I hate to see this as a top story in Phoenix. Anyone know where this happened?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Mormon grandmothers are the new Al Capones of drug smuggling. Don't kid yourselves!!!

(yes, I'm absolutely joking.) :puff:

Estella

I posted the link to the story when was only reported by channel 5 two days ago in another thread. I went trough the same military inspection station that is north of Hermosillo many times. It is permanent structure that looks like you are crossing the border. I recorded it with my camera, the private cars get to see the solder in the boot who asks you "que se dedica, de donde viene, a donde va" look right in the eye of the soldier and respond quickly and you will get a wave trough. The buses and big commercial trucks get full inspection. The bus is stopped and all luggage is inspected. At the time I witnessed this and said, Mexican government always use CUBA as the worst example but I don't see much difference in liberty of travel.

Pinky

The real story that everyone seems to ignore is that this woman was sitting on a large amount of dope, was arrested and used the "it's not mine defense". She was subsequently cleared of the charges in about a week and freed from jail. Let's see that happen anywhere in the U.S. where a typical "it's not mine" defense would cost the person (or the taxpayers) several hundred thousand dollars and few years of their time. I fully believe her side of the story, but let's face the reality that this would never have happened this way in the United States where she would still be rotting away in jail awaiting trial.

Rhino

The real story that everyone seems to ignore is that this woman was sitting on a large amount of dope, was arrested and used the "it's not mine defense". She was subsequently cleared of the charges in about a week and freed from jail. Let's see that happen anywhere in the U.S. where a typical "it's not mine" defense would cost the person (or the taxpayers) several hundred thousand dollars and few years of their time. I fully believe her side of the story, but let's face the reality that this would never have happened this way in the United States where she would still be rotting away in jail awaiting trial.
I could not agree more with this analysis of the situation and what the result might have been given similar circumstances in the States. Now for the very sensitive comment which I will preface by saying I believe she was innocent of the charges (the part about the overt bribe request, I'm not so sure about) but if you view her videos, I could see the Mexican or American cops for that matter, wondering if she might be under-the-influence at the time; her rolling eyes, unstable head position and "strange" speech patterns. I'm sure those are just epidemic of her, but I'm just saying. In the States, at a DUI check-point or any other traffic stop, my guess is that the cops might take a more in-depth look based on their immediate assessment.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
the positive spin is it turned out to be free advertisement for the mormon faith. I could not believe how much the word mormon was thrown out from the mormon faith kept me going to I found a mormon bible in jail to my mormon senators helped me get out to well known mormon arizona media help spread the word (including some well known mormon anchors). they do go to bat for each other. hope that a non mormon would receive the same attention from their Arizona representatives and/or media.

playaperro

El Pirata
the positive spin is it turned out to be free advertisement for the mormon faith. I could not believe how much the word mormon was thrown out from the mormon faith kept me going to I found a mormon bible in jail to my mormon senators helped me get out to well known mormon arizona media help spread the word (including some well known mormon anchors). they do go to bat for each other. hope that a non mormon would receive the same attention from their Arizona representatives and/or media.
True, you must hang out with Reyel on Sundays!

playaperro

El Pirata
I could not agree more with this analysis of the situation and what the result might have been given similar circumstances in the States. Now for the very sensitive comment which I will preface by saying I believe she was innocent of the charges (the part about the overt bribe request, I'm not so sure about) but if you view her videos, I could see the Mexican or American cops for that matter, wondering if she might be under-the-influence at the time; her rolling eyes, unstable head position and "strange" speech patterns. I'm sure those are just epidemic of her, but I'm just saying. In the States, at a DUI check-point or any other traffic stop, my guess is that the cops might take a more in-depth look based on their immediate assessment.
Was the pot taped to the bottom of the seat?

It’s unfortunate and unnecessary. Either the contraband was planted & an innocent American was locked up (shame on Mexico), or the woman was actually carrying the contraband and she was released without proving her guilt (shame on Mexico).

As someone who visits Rocky Point 6 to 7 times a year, this story resonates with me for some reason. First I am insulted why her faith came into play to portray her innocence (as if Mormons never commit crimes or should not be treated in the same way, come on!)

But the underlying issue is that if the Mormon card wasn't played & pressure wasn't applied in the media, this woman would still be rotting away in some God forsaken cell in Mexico. After looking at the facts of this story, it seems like it was a set-up for profit by the officers and an innocent woman got thrown in jail. As an American, this gives me pause and confirms how people can just disappear for being in the wrong place at the wrong time south of the border.

Anger should be directed at whomever threw this woman in jail because it’s going to make everyone think twice before visiting Mexico - Not only for safety, but to support a corrupt system that let something like this happen. The stupidity of locking her up for a week, letting the PR machine churn and then releasing her in the middle of the night does not reflect well at all.

It's really a shame as confidence & tourism was picking up for places like Rocky Point - this just kicked it back into the Stone Age.