Iron Chef/ Taste of Penasco 2013

MIRAMAR

A local Tucson radio station (1030 AM) is sponsoring a weekend in Penasco- Presidents' Day weekend. The people putting together the tour went down a couple of weekends ago and said what a great time they had. They are REALLY promoting Penasco, positive changes and how safe they felt. One of the promoters is going to be a judge for the Iron Chef Penasco that weekend. We won't be going down on the bus, but I can't wait for that weekend! Russ, Roberto, or any locals, can you confirm the Iron Chef/Taste of Penasco is happening that weekend? I couldn't find it being promoted, so hopefully you can confirm.

MIRAMAR

I got an email response from KVOI today regarding the trip:

Each winter Rocky Point hosts an Iron Chef cook off. It's the highlight of the winter tourist season. This year KVOI and your favorite morning talk show hosts Joe Higgins & Chris DeSimone and their bi-lingual tour guide are heading down there to enjoy all the gourmet delights the event has to offer, and they want to take you with them. Our luxury Gray Line Motor Coach will leave Tucson on Friday February 15 for the Hotel Peñasco Del Sol Beach Resort. We'll spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night there. Saturday afternoon our motor coach will take us to and from the Iron Chef cook off. Sunday our bus will take us to the Old Port for an afternoon of dining, sightseeing, curio shopping, and yes if you are interested, buying fish to take home, so bring your coolers! The cost of the trip is $199 per person based on double occupancy or $275 per single. This includes your round trip transportation, 3 nights at the hotel Peñasco Del Sol, and local ground transportation during our 2 full days in Rocky Point. We'll have you back in Tucson Monday afternoon February 18.

So dust off your passports and plan to spend Presidents Day weekend on the beach with us in Rocky Point. Space is limited. To book your seat call Ellie at Gray Line Tours at 622-8811. For answers to your questions call Bob Feinman at 940-0078. If you'd like to know more about the hotel Peñasco Del Sol visit their website at hotelrockypoint.com.

Hey everyone, I hope you enjoy the video. Miramar, the Taste of Penasco/Iron Chef competition will be on Feb. 16th this year. It's a little earlier in the year, but we wanted it to coincide with the tour coming from Tucson. I'm glad you listen to Wake Up Tucson on KVOI. Joe Higgins has invited me up to interview about Penasco. And Chris is one of our celebrity judges for the competition. Looking forward to seeing you in February!

MIRAMAR

Yep, listened to the show this morning, and they talked about going to Penasco the Shrimp Festival, Iron Chef and how much fun it will be.

More Details of Event

What's the entrance fee this year? Jerry and I are planning to attend.
It's free to the public, but we hope you'll buy raffle tickets for some great prizes, visit the vendor booths for great samples of their wares, buy drinks from the bomberos and donate to the hemodialysis project, which is one of the three beneficiaries this year along with the bomberos and the Santa Claus Club. Raffle tickets are being sold in advance and you need not be present to win.

Vendors wanting a spot will pay $80 for the big ones with shade and $30 for a smaller one w/o shade. 10% of what vendors sell goes to the charities as well. Chefs wanting to compete can do so for $80. They must bring their own equipment.

All sales will be with tickets sold at the event. Each ticket, worth $1. The judging will be indoors, and there is seating for about 40 people, so people wanting to watch the judging can do so for 2 tickets. Watching the chefs cook is open to the public for no cost.

There are five judges, all chefs or former chefs...except one. Two celebrity judges are from the States, two celebrity judges from Mexico. The fifth spot on the panel is being raffled off. The Secret Ingredient will be announced just prior to the competition starting, and chefs must use it in the appetizer, entree and dessert. Each plate will be judged on:

- Presentation
-Taste
-Creative use of Secret Ingredient

Last year this event broke all records for events like this. All vendors sold out of food by 2pm! Thanks to Russ Black and Togis Castillo for agreeing to once again emcee. If you're in town that weekend, do come by. If you don't have plans to be here...make some.

Last edited:

Roberto

Rosy sez; Chefs wanting to compete can do so for $80. They must bring their own equipment.

You mean to tell me that HAPPY could come and cook hot dogs ??!?!??

MIRAMAR

We had a great time last year- I was glad it was in February, rather than during Thanksgiving weekend as in prior years. Looking forward to it again.

El Gato

:chef: Just heard that Rosie talked Luca into competing in the Iron Chef contest. We are lucky to have him and Karina running the Azul Bar at Bella. Plus Pane e Vino is one of our favorite places to have dinner. The chefs listed by Russ in the competition are all great so it should be another fantastic Taste of Penasco. Understand the weather is suppose to be showing off as well. Predicted for 74 degrees, blue skies and pleasant. So forget work and come on down and enjoy the day.

:chef: Just heard that Rosie talked Luca into competing in the Iron Chef contest. We are lucky to have him and Karina running the Azul Bar at Bella. Plus Pane e Vino is one of our favorite places to have dinner. The chefs listed by Russ in the competition are all great so it should be another fantastic Taste of Penasco. Understand the weather is suppose to be showing off as well. Predicted for 74 degrees, blue skies and pleasant. So forget work and come on down and enjoy the day.
This is going to be the best one yet! For the first time ever, all previous winners are competing. Ramon, Luca and Mickey are all in, and they'll have strong competition from Mare Blu, Don Julio's and the Mayan Palace. The judging panel this year is truly impressive, too. Ticket sales are going very, very well and if I don't keel over before then, it promises to be a wonderful day.
Just between us, I worried that we wouldn't get enough chefs, then enough sponsors, then posters and radio publicity were delayed, then judges, and of course the ever-present refrains in my head, "but will people come out?" and "will the weather be horrible?". I'm driving myself nuts. Whew!

El Gato

This is going to be the best one yet! For the first time ever, all previous winners are competing. Ramon, Luca and Mickey are all in, and they'll have strong competition from Mare Blu, Don Julio's and the Mayan Palace. The judging panel this year is truly impressive, too. Ticket sales are going very, very well and if I don't keel over before then, it promises to be a wonderful day.
Just between us, I worried that we wouldn't get enough chefs, then enough sponsors, then posters and radio publicity were delayed, then judges, and of course the ever-present refrains in my head, "but will people come out?" and "will the weather be horrible?". I'm driving myself nuts. Whew!
And so many more projects to come! About time to open another bottle of wine :)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I know that groups of people are coming from San Felipe to this event. We met literally thousands of RVers in Quartzsite and we started inviting them for the Taste so they have sent me messages that they are on their way Friday. The Gray Line tour is sold out from Tucson, weather will be awesome. Yes Rosie whenever you stick your neck out for a community thing there will always be doubt but as long as you keep working hard and staying consistent stuff always will work out. Good job!

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
Well Rosie will will have our donation ready for the event! Thanks for all your hard work in coordinating with us! Should be the best yet! See you or talk to you tomorrow when we arrive!