kayaks under a grand

Catch-All

Well Known Member
I like the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12.
don't buy one. The rudder on them is tiny. It's impossible to steer them. Also, the rudder pin is poorly designed and sheers off easily.

I have a Revo 13. Don't buy one of them either. Very tippy and you have to spend a bunch of money to make it barely fishable. Larger rudder, turbo fins and masts, etc.

If you absolutely have to buy a Hobie, then buy the Outback. It's wide-ish and more stable. Has two drink holders! Yay! You still have to buy the optional large rudder and the turbo fins and masts.

If you want a foot-powered yak there are plenty of excellent choices out there now; NuCanoe, FeelFree (FishSlayer), Native, Perception, Wilderness.

Catch

Kiter

I have been using a Wilderness System Tarpon 12' for about seven years and have loved it. I saw the Hobie pro Angler on display at Phoenix Fishing Supply and inquired. Yes, it is heavy, but the base price is also over three grand. Also, with all it's under-kayak rudders, pulling it through sand would be a real challenge.

jerry

Well Known Member
IMG_20150504_171808775_HDR-288x512.jpg IMG_20150504_171808775_HDR-288x512.jpg bought this a few years ago from a guy knocking on heavens door.I have had bad weather luck or just to short a stay to outfit it...lazy I guess....but I have the little weed eater type motor down in mexico.First time I used it I found he had disconnected the deadmans switch after it slipped from my hand....went in circles till it ran out of gas! Kayak itself is a great casting platform...

jerry

Well Known Member
What motor do you have on it? We're looking to get one, used is good
it come with 2...the Honda 2hp is by far the best///I have it on my canoe in Idaho...bullet proof....watch Craigslist list but hard to get a deal

I have a pro angler 12 and my buddy has the 14 - they are amazing boats for fishing; fast, stable, comfortable seats, and well laid out - the only drawback for me is the weight - they are pretty heavy boats and if you need to get them over a rocky shore or up a steep embankment, it's quite a workout. We have fished them in lakes and the ocean (Rocky Point) and had a great time with them. Neither of us have had any rudder problems and FWIW I can turn a pretty tight circle with mine. The seat and the mirage drive were the two big reasons I switched from a standard yak to the hobie - it's the most comfortable and fastest kayak I've used. A bit pricey, but I found mine used for a great price and figure that with the limited time i get on the water, I want to enjoy it. :)

AzDave

I love my Hobie! I almost went with the Pro Angler, but just too big for me, plus I need to carry rooftop so I went with the Outback. Hobie sure is proud of their stuff, and this doesn't fit the post for kayaks under a grand. I splurged and bought a new one early this year, mainly cause new in 2017 Hobie added a reverse in the mirage drive unit. Like Fisherman just said, these can go fast. I've been over a mile out many times with no worries.

Best boy toy ever! Every trip I've taken this year included my kayak. Was just down to Rocky Point two weeks ago. Took a day and fished Puerto Lobos. It was a day the ocean was like glass. No luck on any yellowtail, but got a sore arm on the mondo triggers and spotted bass! So much fun catching in a kayak.!

Best boy toy ever! Every trip I've taken this year included my kayak. Was just down to Rocky Point two weeks ago. Took a day and fished Puerto Lobos. It was a day the ocean was like glass. No luck on any yellowtail, but got a sore arm on the mondo triggers and spotted bass! So much fun catching in a kayak.![/QUOTE]

Not to hijack the thread, but wondering where you stayed when you were in Puerto Lobos? I've been going to RP since 1980 but never ventured down to Puerto Lobos. Did you launch off the beach or is there a public ramp that can be used? We have a trailer that holds the kayaks but we can use the carts if necessary.

Thx,

Terry

jerry

Well Known Member
Best boy toy ever! Every trip I've taken this year included my kayak. Was just down to Rocky Point two weeks ago. Took a day and fished Puerto Lobos. It was a day the ocean was like glass. No luck on any yellowtail, but got a sore arm on the mondo triggers and spotted bass! So much fun catching in a kayak.!
Not to hijack the thread, but wondering where you stayed when you were in Puerto Lobos? I've been going to RP since 1980 but never ventured down to Puerto Lobos. Did you launch off the beach or is there a public ramp that can be used? We have a trailer that holds the kayaks but we can use the carts if necessary.

Thx,

Terry[/QUOTE]
Terry across the street from the really big boat garage is a nice duplex..think it is reasonable..the guy that watches the boat storage garage used to take care of the rental...think it's Samuels place..

jerry

Well Known Member
Also you guys need to explore Tanques south of Desemboque. btw, two sisters from Chihuahua bought the Playa Dorada Desemboque. One of them is an architect, they are completely renovating the place, due to re-open in March. I'll add you to the mailing list for updates if you'd like

AzDave

Just parked off the main road by the boat launching area. It is all hard sand and didn't have any problem wheeling it in. It was just a day trip, hit the water at sunrise, and out by 3. Was kindof looking for a someone to join me. If you down there a lot Fisherman, I'll drop you a text next time I'm down, maybe we can hit it.

I think I attached a pic of my rig.

Sure do appreciate this Forum! specially the fishing parts....:).

Dave

Attachments

Dave, nice boat! This is mine with my oldest helping Dad wheel it out (it came with a sail and i was trying my hand at sailing)....hopefully I'll get out fishing after my Javelina hunt. Hit me up if you are going down.

Terry

audsley

Well Known Member
Jerry,
What's the attraction at the Tanques? I drive by and see the sign but have never gone over there.

jerry

Well Known Member
Jerry,
What's the attraction at the Tanques? I drive by and see the sign but have never gone over there.
interesting small coastal lagoon.. even noted by the British in earliest reports on the region as a place the small boats could safely lay up in a storm if tides ate right. ...sort of a little bay at high tide with mysterious artesian springs that seem to come and go......fun in kàyaks and surface lures get hits.....