Highway from Sonoita Flooded

Driving through later this morning and will give an update then. If you really need to make the trip at this point just do it. Obviously the local police know of the problem and are doing all they can to remedy the situation.

Just saw a post on FB from a RP resident that the river at Sonoita crossing was bumper high on a Dodge Ram at about 7:30 this morning.....

El Golfo, anyone????

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Joe, Mark mentioned an extra 4 to 5 hours for that trip and he is probably right. After you exit El Golfo, there is an Army checkpoint, its not like here where they usually wave U.S. residents thru, they ask you to get out of your car and then they search it. There is 1 lane for cars and 1 lane for commercial trucks and on a Sunday afternoon it takes forever. Then you have to cross the border at San Luis, time wise anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.

Thanks Bill...I had thrown the 4-5 hours out.....I've been to El Golfo on the Coast Highway...took about 1.5-2 hours (made a couple of stops for photo ops).....but not any further. It may be the only alternative to getting stuck (not a bad thing) in Penasco another day.....

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Thanks Bill...I had thrown the 4-5 hours out.....I've been to El Golfo on the Coast Highway...took about 1.5-2 hours (made a couple of stops for photo ops).....but not any further. It may be the only alternative to getting stuck (not a bad thing) in Penasco another day.....
If not for the army checkpoint and the border wait, it would be about a 6 hour trip to Phoenix, 2 1/2 hours to San Luis and about 3 1/2 hours more to Phoenix. I think I will go ahead and stay a couple more weeks here to make sure the crossing is ok, or maybe wait for the monsoon season to end, about the end of August.

This is supposed to be the phone number for the US Border crossing....someone called and they were able to get somewhat of an update on the status of the detour over the river bed.....said that they were only seeing high profile vehicles (this was about 9:30am)...not the best info...but at least an indication of what kind of traffic is getting thru.

520-387-5671

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
Headed across in a couple hours, so Johnny555 or whoever, really appreciate any further update. Got a good, overland-setup SUV. But also the wife and kids inside, so the biz meeting I have in NM tomorrow isn't THAT worth it. Joe, Jerry, Kenny, Perro, go easy with comments about the wife and kids being better swept into Estero Morua along with Obama...

jerry

Tmotsinger my president will just walk on the water and save the whole Family...have fun if you find yourself ready for a ride drop on down to Santo Tomas ,get the lots for sale map,drive in front of the condo,park and come down to the isolated beach for a swim..
Headed across in a couple hours, so Johnny555 or whoever, really appreciate any further update. Got a good, overland-setup SUV. But also the wife and kids inside, so the biz meeting I have in NM tomorrow isn't THAT worth it. Joe, Jerry, Kenny, Perro, go easy with comments about the wife and kids being better swept into Estero Morua along with Obama...

playaperro

El Pirata
Tom be sure and check for empty beer cans....need report when you cross, damn storm in Tucson right now plenty of thunder directv out...going to redbox..

Another recent post on FB...about 15 minutes ago...."
Construction is going on right now and they are letting a couple vehicles go at a time while they are working on it...you can get through....may take awhile though if you head back when everyone else does."

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hopefully it won't be closed too long now. The radar shows on little spot, nothing heavy, on the highway east of why, and then nothing back behind it.

Supposed to be juicy again tomorrow and then easing off for a few days. Let's hope that's correct.

We left town at about 12:15 today - got into Sonita and across the detour relatively quickly - crossed back into the US quick and just past the Visitor's Center in Organ Pipe a wall of water came down on use. We continued for some distance getting through one wash before coming to a standstill. It took us 2.5 hours to get through the National Park as we waited for the washes to become passable - Border Patrol closed down one wash and was holding traffic back so no they wouldn't have to go in and save some moron in a sedan that thought they could get through this. These rains are great but suck when your trapped.

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
Tried posting 3 times earlier, but the forum software wouldn't recognize me. Sonoyta River crossing was fine at 4:00--water passing harmlessly though the culvert. 2 hour delay south of Why, though, due to flooded wash crossings. Many turned back to Peñasco due to "4 hour" rumors. Then all cleared for crossing. Including a detainment at the border and a crowded McD in the Bend, a 7-hour trip.