Holy freakin' cow

Keen listeros may recall me posting 18 months ago about my truck getting taken apart at the border after Circus Mexicus, CBP radioing Pima County Sheriff deputies about empty beer bottles in the back, and me consequently being arrested for violating Arizona's open container law. Be very diligent, people.
Wow...what a sucky way to end a great weekend

mis2810

Keen listeros may recall me posting 18 months ago about my truck getting taken apart at the border after Circus Mexicus, CBP radioing Pima County Sheriff deputies about empty beer bottles in the back, and me consequently being arrested for violating Arizona's open container law. Be very diligent, people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I remember that. I think of it every time I bring back an empty case of Coronas. That they would be considered "open containers".

We are required by law in Seattle to recycle so it felt criminal tossing my bottles and cans in with all that trash!
im going to have to set up my own personal recycle center just to shut up the voice in my head (at least ONE of the voices). Do they pay for glass and tin down there? I saw a few people picking up cans... maybe I can find a school to turn it over too.

Any ideas?

Kiss their Ass and you will go home faster. Be respectful, you just had a great time in Mexico. Don't spoil your great trip. Suck it up butter cup, you cannot fight the system, be smart. You can win!!

Not sure what you mean by "kiss their ass" hill boy. You missed the point. (Boy did you ever.) I am in the habit of recycling so it is no extra effort to keep a little waste out of land fill. And I was not asking nor needing any advice from you on how to 'interact' with the natives. I was just making a fun point that I will have bags of glass and tin every month that may be financially beneficial for someone or some organization in need. (Forgive me when I forget so many people have no sense of humor or just plane sense.) I have yet to see a school that could not use a few extra bucks a month. I have no desire to 'fight the system' but I also do not need to contribute negatively. If there is a place that people turn in cans and glass for money I would like to know, since people were picking them up on the side of the road, I asked if there is such a place there.

Does anyone actually have any REAL input to this question?

Landshark

Kiss their Ass and you will go home faster. Be respectful, you just had a great time in Mexico. Don't spoil your great trip. Suck it up butter cup, you cannot fight the system, be smart. You can win!!
Completely agree. I don't feel like I'm kissing their ass, just being respectful. They have a tough job & I appreciate their efforts.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
REAL input - yes, many of the locals recycle, but I personally don't know where they cash in the cans. Russ or another local may know where the the recycling centers are.

The issue with the bottles (Corona, Pacifico, etc.) is a bit different. When you buy a case of bottles at the beer distributor, you pay a deposit on them. Bring back the case of empties and you pay no deposit on the next case. I used to always have a case of empties in the back of my truck (in the old days). When Pacifico became available in cans, that's all I buy now. I hated dealing with glass bottles on the boat while fishing. Cans are so much easier and I give the empties to the guys at the marina to recycle.

Note that, not all bottles are deposit bottles. If you buy a 12 pack of Indio or Modelo at Bodega (WalMart), those are throwaways, not deposit bottles -- the beer distributor will not accept those. Mexico is quickly moving in the same direction as the US to becoming a throwaway society. I doubt the throwaway bottles are worth anything at the recycling center. Only the aluminum cans.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Completely agree. I don't feel like I'm kissing their ass, just being respectful. They have a tough job & I appreciate their efforts.
Agreed. It sucks standing out there for hours in the summer heat. No wonder they get so damned grumpy. Still, they are getting paid to do a job and there is no need to be a jerk about it. Us or them. 90% of my experiences with ICE or BP are positive. It's that 10% that are totally off-the-hook that make you go WTF?

REAL input - yes, many of the locals recycle, but I personally don't know where they cash in the cans. Russ or another local may know where the the recycling centers are.

The issue with the bottles (Corona, Pacifico, etc.) is a bit different. When you buy a case of bottles at the beer distributor, you pay a deposit on them. Bring back the case of empties and you pay no deposit on the next case. I used to always have a case of empties in the back of my truck (in the old days). When Pacifico became available in cans, that's all I buy now. I hated dealing with glass bottles on the boat while fishing. Cans are so much easier and I give the empties to the guys at the marina to recycle.

Note that, not all bottles are deposit bottles. If you buy a 12 pack of Indio or Modelo at Bodega (WalMart), those are throwaways, not deposit bottles -- the beer distributor will not accept those. Mexico is quickly moving in the same direction as the US to becoming a throwaway society. I doubt the throwaway bottles are worth anything at the recycling center. Only the aluminum cans.
Thank you Stuart! Thats exactly what I need to know. The person I saw picking up cans actually looked like he was homeless compared to the crews I saw so thats why the question popped up in my mind. I have a lot of respect for ANYONE who can work all day in the sun.

SORRY for hijacking this thread!! :-O

AZRob

Thank you Stuart! Thats exactly what I need to know. The person I saw picking up cans actually looked like he was homeless compared to the crews I saw so thats why the question popped up in my mind. I have a lot of respect for ANYONE who can work all day in the sun.

SORRY for hijacking this thread!! :-O

YOU Jacker!!!! HA HA HA

So, artisticdiva, there is a recycling center off of Josefa, although I don't know specifically what they do or do not take. Las Conchas has set up a "recycling center" just
before the entrance for cardboard, cans, batteries, plastics. They do not accept glass because they say there is no facility in town set up for glass at this time.

Roberto

Well there are places all over town that purchase recyclable stuff, copper, aluminum, steel. They accept beer cans, man hole covers, AC parts from vandalized homes, copper wired pulled out of homes, stuff like that. A guy came down the stret and stole all of the steel trash barrels a few years back. Funny thing was he had them in an open trailer and they were banging all over the place, huge racket.

Not sure what you mean by "kiss their ass" hill boy. You missed the point. (Boy did you ever.) I am in the habit of recycling so it is no extra effort to keep a little waste out of land fill. And I was not asking nor needing any advice from you on how to 'interact' with the natives. I was just making a fun point that I will have bags of glass and tin every month that may be financially beneficial for someone or some organization in need. (Forgive me when I forget so many people have no sense of humor or just plane sense.) I have yet to see a school that could not use a few extra bucks a month. I have no desire to 'fight the system' but I also do not need to contribute negatively. If there is a place that people turn in cans and glass for money I would like to know, since people were picking them up on the side of the road, I asked if there is such a place there.

Does anyone actually have any REAL input to this question?
OK, so, it started with cans and bottles in the back of the truck at the border. I did not mean kiss their butt literatly. What I meant was, I will do what I need to do to avoid a hassle going home. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, end of story. We always save our cans to give to the locals to recycle.