How to deter RV breakins.....

Someone asked me for suggestions on deterring (or preventing) breakins to RV's that are kept in Penasco...those set up in the parks.

I've seen some with bars welded up and bolted on covering windows and any window type airconditioners. I've also seen padlocks added to the doors. I would expect that having the rv in a visible, well traveled, area of the park would also help.

Any other suggestions???

T

Tomcat

Good subject thanks for posting it Joe. I hope it generates some good ideas on RV security. Some pictures of window bars install would be nice to see too. I can see the window on most RV's right next to the door is a invite to break the window and reach inside and unlock the door. I wonder if they make a dead bolt that's key locked inside and out for RV doors ?

Roberto

Someone asked me for suggestions on deterring (or preventing) breakins to RV's that are kept in Penasco...those set up in the parks.

I've seen some with bars welded up and bolted on covering windows and any window type airconditioners. I've also seen padlocks added to the doors. I would expect that having the rv in a visible, well traveled, area of the park would also help.

Any other suggestions???
Don't forget the roof, skylights, ducts and the underside. The side access doors into storage, etc. are easy to pry off. Some ladrones are using very small people or children to go into small openings. We had someone enter a 10x10 on the wall at roof level and exit that way too.

T

Tomcat

!0x10 wow that's a very small hole to enter/exit through. Thanks for the info !!!!
Don't forget the roof, skylights, ducts and the underside. The side access doors into storage, etc. are easy to pry off. Some ladrones are using very small people or children to go into small openings. We had someone enter a 10x10 on the wall at roof level and exit that way too.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Tom,
You remember that I put little steel bars into the tracks of my sliding windows. Cutting those things with a hacksaw to fit sure was a pain....... And I forgot my vents and the only time I was broken into, they went in thru the bedroom roof vent.......

T

Tomcat

Refresh my old worn out memory Chari. You put bars in the window tracks ? Would it still be possible to break the window and reach in and unlock your dead bolt on your door?

Just got back from ace hardware and found a double key deadbolt made for mobile home doors that will work in my thin RV door. $17 :cluck: Roof vents ? I am going to have to think some on how to make those secure ?

?
Tom,
You remember that I put little steel bars into the tracks of my sliding windows. Cutting those things with a hacksaw to fit sure was a pain....... And I forgot my vents and the only time I was broken into, they went in thru the bedroom roof vent.......

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well, yeah, someone could break the window and climb in.....In my trailer, you can't reach the door from the window...

Tom...I've got those roof vent covers on mine.....they let you keep them open to get air in even if it's raining.....just plastic...but an additional thing to mess with for a thief...

Roberto

Tom...I've got those roof vent covers on mine.....they let you keep them open to get air in even if it's raining.....just plastic...but an additional thing to mess with for a thief...
You have to attache bars inside the trailer for those vents so they still open.

How about some motion detectors for inside the trailer that set off the loudest damn siren you can find???? (Better have a timer to turn it off!!!) I'm not much of a fan of car alarms....most people ignore them now...but in a RV park....it sould surely get some attention (and some pissed off neighbors)....

Roberto

I was not going to post this, but....The big problem with the RV's is that you can open them up like a can. Cutting through the skin is easy and working the right tool , similar to an old fashioned lever action can opener, it's easy to peel back the skin and make a large hole. Not much to stop someone from there, you can punch right through the rest with your fist. No noise doing all that either. Dont know what you could do to prevent that, maybe a pit bull !

Kenny

This thread is about the campground thats at the racetrack in Knoxville Iowa, and some people stay there for the racing season. The big events like the Knoxville National bring in a lot of RV's for a week or more at a time, and for the last few years the break in rate has sky rocketed. Sound familiar? http://www.hoseheadforums.com/forum.cfm?ThreadID=56071

Last edited:

Bendog

I bring my rottweiler with me in the RV every time I travel... haven't had a single break in and most people have stayed out of my campsite entirely even when just walking through...

T

Tomcat

How about this wildlife camera ? The draw back would be were to mount it ?http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Truth-Cam-35-Camera/dp/B003PVGA1O/ref=pd_rhf_p_img_2
How about some motion detectors for inside the trailer that set off the loudest damn siren you can find???? (Better have a timer to turn it off!!!) I'm not much of a fan of car alarms....most people ignore them now...but in a RV park....it sould surely get some attention (and some pissed off neighbors)....

If it isn't bolted down and they want it, it's gone. I once had someone break out my bathroom window 12"x14" (house in Cholla) to get in. I don't keep anything of real value in my house.
Anything worth stealing is real heavy and can be replaced. I haven't been broke into for 10 years (knock on wood, the last time the Police in Cholla caught them as they were passing by. got it all back,
At the jail in Penasco both suspects looked really worked over by the police),
That is why I keep extra insurance on my ATV's and JetSkis. I had to file a claim once 15 years ago and Portugal Insurance was very fair about the claim.
I know it is a real inconvience and violation of our stuff, but it happens here in the USA as well.

T

Tomcat

Your so correct... We are not talking about security in Penasco only. The world has change so much that the threat of your place being robbed is just a reality in USA as well as Mexico or any other country. I lived in the Philippines off and on for several years and its the same there. Bolt it down, lock it up or it will grow legs and be gone. This is just a good place to post and share ideas on better preventive measures. I think anything or any place can be robbed but if you make it harder to steal then the next guys RV then its about all a person can do. Like the old story of two guys out hiking and one guys says nice shoes and the other guy says yes there for bears. The first guy says you can't out run a bear LOL And the second guys says I don't have to out run a bear. I just need to out run you !!!! :rofl:
If it isn't bolted down and they want it, it's gone. I once had someone break out my bathroom window 12"x14" (house in Cholla) to get in. I don't keep anything of real value in my house.
Anything worth stealing is real heavy and can be replaced. I haven't been broke into for 10 years (knock on wood, the last time the Police in Cholla caught them as they were passing by. got it all back,
At the jail in Penasco both suspects looked really worked over by the police),
That is why I keep extra insurance on my ATV's and JetSkis. I had to file a claim once 15 years ago and Portugal Insurance was very fair about the claim.
I know it is a real inconvience and violation of our stuff, but it happens here in the USA as well.

Last edited by a moderator: