Hi we are considering buying in Rocky Point, Need to know the Best way to get there

Hotiron

:) We have been looking at condos on line in the Sandy Beach area. We are coming down in the spring, we will be flying from Michigan.
I have a few questions, Is it better to fly into Phoenix or Tuscan and drive down?
Also if we rent a car, are you allowed to drive the rental into Mexico? And does the rental car provide insurance that will cover us in Mexico or do we need to buy some type of Mexican rental car insurance?
What are the other options for flying to Rocky Point? Looking for the most convenient way to get to Rocky Point. I've heard you can fly there by commuter plane from Tuscan and Phoenix, I'm wondering once we get there if it would be easier to rent a car after we arrive?
Help? lol :D

Last edited:
We usually fly into Phoenix and Rent-A-Car there. We have better flights into Phoenix then Tucson both places take about four hours to drive down. There are flights from Las Vegas to Rocky point but they are quite pricey. I don't tell the car rental place I am taking it to Mexico. I do buy insurance in Ajo before going into Mexico. There are not a lot of rent a car places in Rocky point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hotiron

We usually fly into Phoenix and Rent-A-Car there. We have better flights into Phoenix then Tucson both places take about four hours to drive down. There are flights from Las Vegas to Rocky point but they are quite pricey. I don't tell the car rental place I am taking it to Mexico. I do buy insurance in Ajo before going into Mexico. There are not a lot of rent a car places in Rocky point.

Thank you so much for the info, we appreciate that very much. I'm assuming Ajo is on the way?
Sorry, we are new to this site and we aren't familiar with the area.

Hotiron

Thanks, my fiancé knows where Ajo is..:)

Roberto

Bad idea to not tell the rental company you are going into Mexico. Could easily result in a huge and expensive problem. There are currently no scheduled commercial flights into Penasco. There are 2 good vehicle rental businesses in Penasco with good , varied inventory, from compact up to a 12 passenger full size van. Insurance is included in the rental cost. Bufalo car rental in Penasco 638-388-9999. Call and inquire. They offer to send a vehicle up to your arrival airport with a driver and bring you down, then you can rent from them, was like 450 pesos for 24 hours last I rented. Real nice vehicles but make an advance reservation as they often have no vehicles on teh lot..

JoseAz

Hertz will allow you to take a rental a short distance into Mexico (60 miles from the border) We have taken rentals to Rocky Point.
Fly into Sky Harbor (SHIA), hit the rental car center and you will be on the beach in 4 1/2 hrs.

Hotiron

Bad idea to not tell the rental company you are going into Mexico. Could easily result in a huge and expensive problem. There are currently no scheduled commercial flights into Penasco. There are 2 good vehicle rental businesses in Penasco with good , varied inventory, from compact up to a 12 passenger full size van. Insurance is included in the rental cost. Bufalo car rental in Penasco 638-388-9999. Call and inquire. They offer to send a vehicle up to your arrival airport with a driver and bring you down, then you can rent from them, was like 450 pesos for 24 hours last I rented. Real nice vehicles but make an advance reservation as they often have no vehicles on teh lot..
Thank you so Much!!! Great advice much appreciated!

Hertz will allow you to take a rental a short distance into Mexico (60 miles from the border) We have taken rentals to Rocky Point.
Fly into Sky Harbor (SHIA), hit the rental car center and you will be on the beach in 4 1/2 hrs.
Which hertz location allows this as my family had to purchase insurance that covered the car 250 miles into mexico...

JoseAz

Which hertz location allows this as my family had to purchase insurance that covered the car 250 miles into mexico...
I recall we bought 3rd party mexico auto insurance just like we do for our personal vehicles and we only went to rocky point. not sure of the program to go deeper

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Make arrangements with http://www.headouttorockypoint.com/ to pick you up at Sky Harbor Airport in PHX they will take you to the door of the place you are staying at or to the rental car places Rubertoe mentions above, you will be saving tons of dollars for the upgrade on the condo;)

Roberto

Make arrangements with http://www.headouttorockypoint.com/ to pick you up at Sky Harbor Airport in PHX they will take you to the door of the place you are staying at or to the rental car places Rubertoe mentions above, you will be saving tons of dollars for the upgrade on the condo;)
I think it's a lot cheaper with a small group to go the Bufalo route and have them send a driver to pick you up. Flat charge, think $50 for the driver and similar per day for the vehicle. The vans charge by the person.

Landshark

Hotiron, with all due respect, why do you want to buy a condo in Rocky Point? You live in Michigan so frequent short term visits are unrealistic. You've never been to RP, don't know the way or specifics on how to get there. There are no flights currently coming to RP, so you will need to fly to Phoenix and arrange transportation to RP which would be an all-day expensive hassle. In the future flights may be available, but no guarantee. There are non-stop flights to many other Mexican beachfront destinations with cheap airfare. A quick flight and a taxi or shuttle ride and you are beachfront sipping a margarita. No disrespect but why RP?

given the age of the poster, maybe they are setting up for future retirement?
Possibly they have friends that have been to RP and recommended it.

dwig222

Why not just call a realtor like Rocky Point Dan or someone to arrange transportation for you, give you a tour, show you condos, etc. for a possible sale.