Gas price

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
We were down over the Holidays and were not expecting to see the cost of gas higher there than in Casa Grande. We paid 10.50 pesos per liter for regular. $ 3.32 dls per gal

mondone

Whitecaps
How true. Filled up twice at Sonoyta Pemex this week and price was $3.15/$3.14 a gallon. Price at Frys in Ahwatukee is $2.99. Didn't get the usual bargain I expected.:-(

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Stick around. The prices here in the US will go back up again and Pemex will again look like a bargain!

JayT

Such a role reversal lately between the US and Mexico with gas prices so low in Arizona at around $3/gallon - and we're lucky to be around 20 cents under the US national average right now. In Arizona, we've fluctuated between $3 and $4/gallon unleaded pricing over the last two years and have grown used to the volatile swings up and down. It also makes us feel like we're getting a great deal at Pemex when AZ pricing is up in the $4/gallon range. In Mexico, Pemex stabilizes the pricing, but has also steadily increased the retail price, month over month, since 2008. In 2012, Pemex steadily increased the average Magna price 9 centavos per liter on a monthly basis, and also did the same by 8 centavos/liter/month in 2010 and 2011. It is interesting that Pemex's published refined petroleum products public pricing for Magna is the same for "North Border" versus "Rest of the Country" while Premium unleaded pricing is higher in the "rest of the country". Wonder if Pemex imports premium from the US for the north border states? The big challenge for Pemex is that their oil production has seen steady decreases since 2007, and the government pulls a large portion of Pemex's revenue to fund the federal government while they could be reinvesting some of the proceeds into exploration and development of new reserves. Interesting, too, that the Pemex CEO is appointed by the Mexican President.

Both the US and Mexico have among the lowest retail gas prices in the world, so it could be much worse (ie. Europe) Always great to fill up the tank and enjoy a beautiful drive to Rocky Point.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Oil imports to the United States steadily decreased from 2005 through 2011, with U.S. exports steadily increasing by lots more. Current-trend projections show the U.S. will be a net oil exporter by around 2017. Incredible.
That has to be a shock for those who chant “Drill, Baby, Drill” and “Drill Here, Drill Now,” thinking more U.S. production will be used to reduce our gas prices.

Why is this happening? Follow the money. These practices by the oil oligopoly create U.S. oil scarcity. This market manipulation drives up gas prices and sells more oil on international markets at prices driven up by speculation. Result: increased profits....Colorado Springs Business Journal » Blog Archive » Reality about oil imports, exports might surprise you

jerry

Well Known Member
The natural gas pipeline that Kinder Morgan wants to run from the Altar Valley (Sasabe) to Puerto Libertad has been advertised as a solution to ending the 2nd dirtiest power plant in Mexico by converting it to ng.This is true,and good plus the new road from Sasabe (paved) is now going to happen.The problem is the extraction industry doesn't admit they plan on loading up tankers at Libertad with the stuff for shipments elsewhere.Again this is not bad for the US economy but our NG prices will go back up when these foreign customers come on line.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Jerry, can't wait until the Sasabe road is paved- is it going to go through Saric, or go west on the current "deluxe" dirt toll road? My husband took that road over Thanksgiving, and warned me not to take it.

jerry

Well Known Member
Jerry, can't wait until the Sasabe road is paved- is it going to go through Saric, or go west on the current "deluxe" dirt toll road? My husband took that road over Thanksgiving, and warned me not to take it.
I think the pipeline route and the new road route is the "toll road" route. That thing is a nightmare.....just when you think it can't get worse it rains and there is no road. This is going to be great for us,for Caborca farmers and for Mexican people that don't die from air pollution via the Libertad plant.