I hate to see this as a top story in Phoenix. Anyone know where this happened?

jerry

It’s unfortunate and unnecessary. Either the contraband was planted & an innocent American was locked up (shame on Mexico), or the woman was actually carrying the contraband and she was released without proving her guilt (shame on Mexico).

As someone who visits Rocky Point 6 to 7 times a year, this story resonates with me for some reason. First I am insulted why her faith came into play to portray her innocence (as if Mormons never commit crimes or should not be treated in the same way, come on!)

But the underlying issue is that if the Mormon card wasn't played & pressure wasn't applied in the media, this woman would still be rotting away in some God forsaken cell in Mexico. After looking at the facts of this story, it seems like it was a set-up for profit by the officers and an innocent woman got thrown in jail. As an American, this gives me pause and confirms how people can just disappear for being in the wrong place at the wrong time south of the border.

Anger should be directed at whomever threw this woman in jail because it’s going to make everyone think twice before visiting Mexico - Not only for safety, but to support a corrupt system that let something like this happen. The stupidity of locking her up for a week, letting the PR machine churn and then releasing her in the middle of the night does not reflect well at all.

It's really a shame as confidence & tourism was picking up for places like Rocky Point - this just kicked it back into the Stone Age.
. Many good Mormon friends but the church does have pull and watches out for their own.
Senator Flake is LDS...it sure did not hurt as he was known in the lower house for being unhelpful to "Gentiles" in his district. The good thing is the 5k bribe "fell through" ...just makes it tougher on the rest of us.

Roberto

It’s unfortunate and unnecessary. Either the contraband was planted & an innocent American was locked up (shame on Mexico), or the woman was actually carrying the contraband and she was released without proving her guilt (shame on Mexico).

I sure do not follow the logic, Shame on Mexico, or was that some sarcasm that went over my head? Seems like it was handled pretty well given the circumstances. Certainly will start people inspecting the area around their seat on busses, here and in the US too.

Anger should be directed at whomever threw this woman in jail because it’s going to make everyone think twice before visiting Mexico - Not only for safety, but to support a corrupt system that let something like this happen. The stupidity of locking her up for a week, letting the PR machine churn and then releasing her in the middle of the night does not reflect well at all.

Don't get it. Facts seem to be she was sitting over a load of drugs, drugs were found, she was investigated and released, all in a fairly timely manner. Bad situation but seems to have come out OK. Worst part might have been the US media that loves agood Mexican Drug story.

It's really a shame as confidence & tourism was picking up for places like Rocky Point - this just kicked it back into the Stone Age.

mmmmmmmmmm

garyd

A little bit different but same type of thing. A Mexican friend of mine dropped her kids off at school today(in Cabo) and as she was pulling away another kid ran in front of her car and was hit by her. Not bad but enough to where they took the little girl to get xrays and arrested my friend and put her in jail awaiting the outcome of the hospital report. Last I heard at 4:00 PM she was still in jail. Again she is Mexican not American.

Roberto

Good idea as a general rule to not allow anyone unsupervised access to your vehicle, especially if you are know as a frequent crosser. Plus a brief inspection, inside and out is appropriate. Like a lot of other stuff ya gotta be proactive. I solve the issue by NOT crossing !!

A

AZ Miguel

I think they should at the guy sitting behind her on the bus, who puts stuff under their own seat?
Right you are:

The bus passed through at least two checkpoints on the way to the border without incident. In the town of Querobabi in the border state of Sonora, all the passengers were ordered off the bus and a soldier searched the interior as they waited. The soldier exited and told his superiors that packets of drugs had been found under seat 39, Yanira Maldonado’s, and another seat, number 42. Her husband was in seat 40.
Gary Maldonado said a man sitting behind them on the bus fled during the inspection. He said the man might have been the true owner of the drugs.

Ariz. woman freed from Mexican jail - The Frederick News-Post : Nation And World