Hurricane a comin .

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Geez, Terry! That's looks like a coffin that washed out of somewhere!!! Oh my...

Roberto

Well Known Member
Watch the weather. If your friends are really determined to reach Mayan Palace, you might inquire about turning off Highway 8 roughly 40 kilometers past Sonoyta. My map shows this road going past the Sierra Pinta mine and leading right to the Mayan Palace. It completely avoids the flood area. But since I've never taken this road myself, I advise getting confirmation from someone who knows for sure that this road does what my map says it does. And someone would need to tell you where to turn off of Highway 8. It looks to be about 40 kilometers past Sonoyta.
The "Road' is at best a Jeep trail and not to be tried solo. That's Gillespies old road he built to get to the mine and his hacienda on the Estro La Pinta, Read about it in Gilliespies Gold, the book.

I have not been there for a few years. The military closed off the road to the mine. Told me they had a shooting range across the road !! I passed a 4WD club of about 10 vehicles coming out about 10 years ago. I was at the mine when they came through looking all battered with a determined look on their faces!!

I'd love to try again. Who wants to go ?? Need 4WD.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Here's what I was talking about. Head out of Sonoyta like you normally do and take the road that leads past Villegran. But only after someone who knows this road confirms that it goes thru as shown and is in decent shape.
View attachment 16485
Hey great Map. Where did you get it?? Not real accurate but I LOVE maps. But as posted, it's not really a road.

audsley

Well Known Member
Roberto, it's a Mexican map with no date of publication but obviously before 2010 as it doesn't show the highway going all the way to Libertad. I'd like to have an updated version.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Roberto, it's a Mexican map with no date of publication but obviously before 2010 as it doesn't show the highway going all the way to Libertad. I'd like to have an updated version.
I have, somewhere in the computer files, a government produced map that states it show ALL the roads in Sonora. I'll try to find it again. Wish there were Geodetic Survey like maps available. I have them of every scale of the Gila in New Mexico !