Is it legal to bring in a packaged turkey and the fixings?

mikef

I have read on here about what can and can not be brought into Mexico. There is so much information that it is a little overwelming and confusing.... So I thought I would just make sure....

We will be driving into Mexico from Arizona (Phoenix Area) with our destination being Puerto Penasco. We want to bring in a frozen/thawed packaged turkey for thanksgiving. Is that ok?

What if we decide to unpackage the turkey and cook it ahead of time... Then bring over a bowl of cooked turkey..... Is that ok?

We would also like to bring over some of the fixings... All of our groceries will be packaged and in our ice chest... Will we be ok? Thank you.

Roberto

Yes it is confusing. Mexico has several levels of 'interest' in foods coming in. Some foods are always OK without inspection, some foods are OK if they are inspected and pass, and some foods are prohibited completely. Beef seems to be the big one on the last category. Then there are different categories of 'inspectors' on the Mexican side, some don't care about food. There is an older post that indicated up to 3 turkeys per person . Uncooked in the original packaging probably best as there is some interest in the country of origin and USDA seal of approval. Same with cheeses and I think milk, original packaging is best. Fixings, most you can buy here, except maybe prepared stuffing kits and cranberry sauce.

Have a great Dinner !!

mikef

Thank you for the info..... My wife was wanting to cook the turkey ahead of time since we wont be arriving until noon on Thanksgiving. But it sounds like that is probably not a good idea? Or is it ok? Thanks again.

Roberto

Thank you for the info..... My wife was wanting to cook the turkey ahead of time since we wont be arriving until noon on Thanksgiving. But it sounds like that is probably not a good idea? Or is it ok? Thanks again.
I cannot say 100%. Maybe someone else will know.

I was specifically told at the border that cooked foods are prohibited. No dog food, no beef either. I suggest you bring everything down in it's original packaging, as Roberto has said. Hope that helps!

jerry

cook it in Mexico....they took my friends Costco roast chicken 2 weeks ago
I was specifically told at the border that cooked foods are prohibited. No dog food, no beef either. I suggest you bring everything down in it's original packaging, as Roberto has said. Hope that helps!

We have friends with an R.V. who live in it for 3 months.....are they stopping motorhomes going into MX for food?

dmcauley

I've been told that lately there are almost no green lights.It seems that they want to scare Americans away again with their new tactics.Before this we brought in enough turkeys annually to feed 50-60 families.
My niece managed to bring in 5 bags of dog food and 10 turkeys on Sunday so it is possible. I have more Mexican families coming to me this year in the hopes of helping the needy. Like I said before I will risk the fines. One time fined is a good way to get proof of this charade. Make sure you get a receipt if your fined as proof that it's not just another mordida.

MIRAMAR

We've gone down several times in the past month, and we've never had a red light- maybe it helps having my Pit/Doberman dogs hanging out the windows!