Highway from Sonoita Flooded

Roberto

Just had word from a traveller that all vehicle traffic bound to Penasco is being stopped at Sonoita. Word is that a large rainfall has flooded and washed out the road apparently right in Sonoita at the Pemex at the intersection. If you are waiting for people, as I am, it could be a long wait.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
WOW.

The bridge was already torn down to be rebuilt, and now the detour road through the wash is flooded out as well...?

not good.

Roberto

Not sure of the complete actual details. The road is closed for sure at this moment. No traffic is permitted to go and there is no other route to Penasco possible. One person said something about a dam breaking, might have been related to the constructions. Details will come out over some time. My guess is that it will take awhile to get the roadway cleared and traffic moving again

Roberto

We are planning a lawsuit against the construction company and the state of Sonoita for lost income. We will file just after we finish the Class Action against your rude comments.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
We will file just after we finish the Class Action against your rude comments.

Well, all good things must come to an end... I'm signing off for today. Time to go enjoy a cold margarita in the real world, and be thankful I'm not going to be subject to Oregon's dopey Dram-whatever law... :ugeek:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I heard a twelve hour delay at about 3:00 this afternoon, this is not good news for folks coming down for this weekend. Whats that they say about Mother Nature?..........

What Mexican genius decided to do this work in monsoon season?
OMG...I actually have to agree with you.....is this a first?

There are ways to get around the bridge...but most likely would require a 4wd, especially after the rains....there are dirt tracks that you can see from the border that would empty you out on the other side of town (southeast), then backtrack.....just go to google maps and zoom in with satellite view from Lukeville crossing.....there is even a good dirt road that runs parallel to the "fence" on the Mexican side.

Kenny

I think a lot of the water could be coming from here, it looks like a river outside on my dirt road.

Oh, and by the way, it's just not a Mexican thing about timing. They have Senator Hwy all tore up for over a mile starting at Gurley, and yesterday I had to go half way out of town over on the other side, and then cut back across to get home, because it's now a muddy river.. It's "monsoon' season up here too.

jerry

I swam across again no stopping Me!
well my 3 legged dog is a good swimmer so why wouldn't a 2 legged one? Sasabe for me,the Beltrans be damned oh the pipeline should make a paved road to the Coastal Highway from Sasabe a done deal...If the damn ranchers and tree huggers don't stop it. This is great news for Tucson people headed to the beach!!!

Mexico bets on cross-border a natural gas pipeline, but questions abound in U.S. - Inside Tucson Business: News: mexico, natural gas, buenos aires national wildlife refuge,

Are there any updates on this? My gf and I are going to rocky point for the first time ever this Wednesday and are planning on a romantic vacation. The toyota corolla we are driving isn't exactly an offroad vehicle and the only direction that I know to take is this one. What is the best way for me to stay on top of this and are there any alternate routes that I could take?

Roberto

There are no viable alternative routes. The road is passable at this point today, Saturday morning. 7/14, a bit rough but OK if you take your time. By Wed, unless there is another storm, you should be OK. That is a main route for Mexican local and lond haul traffic as well as tourists so they will have to get it opened. Keep checking here, there will be current info posted as we go along.

Terry C

An email I recieved this AM

we arrived at 4:00 and gave up and went back to Phx around 730 because it was a cluster _____ with everyone trying to cross the arroyo and no semblance of order and a rainstorm on its way. I called D and D and gave them a warning and they decided to try to come on Saturday. I met D and D at the Why gas station this morning at 7:30 and we arrived with no hassle and/or traffic around 9:00 AM to the Casa in Playa Encanto.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Radar showed a brief shower in Sonoita about 1:15. Got a good rain here in GV for the last hour. Storms are popping up all over and going from South to North.

Nothing at or near Sonoita now, but it could pop up anytine in this juicy atmosphere.