Jellyfish warnings

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
I do believe that unless you actually saw what was in those trucks it was NOT jellyfish.

As I wrote above, we were passed by three of those trucks heading south as we were heading north on the coastal highway towards El Golfo. The trucks that passed us and left us hosed down by that grey stinking liquid were filled with rotting fish, namely those of the Croaker family. The crap that still coats my new Ford Raptor is a grey smelly rotting fish oil emulsion. No jellyfish contain oils like that in their bodies, when they wash up on the beach they just dry up into parchment thin nothings, no stink, no rot, nothing, as their bodies are 99.99% water.

If anyone is claiming that the catch is jellies then it's just a lie to hide the obvious FACT that the gill net croaker rape is a full scale current operation with the Mexican authorities being totally complicit.

Oh Brother Where Out Thou?...............you Sea Shepherd foreign tuffies, suckin down those Lysol Margaritas en San Felipe?

Us Vaquitas really do need a little help! We will be the last of our kind and be terminated by the end of this summer.

JJ

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
So when the occasional truck loses part of it's load on the road, those big white bulbs that fall out are croakers not jellies?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
jelly fish 2017 2.jpg

The rare upper sea of Cortes' croaker fish being prepared for shipment to China! (sarc on) these are the Jellies being transported in the dump trucks that leak the nasty stuff on the windshield if you are behind them.​

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
So Russ.........

Any idea when and where that photo was taken?

On 11 June 17 we stopped at the new Productos Del Mar operation just north out of El Golfo. I walked over to their gate and saw a yellow skip loader with full buckets of various croakers dumping them into open trailers. There were five tractor trailer combos waiting in line to be loaded up. There were photos and a short blurb in one of the Mexican newspapers as well.

So there!

JJ

Seahorse

We also see the dump trucks regularly, they spill on corners at the 4 way at Laguna Del Mar and on the turn about at the bridge coming into town. When a the truck makes the corner....oooooozzzzz comes out of the truck all over the road. We also thought they were jelly fish, but couldn't figure out what any one would want dump trucks full of jelly fish for.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Charlie Hall added 2 new photos.
14 hrs ·
Cleaning and shipping jellyfish at the seafood processing center in Puerto Peñasco. They invited me to help but I declined. Somebody eats these!!

These are the famous Havana Jelly fish circa 1958 at the advent of digital cameras​

Last edited:

jerry

Well Known Member
I do believe that unless you actually saw what was in those trucks it was NOT jellyfish.

As I wrote above, we were passed by three of those trucks heading south as we were heading north on the coastal highway towards El Golfo. The trucks that passed us and left us hosed down by that grey stinking liquid were filled with rotting fish, namely those of the Croaker family. The crap that still coats my new Ford Raptor is a grey smelly rotting fish oil emulsion. No jellyfish contain oils like that in their bodies, when they wash up on the beach they just dry up into parchment thin nothings, no stink, no rot, nothing, as their bodies are 99.99% water.

If anyone is claiming that the catch is jellies then it's just a lie to hide the obvious FACT that the gill net croaker rape is a full scale current operation with the Mexican authorities being totally complicit.

Oh Brother Where Out Thou?...............you Sea Shepherd foreign tuffies, suckin down those Lysol Margaritas en San Felipe?

Us Vaquitas really do need a little help! We will be the last of our kind and be terminated by the end of this summer.

JJ
The illegal shrimp harvest was huge down here in may...buy mine at costco these days unless a friend catches them himself ( just bought a kilo of cleaned crab)...the jelly harvest is on and off...big money but inconsistent...I think you are right about the fishing...not a panga in sight here...heard many are up north

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
It's sad because "jellyfish also have a number of other natural enemies that like to eat them. These predators include tunas, sharks, swordfish and some species of salmon. Sea turtles also like to eat jellyfish"

jerry

Well Known Member
A father/soncompany bought the whole harvest of sea cucumbers...selling them to China for aphrodisiacs...heard they tbey down 12000000 peso

Roberto

Well Known Member
How do they capture the critters, Jellies and sea Cucumbers. Netting or mano a mano? Pangeros or larger barcas? Its really good for the fisherpeople to have a good market but too bad the controls and regulations are not better too protect next year's harvest and the rest of the sea ecology.
I know that is some places there are fishing collectives that individual pangeros belong to. Anyone know anything about that how it works? I recall that in Kino Ana's abuelo who fished Jaiba borrowed money from his 'boss' against his next catch. Unfortunately I did not inquire how it worked.

jerry

Well Known Member
How do they capture the critters, Jellies and sea Cucumbers. Netting or mano a mano? Pangeros or larger barcas? Its really good for the fisherpeople to have a good market but too bad the controls and regulations are not better too protect next year's harvest and the rest of the sea ecology.
I know that is some places there are fishing collectives that individual pangeros belong to. Anyone know anything about that how it works? I recall that in Kino Ana's abuelo who fished Jaiba borrowed money from his 'boss' against his next catch. Unfortunately I did not inquire how it worked.
Would like to comment but would also like to stay alive....