How does everyone TRULY feel about traveling to PP?

Good morning everyone!! We came down yesterday, got here just after 4:00 p.m. Totally uneventful ride down.................one little checkpoint just as you leave Sonoyta. It was local police, not military, and there were five of them. One said "hola, hi" and I said "hola" and flashed him a wide smile. He bent over a little, looked inside the car and waved us right on through. I looked at my husband and said "I'm glad they're here" and I meant it. There were no more checkpoints after that. Got here and, of course, just felt right at home!!!!!! We slept like babies last night and the fish are jumping like crazy on the nice smooth water this morning (I can watch them from my kitchen window, beach front:woo:) and this is something you don't see very often.................there is a large group of local people with trash bags out cleaning the beach!!!!!!! (It really is a shame that people don't clean up after themselves). The park is very quiet, hopefully it will fill up by the weekend............all in all, life is pretty friggin' good right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Windows open last night, nice breeze and cool air I love it. In for great weather today in our little town by the edge of the sea of Cortes' Come on down.

Well I am NOW convinced! I just read the press release and feel EVEN better! Looks like we are coming July 18-24! Sonoran Sun here we come! It's been TOO long! My husband will soon be doing the happy, tequila dance!

mis2810

Well I am NOW convinced! I just read the press release and feel EVEN better! Looks like we are coming July 18-24! Sonoran Sun here we come! It's been TOO long! My husband will soon be doing the happy, tequila dance!
Yay! Good for you! I'm glad you decided to go! Enjoy!

mis2810

I don't remember exactly where, but the story the other day was that a body was found off the highway to PP from Sonoyta. Some Telmex employees found it. The article says he was identified by his wife - he was a cop in Sonoyta. I just skimmed through the article but I think it said he had gone down to a club called Blue Cebra in the Mirador to have some drinks and he never came home.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

I know where it's at....just across the street from Pink Cadillac and Sand Bar....and if he drove 60 miles to go there, it wasn't for a "drink"!!!:stir:

Last edited:
how sad........."can't we (they) just all get along"?
I was talking with a co-worker about all this. She was telling me about Colombia (her husband is from there) and how they went through a similar problem until the people there revolted. Many many deaths later, no more drugs and no more voilence.....at least not to the level it was. She thinks that Mexico is going through this same thing and someday, it will return to normal.......what ever that is.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I read the article. He was a Penasco policeman who lived in Penasco as far as I can tell. His wife lives in Sonoyta. He had lived in Sonoyta and was a policeman there up until a year ago. If Rosie or Playa want to correct me, that's fine. It took this burra (me) several years to learn passable Spanish and I still have some trouble with it. :confused::duh::-?:aagh:

mis2810

I read the article. He was a Penasco policeman who lived in Penasco as far as I can tell. His wife lives in Sonoyta. He had lived in Sonoyta and was a policeman there up until a year ago. If Rosie or Playa want to correct me, that's fine. It took this burra (me) several years to learn passable Spanish and I still have some trouble with it. :confused::duh::-?:aagh:
LJ - I'm sure you're right, I just skimmed the article.

You're absolutely right, Chari. The officer was part of the Puerto Penasco police force. Prior to coming here a year ago, he had worked as a Sonoyta policeman. I have interviewed several people who were in the Blue Zebra that night and saw him. First of all, he was beyond falling down drunk. Reports are that he was passed-out-in-the-chair drunk. He had gone there with a fellow officer who is still with the department.

His companions tried to get him to leave but he wouldn't. Employees walked him outside to get some air. A while later he went back into the bar, asked for a cigarette, and went back outside. He was seen outside, sitting on the curb across the street from the bar and then jumped into a cab telling the driver that he was going to go drink with some people who owe him money. The cab driver was able to tell authorities where he left the guy, but he didn't see where he went after exiting the cab.

In the almost 2 months since his disappearance, there have been several organized searches in hopes of finding him. During one such search, a local policeman accidently hit reverse on his quad and wound up falling into a 30 meter well, seriously injuring himself and resulting in a big rescue effort to haul the officer and his ATV out of the well.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Last Tuesday took my vehicle to Baja 1000 and left for a 2 mile walk, hit various business, licuados "Paty" for my morning energy juice, then to the bakery next to Ferreteria Penasco, were I had a chocolate cake, it was OK, "El Cubanito" bakery has better chocolate cup cakes, YUMMY!! I mean really good if you like chocolate!!
End up buying the newspaper and sat at camaronero park where I was glad to see a few moms with their kids and lots of other people enjoying such a beautiful morning, so it seems that people in the north side of the border are more fearfull of their lifes than those living in Rocky Point.
OH and the beach was excellent, the temp perfect and the water refreshing, I do not live in Penasco full time but love the town enough that eventually I will end up here by the beach!! does that makes me a cheerleader!! :eek3:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Cuerno de Chivo "Goat's Horn" - Mexican slang for an AK-47 because of the shape of the weapon when equipped with a full, curved cartridge.

No legitimate job in Mexico or the US requires you to carry an AK-47, period. You're either a sicario, narco, or gang-banger. Just that simple.