grim

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
I just gotta see another picture of the Original Dog. From this view, he just doesn't look like a Ridgeback. I had on once. He would jump my 6-foot fence like it was nothing. Soon, all the little puppies in the neighborhood had little ridges going up their backs...my bad!

I just gotta see another picture of the Original Dog. From this view, he just doesn't look like a Ridgeback. I had on once. He would jump my 6-foot fence like it was nothing. Soon, all the little puppies in the neighborhood had little ridges going up their backs...my bad!
Ridgebacks are cool, very protective, I used to own one before moving to Mexico...

playaperro

El Pirata
Did you see his pic on my facebook?

What 3 dogs did they mixed together to get a ridgeback? don't cheat!

Kenny

:eek3: He doesn't look like John Wayne to me.

Hey playa, I'm on facebook, maybe you would like to be my friend.:p

Kenny

Look below! From hanging out with me you are starting to get a little sense of humor, and along with that, when you put in some off beat digs at our benifactor..that shows promise.:sunny:

Why do you hate ~~~HAPPY~~~ so much?

You better find a better product to smoke.

Trying to play with our troll is a little troubling though..LOL

jerry

It seems that the principal crosses used with the Khoikhoi dogs were Greyhound, Bulldog and Pointer. But it´s known from Selous that in 1885 Nellis had a deerhound- like dog- in the other words a large, rough-coated Greyhound. The data also suports statements, that Nellis used Airedale and Irish Terriers and Collies. He also used the terriers and buldogs -breeds which we know are certainly part of the Ridgeback gene pool.One might infer that Fox Terriers and Boarhounds (Great Danes) were also used at this time, but there is not direct evidence, that van Rooyen used those breeds.
Van Rooyen ´s criteria in breeding dogs were very simple:
A good dog was one which survived.- a bad one was one which did not.

Of the good ones, some would have stood out for their antagonism and courage to face lions and their speed, endurance agility and cunning in harrying them. By and large, the Khoikhoi dog crosses produced both ridges and hatred for lions. Whatever deliberate breeding program Nellis undertook to build on those features, performance came first - apperance, except as it influenced performance - a pooor second. His selection would have been based on and second to natural selectioon.
The breeds used by van Rooyen for breeding had some desirable and undesirable features.

playaperro

El Pirata
It seems that the principal crosses used with the Khoikhoi dogs were Greyhound, Bulldog and Pointer. But it´s known from Selous that in 1885 Nellis had a deerhound- like dog- in the other words a large, rough-coated Greyhound. The data also suports statements, that Nellis used Airedale and Irish Terriers and Collies. He also used the terriers and buldogs -breeds which we know are certainly part of the Ridgeback gene pool.One might infer that Fox Terriers and Boarhounds (Great Danes) were also used at this time, but there is not direct evidence, that van Rooyen used those breeds.
Van Rooyen ´s criteria in breeding dogs were very simple:
A good dog was one which survived.- a bad one was one which did not.

Of the good ones, some would have stood out for their antagonism and courage to face lions and their speed, endurance agility and cunning in harrying them. By and large, the Khoikhoi dog crosses produced both ridges and hatred for lions. Whatever deliberate breeding program Nellis undertook to build on those features, performance came first - apperance, except as it influenced performance - a pooor second. His selection would have been based on and second to natural selectioon.
The breeds used by van Rooyen for breeding had some desirable and undesirable features.
Great reply Jerry, Playa has a rough coat with greyhound ears, I've had others that had hound ears.

Attachments