How do we get strong Internet in Rocky Point?

EarlM

We live here full time and also needed good (usable) internet. We started with Telmex terribly slow DSL that provided 3Mbps download 500Kbps upload, too slow and occasional day-long outages. Telmex DSL was around $15/month. We then got Megacable internet that gave us around 10Mbps down, 2Mbps up when it worked. It was down at least once a week and was advertised as 20Mbps speed. Megacable internet was around $25/month.

I had been on the Starlink sattelite internet wait list for six months and we finally got the service around 5 months ago when they added northern Mexico to their coverage. It is AWESOME! We get anywhere from 75 to 150Mbps download and 10 to 12Mbps upload with 35-60ms latency typically. Facetime/Zoom calls work just fine as do video streaming services, however yoyu do have a Mexican IP address, so Nteflix etc. see you as outside of the US. The costs are more than the others, around $550 for the equipment (one time) and then $110/month. We have had a couple outages, but most have cleared up in a few minutes, the longest outage was a couple hours.

Hope that helps.
-Earl

richwi

Well Known Member
We have microwave internet. I just ran an Okla speed test and got 39 megs download and 17 megs upload. We live out in Playa Encanto and I am not sure where else it is available. It has never gone down except once in a power outage when all of Penasco lost internet.

Kea

Well Known Member
Can you use StarLink RV in Mexico & US with one subscription? Or, do you have to have one subscription in the US and a separate one for Mexico?
Thanks