Gill nets....the bomb drops

jerry

Well Known Member
José Jesús Camacho Osuna described the ruling as “very bad news,” explaining that the economic impact on local fishermen would be “very big” and hurt a lot of families. He said it will even affect seafood products bound for China, such as jellyfish, because they transit through the United States on their way to their final destination.

The communities most affected by the ban will be San Felipe in Baja California and Santa Clara and Puerto Peñasco in Sonora, Camacho said.

In order

brokenwave

Well Known Member
The Vaquita situation is bleak per any articles I've read about it. Drastic situations sometimes require even more drastic actions.

Wish the consumption of Totoaba would disappear, but I bet gill nets would still be used.
I was snorkeling in front of my house in Cholla at Pinto Point and saw a gill net in action. Pretty sad thing to see, we saw all kinds of fish snared in it and hooked.

The fishermen and families will suffer from this,
Is it too little too late?
Is trying to save the Vaquita worth all of this effort?

Lots of questions and really no winners here, unless somehow in 5 years the
Vaquita population becomes 50-100 vs the 15-20 estimated to still exist.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Getting rid of gill nets 20 years ago might have made a difference. Today? I dunno, too little, too late. I recall a trip out to the 17 a few years back. We anchored up over the reef, but caught nothing. Went to pull anchor (Mighty Mite grappling anchor) and that thing was stuck solid. Backed down hard on it and finally got it to break free. When I pulled it aboard, there were pieces of six different nets on it. How do I know six? Each was a different color.

No wonder there were no fish, but worse yet, the nets had obviously been broken off and were abandoned. Sitting on the reef as indiscriminate killing machines. Have said it in the past, the Mexicans are often their own worst enemy.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Wouldn’t a sport fishing industry boom if the gill betters went away?
Indeed. They should sell a sport fishing license for limited totuava take (like 2) and use the money for breeding and restocking programs. There are plenty of them out there and without gill nets, there would be a lot more.

jerry

Well Known Member
Shit. "

MEXICALI, Baja California (GH)
Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Friday that the closure of the Upper Gulf of California will be reviewed and that there will be support for fishermen in this area.

During his thankful tour of northwestern Mexico, he arrived in San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, where he delivered his message at an event attended by around three thousand Sanluisinos.

The president-elect said that he will send the new head of the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat) to this area to review the options available for the care of the environment but also for the fishermen.

Santos Gonzalez Yescas, mayor of San Luis Río Colorado, said the goal is for fishermen to return to the sea and asked the president-elect to send the new owners of the agencies involved in the closure to work on a solution. "The sea is theirs (the fishermen) and we have to unlock this," he said.

For his part, Sunshine Antonio Rodríguez Peña, leader of the fishing community that attended the event, said he expects that the necessary tests and studies will be carried out to allow fishermen to return to the sea"