Getting crazy in Lobos

ReelHard

grouper slayer
As everyone probally knows. My boat is out of commission and is in for repairs. So in the mean time i got a kayak.
So Scott and i decided to head to Lobos this weekend. We arrived friday nite and camped out on the beach. We launched saturday morning at 5 am. The water was calm and there was no wind. i fired up the gps and entered in our spot and it was almost 4 miles away. So off we went.
We 1st stopped at our bait spot and had fun cathing rock bass and grunts. Scott was using a sibiki and i was jigging a iron. after we had a few baits flopping around in the bottom of our kayaks we had another half mile to go.
we arrived to the reef and started on the north end and drifted towards the reef. Scott dropped his sibiki down to see if he could get a fresh green back to throw on for bait. I heard him yell as his pole was doubled over. I think a small grouper grabbed his weight for a second befor it let go. He said man i was not expecting that. I almost fell out of my kayak.
A minute later as i was reeling up my iron as i thought i fouled the hook around the line. I got hit. The fished ripped out a little drag befor i started gainging line on it. I told Scott it had to be a yellow tail. As I got the fish boat side i realized it was a nice sized leopard Grouper about 15lbs. I tied him along side the kayak and dropped back down. A few minutes later scott was hooked up and landed a nice rose snapped also known as a colorado snapper.
we decided to make another pass. on our second drift we caught half a dozen or so nice size rock bass. we said this fishing is fantastic in kayaks. I said to scott it feels like we are on a lake.
Of course i had to say something. not more than 2 minutes later the wind started blowing. and i mean blowing. White caps were forming in the distance. So we decided to head for shore. and of course the wind was not in our favor. by the time we hit the beach. or should i say rocks!!!!! We were 3.85 miles from where we launched at.
we figured we could just pull the kayaks behind us in the shallow water. lets just say that was not a good idea. the waves were big enough to surf. and our kayaks kept flipping over and dumping all gear that we had to chase down. after we walk about 1.5 miles we were spent. we decided to pull our kayaks up on the beach and just walk back and find someone with a 4 wheel drive and have them bring us back to grab our stuff. It took us a total of 4 hrs to walk back from wher we launched with 25 mph winds blowing rite in our face.
We got to Teds place and asked him if he could give us a ride to get our stuff. He said no problem. we hopped in his jeep and grabbed the kayaks and gear.
I cant thank ted enough he was a life saver. we would have been screwed with out him there.

jerry

Wow you guys could have really gotten cut up! You Kayaked out 4 miles and caught big fish!!! Did you land on the North side of the point?

ReelHard

grouper slayer
yes. we were worried there was not a beach there. as we were aproching it looked like just a cliff wall of sand.

dmcauley

Hope you guys get a boat back quickly. Not a good idea to mess with mother nature. Glad you saved all, especially your hides.

It just goes to show how quickly the seas can turn....at the snap of your fingers and you can't outrun it or get around it and boy can it get real fierce real quick!!! Glad you made it back virtually unscathed.............

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Dennis was telling me about your misadventures! Ya fish'n nutz!!! Glad all turned out okay.

Wow, that sounds like fun (except the trip back). I'd love to get into some big fish like that. I'm going to have to try a sabiki and some live bait next time I fish the reefs off playa encanto.

But 4 miles one-way is a long paddle if the wind or tides turn against you. If the wind is pushing you laterally, you have to turn and paddle into the wind, then lateral, then into it again, etc.
What kind of kayaks were you paddling? There is a big difference between a good sea kayak and a near-shore toy as I've found through personal experience, though nothing as bad as yours.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Ok, First-off I'm glad you and Scott are safe and sound... and I'm glad you caught fish.

Now, having said that- I am laughing my ass off at the mental image of all of this... :)

azfish

That sure sounded scary as hell, good to see you made it back to tell the story.
One question for you, did you have the fish in the water tide to the kayak?

Lobos

Ok. I'm tired of hearing on the fishing in lobos. I think you are all are stretching the truth,and should stay fishing in rocky point.There are more fish there. Ha ,Ha. Leigh

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Ok. I'm tired of hearing on the fishing in lobos. I think you are all are stretching the truth,and should stay fishing in rocky point.There are more fish there. Ha ,Ha. Leigh
Secrets out Leigh! The internet can be devastating, however some of these guys dont have the fortitude to drive all the way down there so dont worry you'll be ok for now at least, lol.

No,it's all good .I send people to where I fish, and they just don't seem to be able to catch fish. I've been fishing the same area for 20 plus years. life is good Leigh

Red Drum

Way cool of Ted to help you out...gotta to thank your "lucky stars" that you made it back safely. Mother Nature can be very unforgiving. Thanks for the Lobos report.

don

What an exciting trip! Thanks for the story.

What kind of Kayaks were you fellas using? Did you purchase them, and would you recommend them?
Don

ReelHard

grouper slayer
the kayak is a future beach. it is 10 foot 6 in. which i mounted in 2 flush rod holders. i would like to sell it to get a bigger one for off shore fishing. i would recommend this kayak for inshore fishing. or the estuaries. i would take 225 for the kayak. i payed 290 for it and only used it twice.