i got my passport card!!!

J

Jamie75

It arrived today...it's very cool! It says to keep out of extreme heat, I got a good laugh after reading that. Can't wait to try it out!

Kenny

That's great news Jamie and how long did it take?

Hey Cactus, we don't have crows up here in Prescott, just Ravens, but they'll do. :chef:

Kenny

J

Jamie75

I applied for my passort the second week of June, and got my passport a couple weeks later..the card didn't come til today so..7 weeks, give or take.

Jeff

Jamie--

We are taking a cruise in december and was wondering if we should just splurge and get our regular passports. I have heard that if you only have a passport card and need to be airlifted off the ship or out of mexico, the card could pose some serious issues....Anyone? :?:

J

Jamie75

Good point...I really never thought of that. I would vote for getting both....it's a little more money, but you are covered. :sunny:

Jeff said:
Jamie--

We are taking a cruise in december and was wondering if we should just splurge and get our regular passports. I have heard that if you only have a passport card and need to be airlifted off the ship or out of mexico, the card could pose some serious issues....Anyone? :?:
There was just an article in the local papers that indicated that the travel agencies booking cruises, and even the cruise lines, were recommending it for just that reason.

B

BeachMom

Jeff,

When we took our cruise, Carnival strongly suggested passports for all of us vs. the card. Hope that helps.

C

cactusamigo

The cruise lines security is air tight. It puts our border immigration system to shame. You can't get off or on a cruise ship at any port of call without a cruise line issued photo ID. When returning from a cruise, having to go through Immigration is absurd.

After a long wait, Passport Cards are starting to be issued. When applying or using one, keep in mind their intended purpose, and their limitations and restrictions. They are not intended to replace a U.S. Passport, and cannot be used where a U.S. Passport is required. They do not comply with any international treaty, and they do not provide the protection guaranteed to a U.S. citizen who holds a U.S. Passport during international travel.

F

FIESTAFROG

why the heck would you want a card? Why not just get a passport? Why get a lessor ID?

C

cactusamigo

Fiestafrog - I share the same position, which got Stuart very angry with me some time back. A very poor decision on the part of our government, in my opinion. Creates another costly bureaucracy to support an unnecessary document. Something else that can be lost, stolen, forged. Adding to the ID confusion, and another compromise to our security. Border agents would prefer to have one document requirement- U.S. Passport. Another diversion of resources from the job that should take first priority - ROUND UP AND DEPORT ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS, AND PROSECUTE THOSE WHO EMPLOY THEM! Dry up the jobs and the illegal immigration problem will come down to a manageable level.

A

azbeachboy

Maybe cactus can help with my new roof? Maybe pick some cotton? We have a huge shortage of labor. I know most Americans don't want to do that kind of work...

rikyt

Cactus,
If you dislike the Mexican people so much, why do you visit the country and participate on a web site about Mexico? Do you need a life?

C

cactusamigo

rikyt - I dislike illegal aliens, no matter what country they come from. All U.S. citizens should respect and support the laws of their country. Our agents lose their lives enforcing these laws to keep us a sovereign nation. In order to maintain our culture, immigration MUST be controlled. That is the purpose of immigration laws. If you really have compassion for the Mexican or other foreignors, you should insist on the enforcement of the federal laws against employers who lure and pay slave labor wages to illegal aliens. It is not fair to tolerate the presence of illegal aliens in our country while others have to wait in line to immigrate legally. You cannot regard equally those who respect our laws and immigrate legally with those who have contempt for our laws and sneak into our country illegally.

J

Jamie75

cactusamigo said:
Fiestafrog - I share the same position, which got Stuart very angry with me some time back. A very poor decision on the part of our government, in my opinion. Creates another costly bureaucracy to support an unnecessary document. Something else that can be lost, stolen, forged. Adding to the ID confusion, and another compromise to our security. Border agents would prefer to have one document requirement- U.S. Passport. Another diversion of resources from the job that should take first priority - ROUND UP AND DEPORT ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS, AND PROSECUTE THOSE WHO EMPLOY THEM! Dry up the jobs and the illegal immigration problem will come down to a manageable level.
OK..here is why I chose to get the card ALONG with my passport. I have never, in my 33 years, traveled to another country besides Mexico, and only driving, so it works wonderfully to me. I like the idea that I can keep it in my wallet and that I don't have to carry the bulky passport. There is also no chance of me forgetting to get it out of my safe before leaving out of town. AS for them being forged, I would love to see someone try. This thing is quite amazing and honestly seems more secure than my passport. In fact, I think states should use this technology for their drivers licenses. If this confuses the Border Agents, than we have a bigger problem on our hands here guys...it's got the same chip it in as the passport so all they have to do is look at the little picture, confirm it's me then scan it. Same process.
Sheriff Joe..I mean Cactus..take a chill pill on the immigration! :lol: We are all entitled to our opinions and don't want you YELLING at us about yours! ;)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Jamie75 said:
I like the idea that I can keep it in my wallet and that I don't have to carry the bulky passport. There is also no chance of me forgetting to get it out of my safe before leaving out of town.
Indeed. Same reason I plan on getting one in ADDITION to my passport. A passport is simply NOT convenient to take to the beach or out fishing. Something that fits in my wallet and is always with me is a much better choice. For some reason, Cactus doesn't get that, never has. The world is not "one size fits all."