Insurance

badfish

WOW, I just call my auto agent and let him know and I get my papers on a fax or PDF to me.
Not to hard to get to Mexico.:cluck:
Be safe have fun.:gofish:
I have done that with my agent who is a friend of mine and it was $89 through American Family. No more.

Portugal has been my agent for 20 years, no problems at all. When I have submitted a claim it was handled quickly and fair.

tortuga

Many of us who used Portugal for years have switched to Rosie because of her personalized service and availability 24/7.

Just for reference again, Loba's statement about allstate is fact!!!
Technically fact, but when someone is asking about Mexican auto insurance, they need to know that the Allstate promise to repair their own vehicle once they return to the States, has nothing whatsoever to do with Mexico's requirement for Liability Coverage. You can think you're wearing a feather in your cap because you gave "technically correct" (yet grossly incomplete) information, Playa, but beware of giving people the wrong impression. There is nothing worse than setting someone up and making them think they're doing things correctly and then having them find out the hard way that the reason they're either in jail or their property is impounded is because they made the mistake of trusting that Allstate had them covered. I get plenty of emergency calls from people who aren't clients of mine (although they will be from now on) because their own agent in the US assured them they were covered. Not understanding the difference between getting your own car fixed and having liability coverage can be a very costly mistake.

Technically fact, but when someone is asking about Mexican auto insurance, they need to know that the Allstate promise to repair their own vehicle once they return to the States, has nothing whatsoever to do with Mexico's requirement for Liability Coverage. You can think you're wearing a feather in your cap because you gave "technically correct" (yet grossly incomplete) information, Playa, but beware of giving people the wrong impression. There is nothing worse than setting someone up and making them think they're doing things correctly and then having them find out the hard way that the reason they're either in jail or their property is impounded is because they made the mistake of trusting that Allstate had them covered. I get plenty of emergency calls from people who aren't clients of mine (although they will be from now on) because their own agent in the US assured them they were covered. Not understanding the difference between getting your own car fixed and having liability coverage can be a very costly mistake.
Even with Mexican liability insurance, you have a probability that your vehicle will be impounded until you have a hearing before the magistrate. Not trying to scare people....you just need to be aware of this....and if it is...make sure you remove anything from your vehicle that can grow legs and walk away!!!! THIS IS NOT SECOND HAND "KNOWLEDGE"....IT DID HAPPEN TO ME!

steve

You're right Rosie...... Think of it as the "BUY LOCAL, SUPPORT LOCAL"....there's a similar "group" here in the Phoenix/AZ area.
The PERSONAL ATTENTION is worth any small difference in price :)
I buy my insurance from Rosie. We should all support her. I haven't needed the "interference service" but the possibility of it's necessity is high and I like the peace of mind knowing she is available.
s/steve

I buy my insurance from Rosie. We should all support her. I haven't needed the "interference service" but the possibility of it's necessity is high and I like the peace of mind knowing she is available.
s/steve
Thank you, Steve. It's obvious I have a lot of support on this forum, and I promise you that it's greatly appreciated. What Joe said is true...even when you have the right insurance, your car can be impounded until the judge decides who is at fault. That's why if there is ever any problem, please call me right away. Cell number: 638.386.9081

My experience with having an accident in Penasco several years ago was that the magistrate didn't speak any english....the adjuster from my insurance company showed up late for the hearing (it was almost over).....and the entire family of the 16 yr. old who ran into me (he didn't even have a drivers license) were jabbering to the judge about how the gringo could afford to pay....fortunately my friend and his Mexican wife were there and helped to explain what had happened (they had also showed up when I had the accident...it happened near their house) and got the police to diagram the accident and measure the skid of the other vehicle (my friend's wife knew the police)!!!

My experience with having an accident in Penasco several years ago was that the magistrate didn't speak any english....the adjuster from my insurance company showed up late for the hearing (it was almost over).....and the entire family of the 16 yr. old who ran into me (he didn't even have a drivers license) were jabbering to the judge about how the gringo could afford to pay....fortunately my friend and his Mexican wife were there and helped to explain what had happened (they had also showed up when I had the accident...it happened near their house) and got the police to diagram the accident and measure the skid of the other vehicle (my friend's wife knew the police)!!!
Good thing she was there, for sure. The adjusters here are free-lance, so we all use the same ones. The magistrates (called judges) know me and know that we'll go by the book...if possible, of course. I say that because I've had clients who were very, very much at fault and all we wanted was to minimize their complications and get them out of the mess they were in.

I don't want to give the impression that I'll only respond to accidents involving my clients. I'll respond to anyone who calls me, and I don't charge for the service. I do that in the hopes it'll earn me future business. After I pull someone's rear end outta the fire, they usually become loyal clients.

Another point on the Mexican Insurance....I buy full coverage...since my US company doesn't cover me in Mexico for collision damage (none cover you for liability!!!)....check the terms of the insurance company policy that you buy....most only provide coverage for collision based on Mexican labor rates.....which are considerably lower than US rates. That's fine if you're going to have the vehicle repaired in Mexico, but if not, it will cost you out of your pocket big time! They do offer higher priced policies that cover at a higher labor rate (mine is $75/hr).....for the additional premium, it is well worth it.

If you're a frequent visitor to Penasco, also look at a yearly policy....if you come down several times a year, it's cheaper in the long run. You don't have to worry about getting stuck in Mexico in a traffic jam at the border....or staying that additional day.....

And if you don't care about damage to your vehicle....you can just pick up a drivers license/liability policy, which covers you in any vehicle that you may drive.....strictly liability.

Another point on the Mexican Insurance....I buy full coverage...since my US company doesn't cover me in Mexico for collision damage (none cover you for liability!!!)....check the terms of the insurance company policy that you buy....most only provide coverage for collision based on Mexican labor rates.....which are considerably lower than US rates. That's fine if you're going to have the vehicle repaired in Mexico, but if not, it will cost you out of your pocket big time! They do offer higher priced policies that cover at a higher labor rate (mine is $75/hr).....for the additional premium, it is well worth it.

If you're a frequent visitor to Penasco, also look at a yearly policy....if you come down several times a year, it's cheaper in the long run. You don't have to worry about getting stuck in Mexico in a traffic jam at the border....or staying that additional day.....

And if you don't care about damage to your vehicle....you can just pick up a drivers license/liability policy, which covers you in any vehicle that you may drive.....strictly liability.
Shoot, Joe. I oughta put you on the payroll. Since I can't, I'll buy you a beer, ok? You're absolutely right. Other points to consider:

- Always know what your deductible is so you don't get mad at me (or whoever) later. Deductibles on tourist policies are traditionally high ($1,000 - $1,500).
- Unlike in the U.S., your insurance is voided if, in an accident, you are found to be legally drunk. This is one of the reasons I need to be your first call if you've had a couple.
- When you buy full coverage, make sure you know the low commercial value of your vehicle. Thats all you'll get if you lose it. Paty always checks that so we don't sell you more than need.
- On a different note, talking about RVs: Most RVers buy coverage on their cars for every day, but only insure the RV the day they drive in and the day they drive out. That means they have NO coverage while parked. I tend to think that any vehicle using propane should at least have liability coverage, even when parked.
- My argument stands that you should buy locally. Even buying from my competitor is better than buying from some random internet site or yes...Costco.

I learned the hard way with that one accident about insurance policies...although I was lucky and didn't get burned too bad on the labor rate....the company who handled claims in the US for the Mexican company had negotiated a higher labor rate then was stated in my policy (I got $49/hr back in 2007). On the deductibles, it's higher for trucks then passenger vehicles.....

Some of us haul boats/jetskis down.....if you don't get on water coverage (which wasn't available until recently for jetskis), you probably don't have any coverage for the skis unless the trailer is attached to your tow vehicle.....so if they are stolen at your condo/hotel/rv park....you're out of luck!!! (If anyone thinks about a good "story" for your US insurance company...just remember there is video surveillance at the border!!! :stir:)

The gist of this is....buyer beware....read your policy carefully!!!

Esperanza

Yep, follow the link to get several quotes, choose the one you like best, pay online and print your policy. The minute you purchase it, I get a copy in my email. That way, if you have a problem even before you get to Penasco, I already have a copy of your policy on hand and know what you're talking about when you call. And yes, the trailer is covered, but when you buy the policy it will ask if you're towing anything. Say yes, and then it'll be covered.

We sell annual "Driver's License Policies" that give you Liability coverage regardless what you're driving. Those always cover what you're towing as well.
HI Rosie, just looking at your website, but did not see anything about the "Annual Driver's License Policies". How can we get a quote for that? As we seem to keep driving different vehicles down, it may just make more sense to go this route :) or if we insure multiple vehicles, 2 or 3, would that be the more economical way to go? Thanks

Landshark

FYI Body shop labor rates are "controlled" by the insurance companies. They will pay the prevailing rates in the area, but not a penny more. The current body & refinish labor rates in the Phoenix area are $48 per hour and based on predefined labor times in our computer damage estimating program. Mechanical labor rates are $95 per hour, but most all repairs are non-mechanical. RP Joe, you were lucky! I have never heard of an insurance company negotiating labor rate increases!

HI Rosie, just looking at your website, but did not see anything about the "Annual Driver's License Policies". How can we get a quote for that? As we seem to keep driving different vehicles down, it may just make more sense to go this route :) or if we insure multiple vehicles, 2 or 3, would that be the more economical way to go? Thanks
Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware that the automatic quoter wasn't set up to do the Driver's License policies. Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you price information. Unfortunately, the prices just increased, but it's still a good deal for anyone who doesn't know what they'll be driving. You can put several drivers on them, too. Do you want it for 2 drivers?

Apparently Playaperro has an insurance axe to grind, so I especially appreciate your loyalty.

HI Rosie, just looking at your website, but did not see anything about the "Annual Driver's License Policies". How can we get a quote for that? As we seem to keep driving different vehicles down, it may just make more sense to go this route :) or if we insure multiple vehicles, 2 or 3, would that be the more economical way to go?
http://www.bajabound.com/info/policies/driverslicense.php

You can compare rates here...
Playa...I didn't see where you can get a quote on your link for a drivers license policy....when you click on the links, it takes you to the regular quote page.....