Interested in the facts, not the drama, bs or anyone's personal agenda

gringa

Hi Everyone,

Have been a lurker on this forum for a long, long time. I have made a few posts under a log in I can no longer remember, so I had to create a new one to ask a few questions, but before I do, a few comments.

Like many of you, I joined this forum when it began, migrating over from Rocky Point Online when that forum closed.

And, like many of you, I was grateful that this resource was not going away when the other forum closed as I found it very valuable in terms of finding current info on what was going on in Rocky Point at any given time.

That said, I have been visiting RP/PP for more than 20 years and remember when Sandy Beach was almost ALL beach, so I am far from green with it comes to PP, however, as much as I'd like to, I am unable to travel there as often as I'd like, and while I have never had any trouble when visiting, now that I am married, I want to be sure that my husband and I are fully aware (as well as we can be) about the relative safety of our chosen destination for holiday.

Before I go an further, I should tell you I live in Phoenix.

So, yes, I am aware of what happened in Chandler.

I am also painfully aware of what happened in Tucson, my hometown since the age of 13, however, those tragic incidents have absolutely NO bearing on what may or may not be happening in RP/PP.

So, I am asking, as someone who really does enjoy RP/PP and wants to visit, what is going on down there? We are considering coming down before the end of the month and are looking to this forum to gain a sense of what's really going on down there...no propaganda, no name calling, no grand-standing, no sugar-coating or sticking one's head in the sand...we are simply two people who are trying to do some research on what is going on, from a crime perspective, that may affect our visit so we can make an educated decision as to whether or not it would be wise for us to travel to PP/RP at this time.

Please understand, we are not trying to be all Chicken Little about this, nor are we wanting to be ostrich-like in our approach, and since we respect all of you (even though some of you don't seem to respect each other), we are reaching out to you for information so we can make a good decision.

We have read thru many of the recent posts, but have had a difficult time wading thru all of the sidebar BS and in-fighting (whatever happened to civility? when did snark become acceptable?) to determine the real story, so I figured I'd post a question on its own instead.

Please understand that we are not asking you to tell us whether it is safe for us to travel to RP/PP or not as that is a judgment only we can make, however, you **can** be instrumental in helping to provide the data that will help us (and others like us) make that decision in a very informed manner.

That said, thank you in advance for your time, your patience and most of all, your understanding and your expertise, as it truly is appreciated.

Sincerely,

the gringa

MIRAMAR

Agree, I don't know what happened, but let's all work together to get more people visiting this beautiful city.

jerry

Well little miss cranky I think you will be OK unless you are trying to take over some narcos territory.The bacon rapped shrimp are your greatest danger

Terry C

IMHO, go have fun, stay on Sandy Beach, Stay in town in a nice place. Mind your manners, go out and eat in town. Go for a drive and look around. Sea the of Sea of Cortez. Sit on the beach. GO

azdiva

You most likely will not have any problems, However if you feel strength by the number of gringos within your glance you will be surely disappointed. There are just very few american
weekend tourists going down there. As a matter of fact we were absolutely stunned that the aeromexico flight from mexicali to guadalajara was empty and being is considered from daily
flights to weekend flights. The Border Crossing either way is fairly quick and uneventful. There once was confusion in this planned caravan at gringo pass in Lukeville. They all assembled
and proceeded to Mexico being around 12 vehicles. First two got Green Light to pass, third got stopped, next one green but refused to go forward, Customs came up to get them to move
forward, they panicked and quickly turned around back to the US.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Where are you planning on staying? Are you driving, or taking the shuttle? What do you plan to do while you are here? Are you adventurous or sedentary? Do you golf? Do you fish? These are just some of the questions that I came up with to better analyze your personal risk factor. Otherwise pack the car and gas er up and get on down here.

The fact is that crime is happening everywhere, you even mention it in your question. So to say that Puerto Penasco is crime free is just plain silly. I have said this before but it bears repeating in my humble opinion....I do not investigate the current crime stats before my trip to Phoenix or Tucson or wherever I may need to go up North. If I did that and used that as my sole guidance in my trip planning I would probably stay home out of fear. Why should it be different here other than the fact that it is a foreign country that is being slaughtered by the media in the US?

Puerto Penasco has not been overrun of late by marauding bands of misfits looking for trouble. I think if you come down and play on the beach, shop in the stores, behave yourself in general then Jerry is right the only thing you need to fear is the bacon wrapped shrimp. If you want to PM me for details please fell free to do so.

RB

This is my opinion on the safety of RP with no personal agenda included. It is safe! I travel there every few weeks for business and pleasure and have not had any problems what so ever. I do not stay locked up at my place when I'm there. I am generally at some very off the tourist path places and feel safe. In fact, it is not uncommon for a local to come up and thank me for visting their town and not giving in to the negative hype. Bad things can happen anywhere as we have learned. But, I really feel Rocky Point is safe,...as long as you're not a member of a cartel that is.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I have been coming to PP since 1966. I was 9. I owned a cabin in Cholla Bay in college and for a few years afterward and then became trailer trash. I am single. I speak fluent Spanish. I drive down alone and stay alone in my trailer. (Usually) I don't go out alone at night. I don't walk the Mirador alone. I don't go to the known drug areas. I don't drive down at night anymore. I bring my 83 year old mother down with me. I wouldn't risk her life, as well as my own, if I thought there was any danger. There is enough info on this forum as to the past happenings that you should have been able to make up your mind already. The crime in Rocky Point is the same as here IMHO. You have a very small chance of being collateral damage in a shoot-out. Like I tell my non Rocky Point loved ones when they rag on me what about the danger is, the media is making a big deal out of this. They paint all of Mexico with the same brush. They don't go to Rocky Point! I go there. I TELL THEM THAT I WILL LET THEM KNOW WHEN IT IS NO LONGER SAFE BECAUSE I GO THERE AND I WILL KNOW! Argh, the American government is doing a good job of keeping their citizens and their money at home and killing Mexico! Sorry Stuart but that's how I feel. I watch when I'm there tho, every trip. My eyes are open to what's happening. I'll be the first to say when it isn't safe. Come on down and have a good time. You won't be sorry. But, if you have a big fancy 4 wheel drive pick up truck, make sure you have a fail safe anti theft device. I have a gas kill on my Jeep.

Let me know when you are down. Come over for drinks. My bar is always open. PDO north 40 space 367

gringa

Thanks for your reply, Miramar! Could not agree with you more there. We really do enjoy our time in RP/PP and want to support the local economy as much as we can and would like others to do the same. This forum is a great way for people to stay informed as to what is going on down there and make informed decisions about when to visit and what to do while down there. Whether folks like it or not, this forum is almost like an unofficial ambassador for our favorite sleeply little beach town.

Looking forward to the other replies as well and sincerely appreciate everyone's expertise :).

gringa

Thanks for your reply, Jerry! And, for the record, no cranky pants here, just someone with an itch for the beach.
No interest in taking over the narcos territory either, unless he's blocking my view of the ocean ; - ).
And thanks for the warning about the Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, we'll be sure to keep an eye out for them!

gringa

Thanks Terry! Sounds good to us and everything you said is usually what we do! We have been down several time over the last 3 years, but sadly, our last visit was in Jan 10, so it really is time! We miss it and are looking forward to a low key visit to our favorite beach town!

Jim

I've been coming for 15 years and moved here full time 3 years ago with my family. One boy in grade school, one in middle school and a girl doing online high school. I work on Sandy Beach and have a business in town. I live in town in a Mexican neighborhood. I know most of my neighbors. I have lots of local Mexican friends and go to all parts of town. I can honestly say that I have never felt threatened or worried about the safety of my family. I don't sell or use drugs. I don't hang out with anyone who I am not comfortable with. I use the same precautions that I did when I lived in Tucson for the past 20 years. Other than the lack of tourists, I really don't see things much differently than they were before all the media hype.

gringa

Thanks azdiva! We aren't at all concerned about strength in numbers in terms of gringos as we really enjoy getting to know the locals, but do wish that there were more people visiting for the sake of the local economy (whatever their ethnicity or nationality).

And that's terrible news about the potential schedule change for Aeromexico, but not surprising if they are flying with empty planes. Happy to hear that border crossings have been quick...we've never had an issue with those either, but it's been almost a year since our last visit, so you never know.

Crazy story about the caravan folks! 12 vehicles...talk about safety in numbers, but so sad to have traveled all that way, only to turn back at the border, and only a scant 60 minutes from the beach? Such a shame, but it sounds like they did what was right for them. Wonder what caused them to panic?

Rhino

And Now for a Commercial Message

Hey Gringa, If you are looking for a very nice place to stay on Sandy Beach at a reasonable rate, please let me know.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
I believe everything that is happening in PP has already been said, basically nothing!! the town is sleeping and it is 8:36 pm, a few people here and there, had an avocado surprise at Mary's around 6pm and I was the only customer in the place I know it is Thursday and winter but, a few year back it was hopping, not now, you will have the beach all to yourself with maybe a few locals stralling and a couple of snowbirds that, like most of us regular, do not worry about the false rumors going around and come down to enjoy anyway and agree with Jerry and Russ however I would add to their worries the hot dogs at "El Jefe" opens after 5 pm at the tile store parking lot in Kino Blvd and Benito Juarez, as you go to the fish market at the stop sign in the railroad trucks turn left and about 1/3 of a block on your right hand side you will find the cart, go visit with the locals, you will find that they love it when you enjoy yourself!!

13 year visitor, homeowner the past 8 years on sandy beach. I continue to love PP for all the reasons I chose to build 8 years ago. My children are 14, 14, 12, and 9. We manage 12-15 trips a year. Attempting to be as educated as possible we have made the following modifications in our visits.
1. I don't travel across the border at night anymore
2. We go to dinner earlier with the kids and settle back home by 9
3. On adult trips we head home by 11 and finish our nightlife on the patio
4. I do more grocery shopping and eating out in PP than before to try to put money back
5. We always have a designated driver.
6. I am more aware of my surroundings driving to and from border

gringa

Thank for your reply, Russ! Really appreciate your time and your questions.
As for us, we usually stay at Penasco del Sol, but have also stayed at a friend's place (the sand shack, we call it) in Cholla Bay, and, many moons ago, camped on Sandy Beach. For this trip, we are considering PdS. Clean, inexpensive and on the water, which works for us.

We always drive and take my husband's 2005 Xterra. We've hit the check points just outside of Sonoyta a few times and those stops have always been uneventful yet slightly unnerving (all that firepower in such young hands is just not something I am used to seeing here at home).

As for what we are planning to do, for this trip, just relax and enjoy the beach. Visit the Malecon, grab a bite, enjoy the sunset, head over to JJ's and maybe Chunga’s, you know, the usual. We rarely head over to the Manny's area of RP/PP anymore, and spend most of our time in between the Malecon, PdS and Cholla/Choylla Bay.

Although we are fairly adventurous, for this trip, we are just looking to unwind and soak up some sea breezes It's been a crazy two months for both of us and we just need a break at the beach and prefer RP/PP over California.

Not big golfers, but my husband has been wanting to get out to fish. Maybe next trip. This one will just be to relax. So yeah, roll out of bed, jump in the car and have lunch on the beach! Love that it's only four hours from my door to the shore!

And yes, I agree with you, crime *does* happen everywhere and often, in the best neighborhoods, so it's important to be informed and mindful where ever you are, which is why we are asking these questions.

Never meant to intimate that Puerto Penasco was crime free. Sadly, no city or town is, however some locations can have more crime than others based on a wide variety of factors.

And I appreciate that you do not investigate the current crime stats before traveling to Phoenix, Tucson or wherever you may need to travel here in the US because (I assume) you have working knowledge that these destinations relatively safe. Additionally, you speak the language, fluently and (again, I assume) have a working knowledge of how law enforcement operates and are a citizen of the country to which you are traveling.

And like you, I would never use crime statistics as the *sole* criteria for determining whether or not I would visit a destination, but I would use that information to plan appropriately.

A perfect example would be the island of St. Martin. Although I have visited several times, because I don't live there and the time span between my visits is usually greater than a year, I always check out what's going on so that when we do visit, we're aware of the current state of affairs and stay away from any known crime hotspots (like the lowlands after dark). The way I see it, it's just a smart thing to do when traveling to a country with which you do not have excessive familiarity.

And to your question as to why should it be different in Mexico other than the fact that it is a foreign country is precisely the reason why *it* is different. Even though I love Puerto Penasco and consider myself fairly familiar with it, it’s still in a foreign country that, like it or not, has gotten some bad media coverage and has had some fairly significant, tremendously violent, recent, visible drug cartel activity.

That said, the fact that the US media has been covering more crime than good news stories about Mexico of late is really of no consequence to me as it was the comments and reports on this board, and not any media coverage here in the US, that prompted me to ask these questions.

Regarding Puerto Penasco being overrun by marauding bands of misfits looking for trouble, just wait until spring break ; - ).

But seriously, I really do appreciate all of your comments and insight as well as your invitation to reach you via PM. My husband and I are really looking forward to our next visit, and will be sure to watch out for those bacon wrapped shrimp!

Thanks again for your insight and hope to see you and teh beach soon!

Last edited:

gringa

Thanks for your comments, el jimador! Appreciate your insight as well!
As for us, we don't plan to stay locked up either (what fun would *that* be) and are happy to hear your experience has been a good one!
Like you, we also want to support the local economy and are hoping to make another visit soon.

And that cartel business seems like a pretty dangerous one no matter what country you're in!

Thanks again and see you on the boards or in Penasco soon!