Interesting Report on meeting with Mayor 1/25/13

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I know the port is good news to the locals and those that have business interests but I really see no benefit to those of us that enjoy going down for weekends as well a week here and there. It just makes the place more "touristy" which is what most us wish to avoid. People will now have to plan trips down that work around the departure and arrival dates because the border will be one big cluster @#$&. The whole cruise port idea still makes me scratch my head as I just do not see the typical cruiser traveling by car into the big bad scary country of Mexico. Not to mention as we all know it only takes one shooting or one virus to turn the place into a ghost town. Well, I am sure the fine Mexican government and the investors know what they are doing....
I don't mean to be smart, but I think the last thing they are worried about is U.S. tourists, can you imagin the millions of Mexicans, Brazilians, Arabians, Central Americans, Chinese, Japanese the rest of South America, that cant get visas into the U.S. but would like to cruise the Sea of Cortez..We have an international airport now and it makes it very easy...Mexico does'nt have the restrictions to get into the country that the U.S. has. I think the place could be over run with big money now from all over the world, they are already starting to show up here in Penasco. I myself am brushing up on my Portuguese.

Last edited:

Kelney

Yeah, I am sure those people will be storming the airport with all of those international flights coming in.

This project is a boondoggle if I have ever seen one. After year two of near empty cruise ships you will be left with nothing but another eyesore that Rocky Point is becoming famous for.

mis2810

I've run into a lot of Europeans over the years in PP. I do believe they would come if there were an actual fixed schedule of flights.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Yeah, I am sure those people will be storming the airport with all of those international flights coming in.

This project is a boondoggle if I have ever seen one. After year two of near empty cruise ships you will be left with nothing but another eyesore that Rocky Point is becoming famous for.
I agree with you about Rocky Point, but don't under estimate the Sea of Cortez.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I heard also, just heard, never saw it in writing, passengers will be able to board or leave the ship at any of its destinations, so its not going to be just a round trip. That is a huge plus.

I'm afraid you're right. Though I wish it would work I feel we will end up with the equivalent of an empty new intl airport -- but worse -- because the beachscape will be marred. Penasco is too hot in summer and too cold in winter (for winter tourists - who want to swim in the sea). Way too few intl tourist will fly all the way here to fill 4,000 pax ships. Many drivers from the US will be skittish about this -- (cruisers aren't a very intrepid lot). For the town, it would be GREAT if it works, but I am afraid this is a "govt money will make things happen" belief that won't pan out. But the cruiselines will sign on, say they tried it for a year or two, and then have the stop they have been wanting to help make up for destination fatigue -- which is a big drawback to their Mexican Riveria offerings, (Everyone has been to Vallarta and Cabo many times). At the very least Penasco gets a big construction project, but I wish the forces that be would concentrate on who the various demographics who visit now, and not try to reinvent the town into an imagined destination it won't likely ever be. For myself, I'm glad there's the East Beaches to turn to, when the time comes.

(FWIW: I hope I am completely off the mark)

mis2810

I think they went too big. 4,000 passenger ships are a nightmare. Let's face it, PP will never be Miami, nor do most people want it to be. They should have been satisfied with something smaller.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I'm afraid you're right. Though I wish it would work I feel we will end up with the equivalent of an empty new intl airport -- but worse -- because the beachscape will be marred. Penasco is too hot in summer and too cold in winter (for winter tourists - who want to swim in the sea). Way too few intl tourist will fly all the way here to fill 4,000 pax ships. Many drivers from the US will be skittish about this -- (cruisers aren't a very intrepid lot). For the town, it would be GREAT if it works, but I am afraid this is a "govt money will make things happen" belief that won't pan out. But the cruiselines will sign on, say they tried it for a year or two, and then have the stop they have been wanting to help make up for destination fatigue -- which is a big drawback to their Mexican Riveria offerings, (Everyone has been to Vallarta and Cabo many times). At the very least Penasco gets a big construction project, but I wish the forces that be would concentrate on who the various demographics who visit now, and not try to reinvent the town into an imagined destination it won't likely ever be. For myself, I'm glad there's the East Beaches to turn to, when the time comes.

(FWIW: I hope I am completely off the mark)
i'm no cheer leader, but at its peak, visits to Penasco were 1.6 million a year or an average of about 31,000 a week. The spanish have been back in town, arabs have bought and still may be buying east of town, people from Miami and Key West have been here and also lots of Mexico City people that bought land during the boom starting to come back, checking on things. Just like any business though things can go wrong and this is the right place for them to go wrong.

Pinky

I heard also, just heard, never saw it in writing, passengers will be able to board or leave the ship at any of its destinations, so its not going to be just a round trip. That is a huge plus.
No cruise line would ever allow this. They need a captive audience to make money and people starting or ending their cruise whenever and wherever is a logistical nightmare. This will be nothing more than a cruise port for some older ships that don't command the big dollars and can no longer service the premium ports. There is plenty of money to be made from Mexicans who do not have a visa and from Americans looking for that $349.00 per person weeklong vacation.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
No cruise line would ever allow this. They need a captive audience to make money and people starting or ending their cruise whenever and wherever is a logistical nightmare. This will be nothing more than a cruise port for some older ships that don't command the big dollars and can no longer service the premium ports. There is plenty of money to be made from Mexicans who do not have a visa and from Americans looking for that $349.00 per person weeklong vacation.
i think these cruises will be managed differently, if people think they are going to run a whole lap of the Sea of Cortez for $349.00, they are crazy, with 2500 employees to pay on the boat, fuel, maintenece, food for guest.s and employees, at 4000 passengers thats only 1.4 million dollars.....thats nowhere close to what it would cost to run that trip, even in an old boat. I forgot the dock workers, dock fees all that has to come from somewhere. I know they call me Carnac, but I truly don't know anything more than what i have heard, like I said in a different post, I havent seen anything in writing, signed by a cruise ship company.

Last edited:
i think these cruises will be managed differently, if people think they are going to run a whole lap of the Sea of Cortez for $349.00, they are crazy, with 2500 employees to pay on the boat, fuel, maintenece, food for guest.s and employees, at 4000 passengers thats only 1.4 million dollars.....thats nowhere close to what it would cost to run that trip, even in an old boat. I forgot the dock workers, dock fees all that has to come from somewhere.
I think you're right, Bill. Just look at the map of existing home ports I think there will be more than enough people who will opt to start their cruise here rather than fly to Miami or San Diego.

We don't have to wait for the project to be completed for the community to benefit from it. As soon as construction kicks in, the activity, employment and money flowing through the stores and restaurants will improve...as will the overall feel of the city.

Those of you who lament the loss of tranquility...just remember...that's what others said (or thought) when you got here.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I think you're right, Bill. Just look at the map of existing home ports I think there will be more than enough people who will opt to start their cruise here rather than fly to Miami or San Diego.

We don't have to wait for the project to be completed for the community to benefit from it. As soon as construction kicks in, the activity, employment and money flowing through the stores and restaurants will improve...as will the overall feel of the city.
It's already feeling better here Rosy.

i think these cruises will be managed differently, if people think they are going to run a whole lap of the Sea of Cortez for $349.00, they are crazy, with 2500 employees to pay on the boat, fuel, maintenece, food for guest.s and employees, at 4000 passengers thats only 1.4 million dollars.....thats nowhere close to what it would cost to run that trip, even in an old boat. I forgot the dock workers, dock fees all that has to come from somewhere. I know they call me Carnac, but I truly don't know anything more than what i have heard, like I said in a different post, I havent seen anything in writing, signed by a cruise ship company.
All the more reason why the home port is starting to look like Boomerfest. There is no way they will ever fill a 4,000 passenger ship week after week cruising around the Sea of Cortez. Just as they will never sell a $3,000 dollar ticket to see some aging rock bands (that of course, still can't be named). Cruises to Mexico are soft and most cruise lines have all but abandoned Mazatlan. The Mexican Riviera will never be a premium cruise destination. These cruise lines make money by filling cabins at low rates and then selling things such as upgraded dining, alcohol, shore excursions, gambling (except Disney Cruise Line). All of the talk about the home port sounds great until you really start to examine things. Only then (much like Boomerfest) does it seem like someone came up with a great idea and put very little thought into its execution.

Last edited:
All the more reason why the home port is starting to look like Boomerfest. There is no way they will ever fill a 4,000 passenger ship week after week cruising around the Sea of Cortez. Just as they will never sell a $3,000 dollar ticket to see some aging rock bands (that of course, still can't be named). Cruises to Mexico are soft and most cruise lines have all but abandoned Mazatlan. The Mexican Riviera will never be a premium cruise destination. These cruise lines make money by filling cabins at low rates and then selling things such as upgraded dining, alcohol, shore excursions, gambling (except Disney Cruise Line). All of the talk about the home port sounds great until you really start to examine things. Only then (much like Boomerfest) does it seem like someone came up with a great idea and put very little thought into its execution.
Oh, they've done plenty of thinking and research. I think they know what they're doing and that's precisely why it's taken this long to put it together. Derek Winzer of Sandy Beach Resorts has been involved in this project for years. The Vidanta Group ain't no dummies either. They've been over, around and through it all. Last but not least, the Federal government.

I know there are people here who think Mexico is a backwards place good only for margaritas and hiding from child support obligations, DUIs, or a long rap sheet, but ex-president Felipe Calderon has just been offered a fellowship at Harvard, so obviously we do have a couple of smart people in Mexico.

Boomerfest stunk from the outset. Comparing the two just shows you aren't paying attention to the details, which might be expected from someone who comes down for the occasional weekend, but cynicism from a well-traveled sort like you who chose this fair city as your full-time home? Hmm...

jerry

Oh, they've done plenty of thinking and research. I think they know what they're doing and that's precisely why it's taken this long to put it together. Derek Winzer of Sandy Beach Resorts has been involved in this project for years. The Vidanta Group ain't no dummies either. They've been over, around and through it all. Last but not least, the Federal government.

I know there are people here who think Mexico is a backwards place good only for margaritas and hiding from child support obligations, DUIs, or a long rap sheet, but ex-president Felipe Calderon has just been offered a fellowship at Harvard, so obviously we do have a couple of smart people in Mexico.

Boomerfest stunk from the outset. Comparing the two just shows you aren't paying attention to the details, which might be expected from someone who comes down for the occasional weekend, but cynicism from a well-traveled sort like you who chose this fair city as your full-time home? Hmm...
Still Rosy this is no layup. it is much like a public funded convention center.About half of them are lead weights on the tax payers...stadiums from bond issues too. google these things and the problems pop up. The water issue is another worry.

El Gato

Rosie, I'm with you :) Over the decades (lots of decades) that I've been coming to Penasco I've seen how creative the people are when they have had little to work with. I've seen them tackle problems and find answers while the tourist sits there bemoaning the fact that there isn't a nearby store where they can just go buy it new. As you so ably pointed out, the Home Cruise Port has had a lot of time, thought and money already put into the dynamics. While I would love Penasco to have remained the Penasco of my youth, it wasn't ever going to happen and wouldn't have been fair to the people that were born here and needed jobs, housing, water, etc. in order to continue living here. The port will make a dramatic difference in the economics of the town and will bring new people here to enjoy it's beauties and the friendship of it's people.

Kea

My 2¢ --
Just because they are building a port to accommodate 2 4000 pax cruise ships, doesn't mean that's what size will be using it. At least not at first. They can start with smaller ships and then if that's successful, they can bring in bigger ships. It's cheaper to build the port larger from the beginning than to have to retrofit later.

It is what it is...there is no cruise ship on the planet that allows guests to pick and choose their embarkation and debarkation points unless is it is a month long cruise or one of the residence cruises. No cruise ship sells rooms, slots dining rotation or makes a profit by selling a cruise in this manner. I would be happy to listen to facts if you care to lay them out for us.

If you are pointing to Calderon as your poster boy for Mexican intelligence, this conversation ended long before it started.