they love him. He's (Jessie) is a great guy. Tell him you know the Americans who used to have the big blue truck and buy lots of shrimp from him and you expect a discount. He's a pretty big guy so you can't miss him.

dwig222

Oh I forgot favorite recipe. Not really a recipe, but a rub for just about every fish we eat. Sprinkle with McCormick Lemon Pepper, Weber brand Cajun seasoning and garlic powder. Let it sit for a while with the spices and grill it on a hot grill to get the blackening. Yum.

About ten years ago I discovered Alberto & Jessie. They are on the opposite side of the main fish market, across from Mary's. I have never had even one bad shrimp. I have bought his fish and it is delicious. I go to see him a few days before I'm ready to buy and I give him my order which is usually thirty pounds. He has it ready with plenty of ice for my cooler. I have referred many people to him and they love him. He's (Jessie) is a great guy. Tell him you know the Americans who used to have the big blue truck and buy lots of shrimp from him and you expect a discount. He's a pretty big guy so you can't miss him.

I agree Jessy is a good guy he's also my neighbor... he lives just down the street from me

Too bad Blackie stopped selling fish and shrimp....he was also on the other side of the street from the markets.....never got a bad batch or "short" weight from him....

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I have also been buying from Alberto & Jessy for the past 18 years and never a complain, excelent fish and shrimp and the service I get can not compare to nobody in the fish market, just tell them that Eduardo from Rocky Point Rides sent you and he will treat you right too!! good eats!!

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ He will treat you better if you tell Alberto that the ~~~ GREAT WEETA ~~~ sent you :gayfight:

dwig222

I'm confused! I said I buy my fish/shrimp from Jessie, but I meant to say Alberto. I thought Alberto was the big guy who seems to run the place and then there's another guy there that I assumed was Jessie. After all these years, I really don't know which is which. Alberto is the heavy set guy, right?

B

bahiatrader

No matter where you go, ALWAYS smell the fish. No matter what kind it is, it should always smell almost sweet. The slightest "fishy" smell means it's starting to decay. It's nice to think you're getting fresh shrimp, but a high percentage of the shrimp sold in Rocky Point has been frozen once. I have no problem with that. It;s still darn good. The best way to guarantee you have fresh fish is catch it yourself. That's my motto!

V

VacationVanessa

So good to know! We got some fish last time we were down there and when we cooked it up it was riddled with tiny little bones and we basically had to throw it all away. So sad. I need to stop by and meet these guys.

I'm confused! I said I buy my fish/shrimp from Jessie, but I meant to say Alberto. I thought Alberto was the big guy who seems to run the place and then there's another guy there that I assumed was Jessie. After all these years, I really don't know which is which. Alberto is the heavy set guy, right?
Jessie is a younger (at least younger than me) big guy, short dark hair, speaks good english...

marybna

I have been buying fish for many years. I also go to the place behind the Pemex for Shrimp and down to the Old Port for other stuff. The last talapia I bought was awful. We threw it out. The red snapper was fine. Is there some place, a market or something, were you can buy talalpia and other fish that always has good stuff?

audsley

Wow!!! The resurrection of this thread after nearly four years really gave me some startles! First I thought Seadweller was back, which would be a good thing. Then I saw a couple of posts from Happy and thought "Oh noooo, he's back!" Then I realized there was a pattern here and checked the dates below the posts and felt relieved. Just wish Seadweller would come back. He knew a lot of good stuff.

jben

tequila ... she's talking about Productos de Mariscos, the main seafood wholesaler in town. Best place to buy shrimp. You can specify brown or blue, no worries about weight and you can be sure every shrimp in the box is the size you are paying for. They have awesome frozen skinless, boneless flounder filets too.

Best advice when buying seafood at the port ... take an opened bottle of water. 1 pint = 1 lb or 1L=1kg. Either way, you can check the scale. When ever I do it, inevitably they quickly pull out the "real" scale. Oftentimes the price goes up too; but I don't mind being quoted a real price for real weight.