Homeport: All Ideas Welcome, What will work. good bad ugly bring it on!!!

jerry

Ben, dont worry about dry heave I mean heat. He doesn't mean harm but he's a booster so he can't help himself. Notice how Russ liked his comment... Heat/Black 2016 "Make the Forum Great Again"

In all seriousness, this is post of the year.

Yes, we can call it a failure. Then again, I guess if you're a booster you could call the airport a success but it doesn't get used and I'm sure the project was sold under the guise bs trickle down economics of how the poor people of Penasco were going to benefit from it... Whatever happened to the airport? Dont really hear much about that successful economic project bringing in all that cash to the city...
How is that wind farm going....supposed to be 5 by how/The one true great idea "La Costera" the coastal highway a Harley riders and outdoorsman's dream come half true is still stopped...Padres took the money and the Feds just gave up....love that road...a truck blew up on it May 16 near Desemboque...awesome fire...

jerry

Noticed how I "liked" your post? I am an equal opportunity post liker.

It will either get built or it won't. Unless you live here fulltime or have a vested interest in the community it really shouldn't matter to you.

The coastal highway took way longer to build than was anticipated and projected, but here it is up and running and is the preferred path from Southern California to Peñasco.

Patience is a virtue.
it is finished when it reaches the Sinaloa border....stuck at Libertad for 4 years now.... on the Homeport a person thinking of retiring on Sandy Beach would be smart not to buy now...wait and see how it effects the town....plus TRUMP!!!!!

ben21

Noticed how I "liked" your post? I am an equal opportunity post liker.

It will either get built or it won't. Unless you live here fulltime or have a vested interest in the community it really shouldn't matter to you.

The coastal highway took way longer to build than was anticipated and projected, but here it is up and running and is the preferred path from Southern California to Peñasco.

Patience is a virtue.
I don't think the coastal highway can be compared to the home port though. Many of us have been saying that the coastal highway is the exact type of infrastructure that RP needs in order to one day support something like a home port. I just think that they're trying to hit home runs without learning how to get a base hit first. Spending money on creating a Sonoyta bypass and getting the streets in RP cleaned up and smoothed out would help bring even more people down that could eventually lead to something like a functional home port and airport.

Encanto

Ben, dont worry about dry heave I mean heat. He doesn't mean harm but he's a booster so he can't help himself. Notice how Russ liked his comment... Heat/Black 2016 "Make the Forum Great Again"

In all seriousness, this is post of the year.

Yes, we can call it a failure. Then again, I guess if you're a booster you could call the airport a success but it doesn't get used and I'm sure the project was sold under the guise bs trickle down economics of how the poor people of Penasco were going to benefit from it... Whatever happened to the airport? Dont really hear much about that successful economic project bringing in all that cash to the city...
I liked Dry Heat's post because it made me laugh !

This forum is gold; I enjoy 90% of the posts on here, including posts from Jerry, Russ etc. !

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I don't think the coastal highway can be compared to the home port though. Many of us have been saying that the coastal highway is the exact type of infrastructure that RP needs in order to one day support something like a home port. I just think that they're trying to hit home runs without learning how to get a base hit first. Spending money on creating a Sonoyta bypass and getting the streets in RP cleaned up and smoothed out would help bring even more people down that could eventually lead to something like a functional home port and airport.
Have you seen the streets in Peñasco? One by one they are being rebuilt and resurfaced and the new blvd coming into town is awesome. Even the Blvd that comes by my house on Samuel Ocaña is beautifully constructed. 40 years of neglect, 8 years of horrible economic conditions cannot be corrected in one administration but man oh man stuff is being done and it is a welcome sight.

jerry

Have you seen the streets in Peñasco? One by one they are being rebuilt and resurfaced and the new blvd coming into town is awesome. Even the Blvd that comes by my house on Samuel Ocaña is beautifully constructed. 40 years of neglect, 8 years of horrible economic conditions cannot be corrected in one administration but man oh man stuff is being done and it is a welcome sight.

jerry

True...the new mayor and the new govenor are huge upgrades....Sonoyta on the other hand is a snake pit

Landshark

The home port as they are selling it will never be so might as well open it up for smaller sport craft/fishing boats or some kind of pier for fishing/ small shops or something other than an eye sore.
Maybe this idea has been part of the plan all along. Add yachts to the list which would reasonable and you have the marina that Vicente Fox dreamed of in his Nautical Ladder proposal. If the Homeport doesn't work out it could very easily become another rung in the ladder. They say the project was cancelled but this all sounds very familiar...

"The Escelera Nautica ('Nautical Ladder') project is a massive construction and upgrade package, involving full-service marinas, many of which will be constructed from scratch. The majority of the focus is on nautical and maritime improvements with the hopes that the resulting boost in tourist-related dollars will trickle down to the other industries and communities. Hotels, golf courses, restaurants, and other tourist-related infrastructure also play a key part in the project, as the nautical tourism will also draw traditional tourism over time. The project also involves road construction and upgrades to allow for easier boat towing. There is also some airport construction and upkeep factored into the project. Apparently if you're the kind of person who has your own yacht, you are the kind of person who would like to fly into Mexico to pick it up."

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Ben is stepping into MVP (Most Valuable Poster) territory... The coastal highway can't be compared to the home port but as others have said it has been a GREAT addition. It's the reason I've been to Santo Tomas and Lobos twice. I've driven nearly the entire coastal highway from San Luis RC to Puerto Lobos... One day I hope to see Kino and San Carlos utilizing LA COSTERA

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

I agree that the streets are starting to get better and cleaner however, what is up with the spike in Graffiti?! It's fricken everywhere... nothing degrades property value and cleanliness like Graffiti.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
With zero lending options in Penasco (other than owner carry), the re-sales of homes and condo's have improved. The downturn of the worldwide economy from 2006-2008 set resort areas like penasco back 10 years (it may take 10 more years for us to see the rebuilding or replacement of unfinished property). We are now seeing improvement in the community (investors, second homes, residents, infrastructure, donations, more non profits getting involved with the community, etc). Yes, its slow. Yes, I understand that some on here will be long gone in 10 years. Just look down from heaven or hell or if you come back as a mosquito to see it finally completed.

Do I think the homeport will be completed... yes. why... those playing with house money (federal) will make sure it gets done (even if those in your house keep taking from the cookie jar).
Will the unfinished condo's be completed... maybe in 5-10 years
Will lending return? maybe in 5-10 years
Will additional lanes be added from Lukeville to Penasco... maybe in 10-20 years
Will a bypass road be constructed from the border to airport area... maybe in 25-50 years
Will competition hill have a golf course... maybe in 50 years

jerry

With zero lending options in Penasco (other than owner carry), the re-sales of homes and condo's have improved. The downturn of the worldwide economy from 2006-2008 set resort areas like penasco back 10 years (it may take 10 more years for us to see the rebuilding or replacement of unfinished property). We are now seeing improvement in the community (investors, second homes, residents, infrastructure, donations, more non profits getting involved with the community, etc). Yes, its slow. Yes, I understand that some on here will be long gone in 10 years. Just look down from heaven or hell or if you come back as a mosquito to see it finally completed.

Do I think the homeport will be completed... yes. why... those playing with house money (federal) will make sure it gets done (even if those in your house keep taking from the cookie jar).
Will the unfinished condo's be completed... maybe in 5-10 years
Will lending return? maybe in 5-10 years
Will additional lanes be added from Lukeville to Penasco... maybe in 10-20 years
Will a bypass road be constructed from the border to airport area... maybe in 25-50 years
Will competition hill have a golf course... maybe in 50 years
Obama did save us.....but the lack of water spells a slow decline in this über desert...

Landshark

Obama did save us.....but the lack of water spells a slow decline in this über desert...
Water will be an issue in time. Without a renewable water source the dreams of progress are nothing but pipedreams. Let's add a desalination plant to the list, maybe in 5 years. Then we better protect our number one asset and calling card, our beloved Sea of Cortez. It won't be very appealing if in the near future it becomes known as the Dead Sea of Cortez. Better add some serious fishing regulations to the list, maybe like right now.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Water will be an issue in time. Without a renewable water source the dreams of progress are nothing but pipedreams. Let's add a desalination plant to the list, maybe in 5 years. Then we better protect our number one asset and calling card, our beloved Sea of Cortez. It won't be very appealing if in the near future it becomes known as the Dead Sea of Cortez. Better add some serious fishing regulations to the list, maybe like right now.

x2

Landshark

This water shortage stuff's for real...
Lake Mead’s surface Wednesday evening hit its lowest level since the man-made reservoir was created by the building of the Hoover Dam in 1935.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/may/19/early-warning-signal-lake-mead-hits-historic-low/

MIRAMAR

I just got back from a trip up north and the mountains are covered with snow about half way down. Hopefully the melt will partial replenish some of this,but we're getting our rain buckets ready.

Landshark

I just got back from a trip up north and the mountains are covered with snow about half way down. Hopefully the melt will partial replenish some of this,but we're getting our rain buckets ready.
Hope you're right. We all take water for granted and I am as guilty as anyone about overuse. We live on a flood irrigated property and now it just seems wrong. If the drought doesn't end soon things will have to change and flood irrigation will be one of the first affected. Anybody know about rain dances...