Isla Angel de la Guardia adventure trip June 7-11 wow

Sixty

I would be up for a trip like this in my 25' Mako. It only holds 130 gallons of fuel with a safe range of 150 miles with fishing involved. Fuel bladder is probably the best bet for me and I'd rather not make the run from RP. It would be great to have 3 or four boats.

jerry

I would be up for a trip like this in my 25' Mako. It only holds 130 gallons of fuel with a safe range of 150 miles with fishing involved. Fuel bladder is probably the best bet for me and I'd rather not make the run from RP. It would be great to have 3 or four boats.
Once you get there the fishing is all pretty close...I am making a map...the boats brought extra 5 gal. cans and if you watched it you were good.If you decided to dive one last time and ran out of gas 5 miles from Lobos you get towed in and get yelled at.

Sixty

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Oops, double post, with edited response.

I would definately bring some cans especially since i have a heavy throttle hand. I may look into building some auxilliary bow tanks to increase my range. The twin Hondas are pretty efficient but i rarely get better that 1.5 mpg. Always in a hurry to hit the "spot".

[/FONT]

Last edited:
going to the island the biggest issue is ice, lots of fish but ice does not last, we tried dry ice and magical coolers but we ran out, filet everthing you can ice down and or eat on the spot

Sixty

going to the island the biggest issue is ice, lots of fish but ice does not last, we tried dry ice and magical coolers but we ran out, filet everthing you can ice down and or eat on the spot
Block ice in coffin coolers is always the best. It will last 5 days in 90d weather in the shade. Ice is always an issue on long campouts. Keeping fish for without freezing is always risky

jerry

Block ice in coffin coolers is always the best. It will last 5 days in 90d weather in the shade. Ice is always an issue on long campouts. Keeping fish for without freezing is always risky
We had a big Yeti but not enough ice...big mistake....Ted brought the generators and small freezer plus compressor for tanks over for the other guys. Sort of loud at night but there was no sitting on this trip...bed time I was out

Sixty

We had a big Yeti but not enough ice...big mistake....Ted brought the generators and small freezer plus compressor for tanks over for the other guys. Sort of loud at night but there was no sitting on this trip...bed time I was out
Now that's how to do it!

With block ice you bring one cooler just for ice and fill it tight. It will last a long time like that. Sounds like a very well planned trip. I would definately be up for an adventure like that. I have a small fridge on the Mako but its pretty much worthless for anything over a 12 pack.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I haven't tried launching my boat at Lobos. Basically, it's too big and A) if I could get it in that road without bottoming it out somewhere (trailer length) and B) not get stuck in the sand getting down to the launch area (weight with full fuel, water, supplies, etc.) and C) the launcher may be able to get me in, but may not be able to get me back out.

I've seen and heard about launching issues there with boats smaller than mine. Ted's boat launches okay there, as does Sam's. But I know Sam had some serious issues with the larger Grady he had there. I think he took that boat down to Cancun.

Not sure if I've met Mason; I think so. There are some great people there.
I met Mason at Phx Fishing Supply right before they left to go down- agree, he is a cool guy.

I'll tell ya- I've trailered my boat to Lobos and back, and that 2 miles of dirt road puts about 2 years of wear and tear on your trailer, but it is a very fun experience - I'll do it again.

Recovery is the real trick, especially if there is a chop. I'll put some side-boards on my trailer before I beach launch down there again.

So, come clean Jerry- Did you have to adhere to some "ground rules" up front before spending a week with Ted? I mean, mentioning the present occupant of the White House with any degree of affinity in Ted's presence would be enough to get you thrown overboard to the sharks

:sharks:

jerry

I met Mason at Phx Fishing Supply right before they left to go down- agree, he is a cool guy.

I'll tell ya- I've trailered my boat to Lobos and back, and that 2 miles of dirt road puts about 2 years of wear and tear on your trailer, but it is a very fun experience - I'll do it again.

Recovery is the real trick, especially if there is a chop. I'll put some side-boards on my trailer before I beach launch down there again.

So, come clean Jerry- Did you have to adhere to some "ground rules" up front before spending a week with Ted? I mean, mentioning the present occupant of the White House with any degree of affinity in Ted's presence would be enough to get you thrown overboard to the sharks

No politics but lots of great life experiece talks.Hanging with the Aussies was great fun too....you would have been a good addition to the trip.Plus as you know the libertarian right and the non nanny state left have common ground. We did talk about your grouper article and how big they can get in 5 years.The problem is if the Chinese come to our little corner of the the Sea of Cortez everything will die but it is still a damn amazing at this point

:sharks:[/QUOTE]

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
My Mako 234 holds 150 gal, and has twin Suzuki DF140's. I have run to Lobos over water from Penasco twice, and each time I used 3/4 tank for the round trip, and that was cruising 4500RPM and about 26mph.

If I was gonna tack an extra 100 miles on the round trip to go all the way to Refugio from Penasco, I would pack at least an extra 50 gallons.

Hmmm... maybe I need to start talking to Ted about signing on for next year's trip from Lobos...

Ted

IMG_2384.jpg clam, scallop, coconut cocktail

Refuge Camp - YouTube

Jerry -it was a pleasure to get to know you better-thank you for all your special help-Matt, Ian and Phil, you guys are all great, very helpful, appreciative and fun-memorable trip, special place

Sixty

Great video! that big Triton with the 225's is a monster. I bet its a comfy ride.

Moore_Rb,

I have twin Honda 150's on my 253, which is a heavy boat. Last fall I ran out of San Diego to the butterflies (which is almost a 60nm run straight east) in 5' seas and fished the entire day. Back at the slip we logged about 150nm (ran way south too). About 1/3 of the miles was at full throttle, 35+ knots in a cross sea. Burned over 100gal on that day. Cruising it will go 2mpg all day long but with fishing involved it seems like 1.5 is the norm. Whenever possible I can't keep my hand out of the throttle, must be the devil on my shoulder.

One thing is for sure, the Mako eats up the seas! I am sure your 234 does too, infact I think they might be the same hull.

I am definately interested in a trip like this.