How to recognize a stroke

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I think this is valuable information for anybody!! please pass it around :p

B lood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the Tongue

I will continue to forward this every time it comes around!

STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S. T. R.

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food.. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Jane went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening

Jane's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital -
(at 6:00 pm Jane passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Jane would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke... totally . He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.

T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)

(i.e. It is sunny out today.)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other , that is also an indication of a stroke.

Inka,

We just had this experience three weeks ago tonight.

My husband woke up, didn’t feel “just” right. He walked into the living room. Again, he thought something was wrong.
He realized his lip was drooping a little bit and his left arm was numb.
He woke me up and said: “Cathy, call 911, I am having a stroke”!
Fire department was here in less than 3 minutes.”
The paramedics did every step above.

Within 2 or 3 minutes his lip and speech had returned to normal

As I kept talking to him, again the lip started to slightly sag and his
speech began to slur. Again he reverted back to normal.
Twice in about 5 minutes.

In less than 30 minutes he was at the hospital and totally back to normal.

At the hospital he was given every conceivable test they had to try and find out what caused it. No answers. His was given and MRA, one test I had never heard of but it goes deeper into the brain to try and locate any aneurysms.
It was negative.

They described the stroke as a “TIA mini-stroke.

Needless to say, I am a little uneasy with our 3 week trip to RP.

The doctors said to go and enjoy your vacation!

Our brother had a massive stroke in 2002 just two months after our mom passed away. He is now paralized on the left side and has short term memory loss...but he still has his great sense of humor!...He's a really good guy!

Roberto

No a medical doctor, but I have read that if you take an aspirin shortly after a stroke that it can reduce or eliminate the symptoms.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Our brother had a massive stroke in 2002 just two months after our mom passed away. He is now paralized on the left side and has short term memory loss...but he still has his great sense of humor!...He's a really good guy!
He is alive today because of La Pequena Hermana. She was with him when it happened, and knew the symptoms from years of caring for our Mom. She got him to the hospital, and then took care of him - rehab, therapy, etc. for the next year and 1/2. It pays to have the knowledge before the event happens. Just ask our brother!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I am not 100 % sure but I think I heard that taking one aspirin a day will help with reducing the risk of a stroke, which kinda goes with what Roberto is saying, anybody heard about taking an aspirin a day?
I mean the reality of thing is that we are not getting any younger although our brain might think we are still in our mid 20's :eek3:

Last edited:
I am not 100 % sure but I think I heard that taking one aspirin a day will help with reducing the risk of a stroke, which kinda goes with what Roberto is saying, anybody heard about taking an aspirin a day?
I mean the reality of thing is that we are not getting any younger although our brain might think we are still in our mid 20's :eek3:
I've been doing the aspirin thing for over 20 years... they say 85 mil. is the dose to take but I do a regular 99 cent store aspirin... along with plenty of exersize

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Thanks Mark, I guess I will start, however I like my tecate once in a while and my corralejo every trip to PP and it seems it will be every weekend now!!! :eek3:
Did anybody see channel 4 new at 4 oclock? RockyPoinyRides.com was mention and calls started to pour in!!! :eek3:

Thanks Mark, I guess I will start, however I like my tecate once in a while and my corralejo every trip to PP and it seems it will be every weekend now!!! :eek3:
Did anybody see channel 4 new at 4 oclock? RockyPoinyRides.com was mention and calls started to pour in!!! :eek3:
Cool Beans Ink...

keep in mind if you're taking aspirin on a daily basis you will have a tendency to bleed a bit easier as it is a blood thinner...

Baby asprin (81mg) is best, however, it's good for hearts and some other blockages, but with a hemorragic stroke (in the brain) you need to watch for all the other signs. Asprin thins the blood and if you have a clot somewhere,it may make it move faster.

Heart attacks are different too...Steve's first one was classic chest pain and pain down the arm (triple bypass). His second one(20 yrs. later),however, was indigestion(stent placed). (I wish they had spell check on here!)

InkaRoads

cronopiador
If you have not printed this then read it again, it could save your life or someone elses one of this days!