Golfing in P.P.

Going down this weekend and going to play golf at the Mayan Palace - has anyone played there before - how is it?

Also, we might try either Las Palomas or Laguna Del Mar to play at - any opinions? - I understand that Laguna Del Mar only has 9 holes so you basically play those twice - I've seen the course at Las Palomas and it doesn't really look that interesting. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Bob Oso

I've only played Las Palomas, once for JJ's first tournament, and the other with a group of friends. The course plays alot different than it looks from the street. You're right, it's not that interesting, but there are a few holes that'll give a run for your money, and it's nicely kept. One thing I noticed is that the fairways are cut way low and hard packed. They get a little better around the fringe, but sorta the same hard pack on the greens.

The guys in the pro shop seems to be a little hit and miss, I'm sure he's a pleasent gentleman, but edgey for such a laid back job. Then again I don't run a course, so it's just my opinion. They are pretty strict on beverages, no bringing your own, but will set you up with a cooler to use when you purchase their beer or what ever. And if I remeber correctley, no beer cart wheeling around.

Over all the views are spectacular and the price is fair for the course and a cart. Most of all it's Mexico, it's golf and you'd have to be hard pressed not to have a good time.

One last thing, I think it was the 15th hole, par 3, with the green next to a pond. A Lady from our group drove the hole about 6ft. from the pin when one of the seguals nearby walked over picked it up and flew away only to drop in the middle of the pond. Never seen that happen before, but still charged her s stroke for for dropping another ball.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Las Palomas is a fun course and yes the seagulls can be irritating especially when you know you drove the ball down the middle and a good ways down and when you get there it is gone........I did that then found one of my balls on the beach in front of Las Palomas during a beach walk the next day.
Beer cart was rolling when i played so I am not sure what Bob is talking about but she comes around infrequently so pack some from the pro shop. The course is indeed well maintained.

I have never played Mayan but I here from some that it is very tough. The greens are well protected but a side not 9 of the holes are along the sea of Cortes' so who cares if it is tough.

Come down and have fun, if you play at Las Palomas tell Ivan or Ron (in the pro shop) that you want to play for 35.00 cuz thats what you heard it was going for these days and see if that doesnt get you a nice discount!

Roberto

Golfing

The golf course at the Mayan is absolutely kick ass. Difficult but incredibly beautiful and well managed. I'm not a golfer but my son is and he really enjoys the course. They have been having a lot of specials so be sure to check that out. Call 638-383 GOLF. e-mail [email protected], Managers name is Andrew Gilcrest.

Club at Laguna Del Mar e-mail [email protected]
Tele 638-383-0000 ext. 'golf shop'
Play any day $35.00 usd. 18hole equivalent.

Have a great time!

MIRAMAR

The groundskeeper at the Mayan gave my husband and I a tour, and it's beautiful. My father has played there, and he said it's very difficult. I like the fake saguaro they built so an osprey could build his nest on it by the estuary. High tide would be the most scenic time.

Golf

My husband had the worst game of his life in May at Laguna del Mar and one of the best games of his life at Las Palomas in July. He is just such a happy camper that there are even golf courses in RP!! He enjoyed both courses....this was the first time he played LdM in a few years, so it was a nice change from LP where he has been playing. He has never played the Mayan, so please, please Senor Pescado......report back after you play!!!! I would play one of the courses just for fun if the price was right (not the Mayan though). I suck at golf, so I refuse to pay big money to play it!! (I prefer to stick to the executive courses, LOL!) He agreed with you Bob about the fairways, but he does find the course somewhat interesting, but that's probably because of what you said....it's Mexico, it's golf, what's not to love??? (He's a diehard!) In the pictures below, is this the hole the woman lost her ball to the bird on???

Russ, Ron and I worked at the Forty Niner's Club in Tucson at the same time many, many years ago. He actually remembered me when we went into the pro shop last December....couldn't believe it! So, I'm going to tell him what you said about the discount LOL!!

Anyway, the hubby has no complaints about either course really. He'll be on one of the courses in a couple of weeks!!!!!! (That's why I would like an update Senor!!!)

Happy golfing!!

Attachments

Bob Oso

Beachgirl, that very well could be the hole, sure looks like it.

Sr. Pescado, definatley toss up a report on the course, and remember head up, tail down...LOL

Now for everyone else who enjoys chasing a little white ball around, who'd be interested in getting a mini-tournament put together? My wife has organized many of these, and oddly enough loves doing it. Stuart / Tyler you guys mind putting RTP.com name on it. I sure Mark ( Seadweller ) could certainly come up with a worthy cause to donate any proceeds to.
If I had to come up with a tenitive, I'd say the Friday after Thanksgiving would be a good place to start. Anyway I'm just throwing it out, anyone interested?

AZ ROB

You can put Michelle and I down for the golf tourney I am sure you guys will need something to laugh at. We prefer best ball that way I can be in the club house before dark

We would so be interested in that (I'd play a "big boys" course if it was for a charity, LOL), but unfortunately our next trip down (after this one coming up) probably won't be until January. But anything is possible, right??

I will get a report up after the weekend. I play regularly up here in Phoenix, but i stink - just like to get out and play. The guy i'm playing with is a great golfer - very low handicap - so he will be the real judge. I just hope there is a little breeze because it's still scorching in Phoenix and i'm thinking its going to be warm in P.P.

Best ball is definitely the way to go....this coming from someone who can't drive the damn thing farther than 25 yards...........LOL!!!

AZ ROB

Best ball is definitely the way to go....this coming from someone who can't drive the damn thing farther than 25 yards...........LOL!!!
Good thing you play from the womens tee's us poor guys have rules about not hitting past the ladies box

We played in wonderful executive course in Litchfield Park in February.....Palm Valley Golf Course. Are you familiar with it? I just heard on the radio that summer is definitely not over.....argh!!! Take plenty of water and sunscreen and good luck!!! BE THE BALL!!!!!!

Bob Oso

Well it appears it's off to somewhat of a promising start. Yes, best ball scramble for sure. I'll be in Cholla this weekend so I'll stop by Las Palomas and see what their schedule is. I'll also talk to the wife and see what she thinks a good number would be, and how to proceed from here. I'm leavin tomorrow morning, so those who are interested keep this thread going so I can have a preliminary count for when I get back Tuesday, and we'll take it from there.

AZ ROB

Michelle loves the palms course at Palm Valley she tries to play as often as she can. This time of year I prefer to play at Maryvalle or at wigwam red course not because I am good those 2 courses are mostly in the shade A fat man like me needs shade

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Im an avid golfer, been playing my whole life and work in the industry here in Phoenix. Both Las Palomas and La Peninsula de Cortez (Mayan Palace) are championship golf courses. Las Palomas is good, but the Mayan is Great! If the mayan was in Phoenix or the States in general, it would be $200 a round and for $55 plus tax its a steal. If your going to play just once I recomend the Mayan. Its a 20 min drive from the sandy beach area but the scenery and the condition of the golf course cant be beat. It is a Jack Nicklous course and that speaks for itself ifJoes Pics 124.jpg you know anything about golf. Ive posted on here before about the golfing in RP so search for other threads by me or about golf and you can reaJoes Pics 344.jpgd other posts about the courses. I included pics in one of them but Ill post a few more here. Ive played Las Palomas 5 or 6 times and Mayan 3. TJoes Pics 112.jpghe conditions of both courses are prime this time of year but if you have to choose one or the other and dont mind paying just a bit more and drJoes Pics 142.jpgiving out to the mayan, its the choice bar none. Even if you suck at golf the scenery will make up for it and the course if right on the ocean. Joes Pics 113.jpg

Joe, do you know what their "ride-along" policy is? Like I said, I won't play the big courses', but I might ride along (if it's not too hot!!).