Illegal Dorado Fishing in Mexico

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
A friend brought this video to my attention on another forum. Definitely worth watching. About 20 minutes total in three parts.

Having fished San Carlos for so many years, I've seen what goes on in this video first hand - the longlines, the dead turtles, the total disregard of the ocean and its life. To their credit, I have seen the pangas fishing in Penasco, but it usually a short gill net or handlines. Not the mile or longer indiscriminate killing machines called long lines.

I guess the worst part of this whole video is that everyone knows it happening and nobody will do anything to stop it. Viva Mexico! :mexico: :(

part 1: YouTube - Part 1 Oro de Cortez
part 2: YouTube - Part 2 Oro de Cortez
part 3: YouTube - Part 3 Oro de Cortez

A

azbeachboy

At the beginning of part 1 it looked like San Carlos, goat's teats mountain.

rplarry

Stuart, we were down in San Carlos a few years back and while fishing came across this same exact thing. About a 1/2 mile long line with peanut dorado all throughout. Various other species as well, but no turtles. We released everything and destroyed the long lines.

I am surprised there is not a group of local fisherman down there who would volunteer their boats, and time, to doing 'tag-team' patrols of these destructive long lines. They could form some type of charitable org, collect donations, and keep the fishery down there free of the nasty practice of long lines.

Anyway, just a thought....

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
At the beginning of part 1 it looked like San Carlos, goat's teats mountain.
Hey Chuck - most of it is filmed in San Carlos and Guaymas (which is the hub of the illegal dorado trade). The mountain is Tetakawi (goat teats, yes).

They interviewed some pretty substantial Mexican people in making this documentary. Minerva (from Cabo San Lucas, runs Minerva's Tackle, a fixture for years) is truly the voice of reason. She and most of the operators in Cabo *know* that every fish caught by a sportfisherman is worth up to 100x it's commercial value in what it brings to the local economy.

It's a shame that a greedy few continue to flaunt Mexican law and are able to get away with it as the authorities just turn their backs on the whole situation.