Isla Angel de la Guardia adventure trip June 7-11 wow

jerry

Isla Ángel de la Guarda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a short post I will fill the blanks in on later as i am back in the real world digging a damn footer in rock but had to tell you shore monkeys about the trip we took for Matt's birthday on Ted from Lobos boats. We headed 60 miles across the Vermilion Sea to a protected bay on the North end of Guardia Island with water like bath water. A calm little cove that we set up camp on was as pretty as a picture..Even me, the worlds worst fisherman caught some good ones but the surface casting for the Leopard Groupers that would slam into the white rubber lures was pretty amazing.Sort of like big colorful tropical bass...slam!!!!!! What a place....unreal snorkeling and diving....unreal spear fishing too.Check out Paul from Caborca's Grouper.....The visibility down past 60 feet was pretty cool
DSCN0145.jpgDSCN0196.jpgDSCN0208.jpgIMG_1152.jpgIMG_1201.jpg

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Isla Ángel de la Guarda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a short post I will fill the blanks in on later as i am back in the real world digging a damn footer in rock but had to tell you shore monkeys about the trip we took for Matt's birthday on Ted from Lobos boats. We headed 60 miles across the Vermilion Sea to a protected bay on the North end of Guardia Island with water like bath water. A calm little cove that we set up camp on was as pretty as a picture..Even me, the worlds worst fisherman caught some good ones but the surface casting for the Leopard Groupers that would slam into the white rubber lures was pretty amazing.Sort of like big colorful tropical bass...slam!!!!!! What a place....unreal snorkeling and diving....unreal spear fishing too.Check out Paul from Caborca's Grouper.....The visibility down past 60 feet was pretty cool
View attachment 6123View attachment 6124View attachment 6125View attachment 6126View attachment 6127

Damn you Jerry!

jerry

2013-05-25.jpgThe logistics of getting to the island(and more importantly back) were pretty interesting.Maintain and prep of boat so it runs like a top,careful packing the load ,getting all the camping gear just right,travel with another boat...note.. we saw baby whale shark in Lobos ..saying a prayer to the Virgin couldn't hurt before returning

jerry

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgSnorkeling with seals and turtles,Ted on a Sardenero,Matt with a Yellow Tail and the great character nicknamed Chino that is Samuel's butler sort of

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
the great character nicknamed Chino that is Samuel's butler sort of
Uhhhhh... "bodyguard" is the more accurate word here. Yes, I have met both of them. :puff:

I'm going to have to do a trip like this. I'll need a fuel bladder, though. 120 miles from Penasco as the crow flies and although I have the range to get there and back, doesn't leave much gas for fishing or miscalculation. And you don't want to run out of gas there. Too many miles to anywhere from there.

Glad you got to go, Jerry. Lucky dog!

refugio.jpg

Sixty

What a great trip! I would love to see more pic's and hear more details. I have always wanted to make a trip like that.

jerry

Uhhhhh... "bodyguard" is the more accurate word here. Yes, I have met both of them. :puff:

I'm going to have to do a trip like this. I'll need a fuel bladder, though. 120 miles from Penasco as the crow flies and although I have the range to get there and back, doesn't leave much gas for fishing or miscalculation. And you don't want to run out of gas there. Too many miles to anywhere from there.

Glad you got to go, Jerry. Lucky dog!

View attachment 6137
I need to put down some notes before I forget them.The details are pretty important to have worked out.Ted was pretty much the rock of the trip for all boats with is good because he plans for the worst and hopes for the best quite effectively.I am doing a map of cool places we fished,snorkeled,dove and hiked.Nights at the camp site were just a blast.Silvia from Caborca cooked for us and cleaned up with the help of Sam's assistants.Great sea food every night then the Bacanora came out!.It was well worth the 100 bucks not to have to mess with cooking.Why not leave from Lobos? I really learned a lot about the people and place last week(lobos).It is very interesting and I hope it doesn't change to much. Have you met Mason and family down there? He is bigger than life.They(wife and 8 kids...all adventurers with a house in Lobos) need to be on a reality show.

I would love to take a trip like that. It would be great to hook up with a couple of other boats and make a weekend out of it. I in.

Rick
Cholla Bay

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Why not leave from Lobos?
I haven't tried launching my boat at Lobos. Basically, it's too big and A) if I could get it in that road without bottoming it out somewhere (trailer length) and B) not get stuck in the sand getting down to the launch area (weight with full fuel, water, supplies, etc.) and C) the launcher may be able to get me in, but may not be able to get me back out.

I've seen and heard about launching issues there with boats smaller than mine. Ted's boat launches okay there, as does Sam's. But I know Sam had some serious issues with the larger Grady he had there. I think he took that boat down to Cancun.

Not sure if I've met Mason; I think so. There are some great people there.

jerry

I haven't tried launching my boat at Lobos. Basically, it's too big and A) if I could get it in that road without bottoming it out somewhere (trailer length) and B) not get stuck in the sand getting down to the launch area (weight with full fuel, water, supplies, etc.) and C) the launcher may be able to get me in, but may not be able to get me back out.

I've seen and heard about launching issues there with boats smaller than mine. Ted's boat launches okay there, as does Sam's. But I know Sam had some serious issues with the larger Grady he had there. I think he took that boat down to Cancun.

Not sure if I've met Mason; I think so. There are some great people there.
. I wonder about launching at Libertad?....Sams boat is pretty big and he launched in bad but not terrible conditions....it is 60 miles from Lobos to Guardia...about as far as you go out from Penasco to the outer reef

Last edited: