kayaks under a grand

Nicolai

Yeah, i have seen a few, still havent purchased one yet, however, i did get my PFD and a fish finder for the Yak. Hoping for some calm weather come may/June. Only have taken it out once on Roosevelt lake. Im just trying to imagine what it was like catching that 5lb trigger you got, i mean the little ones fight hard! Maybe i need a medium heavy pole and a bigger reel. Curently have a Penn Clash 5000. I feel a big enough fish would just pull ya under haha.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Nicolai, nice score on the Tarpon 120. Those are nice yaks... I wouldn't worry about a VHF radio for the kayak. You're never going to be more than a few hundred yards off shore at the most and at the least you'll be fishing the rocks on Pelican Point over to Pinto Point pretty close in. The current and tide can be extreme on given weekends so check the tide report before you go out and try to familiarize yourself with the tide chart. Try to fish slack tide days when the difference between the low and high tide is minimal. Also check the wind report. Wind can get nasty and when it blows hard your back and triceps are going to be burning trying to get back into shore plus the waves can break over the yak but if you straddle with your legs over the side you won't tip. Keep your head up also... center of gravity can flip the yaks so where your head goes the yak goes. You start looking down and around you for something and a wave hits and boom you're in the water. Honestly, just understand that at some point you're going to flip the yak so make sure everything has a leash. I've lost a couple hundred dollars in gear learning the hard way not leashing rods and putting everything away strapped down or in the hull when not in use. Put a leash on your paddle and wear that PFD. If you can make it to Phoenix Fishing Supply tell them you're heading down to Cholla Bay they will set you up with some stuff to use but jig heads and scampi tails work best bottom fishing and you can also throw or troll lures... Have fun! Take some pics and share with the forum. Cholla Bay Sportsmans Club Fishing Derby starts this month with a $10 entry fee per weekend and they have a kayak category to enter.

Nicolai

Thanks Mexico Joe good information. I will definitely keep this all in mind. I plan on doing the CBSC derby again, last few years i onky did the surf category. The whole time i was thinking to myself "man if i could just cast out there a few more hundred yards" haha, ill be sure to get a few lanyards. Thanks! Have you ever made the journey from Tucson to the other side of competition hill on your Yak?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Thanks Mexico Joe good information. I will definitely keep this all in mind. I plan on doing the CBSC derby again, last few years i onky did the surf category. The whole time i was thinking to myself "man if i could just cast out there a few more hundred yards" haha, ill be sure to get a few lanyards. Thanks! Have you ever made the journey from Tucson to the other side of competition hill on your Yak?
Furthest I've paddled is JJs to white house on Pinto Point but that wasn't direct route that day. Had the GPS tracker on and if I recall correctly I think I paddled about 6 miles that day. If you pick a no wind and slack tide day it's easily doable to get to the backside of Competition. Just depends on how hard you want to grind coming in. If you have some GUNS and you're fit go for it. You'll be worn out at the end of the day but why not if you can. Good fishing from Pinto over past Competition heading towards Wrecked

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
AZ Dave, I've been looking for kayak fishing acquaintances on this forum for more than a few years now... if you EVER want to fish Lobos and you give me decent notice I'm IN. Been there twice, fished once but haven't been back in about 4 years now this February. Just don't feel comfortable going all that way by myself. Would love to get back.
Hey, I fish off an inflatable pontoon but would like to join in. We generally spend the winter in RP Playa De Oro #50 I have fished off Pongas in Lobos and love it. I have also wondered about the closer fishing villages gut have not been to any of them. I have A Dodge diesel 4x4 crew cab with a fishing trailer so we could re-rig it to take several boats.