Las Conchas Review by Joe Friday

JimMcG

Am I understanding this correctly that the Las Conchas homeowners have actually contributed three million dollars towards the De Sal plant and have already lost 90% of it?

As a homeowner in Las Conchas I can also speak up. This individual is speaking many false statements. The money has not been lost. Las Conchas like many banks etc is tightening their purse strings. Many people don't like it. Dave Steward was making $30,000 a year to make sure the equipment was being maintained. The architect was sitting in the office for 40 hours a week making almost $20 /hour. The fat has had to be trimmed. Regarding the desal the individual who said the organization could have the property to build the plant will not give title to the land. To buy land ,no one wants to have additional assessments. The equipment is sitting in a warehouse. The board of directors is trying to figure out what to do wth it. No one wants to buy desal equipment. OBrien needs get some of his facts straight. There is more internal information but I won't bored you with the details other than to say , the money is not there and less than 75% of the homeowners pay the association dues. If everyone paid their dues this would not be a problem but they do not. Every thing can be as before but the dues for those that pay would have to be raised and no one wants that. It is a shame that individuals who volunteer for their time on the board get treated by others (like OBrien )like dirt. Shame Shame I don't see you taking on board positions. You can talk like this when you walk in their shoes. :x

jerry

After we leave from iraq the market will be flooded with good portable diesel desal units.
Man if the jewel of the Sonoran developments is screwed It makes me wonder about the rest of us.

JimMcG

Am I also remembering correctly that this project was primarily, proposed, planned and supervised by educated American professional owners and that it is not merely another solely Mexican fiasco?

jerry

I understand Noriega is getting out of prison in Panama soon. Maybe he can be hired to run the Las Conchas HOA and crack the whip when needed

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Come on Dryheat, where is your comment about the situation in hand at las Conchas :lol: :lol:
It seems to me like good old american boys screwing with some other good old american boys in mexican territory!!!! :eek3:
I suppose Las Conchas members should hired O'ferril to take care of their problems!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

rikyt

There are no checks or balances on these homeowner associations. They collect large sums of monies from people that want to be members but have no real way of protecting the monies from greedy board members with no moral values.

That is one of the reasons soon to be governor
Jan Brewer and her husband John chose not to be members of Las Conchas homeowners association. They ended up going to court in Hermosillo and Jan and her husband won because belonging to a homeowners association is voluntary in Mexico.

What a piece of work she is. She won't pay the dues but enjoys the benefits including getting her garbarge picked up, streets taken care of, water. Yea she's great! It is people like her that means that Las Conchas doesn't have enough money but the members want more including those that don't pay.

rikyt

Las Conchas's is in the city of Puerto Penasco, home owners pay city taxes like we all do that own a home in Puerto Penasco which is for services provided by the city if they wanted the services.The city will pick up the trash and fix the roads if they let them. If a few people want to have there own services and pay dues I guess they can. That doesn't mean that everybody has to join the HOA because as you can tell there is no checks and balances for the the people that run the HOA'S. If you want to join and watch your money disappear I guess you can. Like I said you do not have to be a member of the HOA that was organized by Americans, not the Mexican government.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Did Las Conchas HOA have a surveillance committee made up of at least 6 owners voted in by the community? If they did not then I can see how the HOA took the money and caused problems. If they did have a surveillance committee no excuse for the squandering of funds if they had an eye over them. A good HOA in Mexico should have a surveillance committee appointed by the community and made up of owners.

The money is not lost. The money was used to put in meters at each house, set up a Las Conchas water company, and buy the equipment. The engineering costs of planning is also included in there. The HOA is not bankrupt. It has cut the fat like I mentioned earlier. Yes there is a review board. Friday makes it sound like there is no money. The HOA works on keeping the community in the black. There are some very angry people who recently resigned or got voted off . OBrien did not run the organization any better. If anything the community was in worse shape. There are always two sides to every story. Friday's is just one.

I am a newcomer to Las Conchas...brought my house 3 years ago. And I still have no idea what is going on. I have heard many stories and their views, but nothing is consistent. There is no accountability and nothing but accusations and naming calling.

Some people have been vocal about the management company. About how much they get paid for what they do. I for one am glad Cadden Management is here...at least somebody is keeping track of the money now. As for where the money went for the water system....who the hell knows. People have stated that it is not gone and that it has been used towards the water system...well if thats the case, why is after so many years that we dont have a finished system in place???

Kelney

Not to digress from who is a crook and not a crook but I am curious to know about the current water situation. Does Las Conchas have a steady supply of water now? There for awhile they only got water every two or three days so you really had to ration it. Sort of felt like camping.

JimMcG

rikyt said:
Las Conchas's is in the city of Puerto Penasco, home owners pay city taxes like we all do that own a home in Puerto Penasco which is for services provided by the city if they wanted the services.The city will pick up the trash and fix the roads if they let them. If a few people want to have there own services and pay dues I guess they can. That doesn't mean that everybody has to join the HOA because as you can tell there is no checks and balances for the the people that run the HOA'S. If you want to join and watch your money disappear I guess you can. Like I said you do not have to be a member of the HOA that was organized by Americans, not the Mexican government.
Good for Mr. Mrs. Brewer! In spite of the 'group thinking' of US HOA advocates, often supported by pressure from certain local Mexican attorneys, just as in the US, anyone who owns a property before the insecure power freak and often unqualifed Hoa advocates arrive is not compelled to join.

Kelney said:
Not to digress from who is a crook and not a crook but I am curious to know about the current water situation. Does Las Conchas have a steady supply of water now? There for awhile they only got water every two or three days so you really had to ration it. Sort of felt like camping.
Water is only on a few times a week...almost all the homes have giant underground tanks that hold the water and use pumps to supply the house with water pressure

ernesto

If you only knew. They strike for more money every couple of months and don't do shit for work. Laziest bunch of jackasses we've ever had. Shutting off the h2o was a mistake though and they're about to realize it.Totally illegal, now the police and the Mayor are involved. There was a wage comparison floating around awhile back that showed what they get. They are actually better paid than most city workers.As for Brewer, she used our roads and trash services for free for many years, maybe you applaud that type of selfish behavior. If so I wouldn't want you for a vecino either. Nothing worse than a load that won't pay their own way.

S

Submarine

Where do I start?

• So they use their strike clause which is obviously in the contract your HOA negotiated and you are surprised?[/*:m:3l1xesqv]
  • Shutting off the water would be the first thing I would do if I were leading the strike, and it could be easily justfied as a "breakdown". Again, you are surprised? [/*:m:3l1xesqv]
  • I'm sure there are lots of things floating around, and probably soon to be floating in your water. Since these are not workers employed by the City, the comparison has no relevance. If you mean RP workers in general, it still has no relevance. These workers are obviously motivated and orgainzed to stand up for what so they deserve what they get. (which brings into question your characterization of these workers as I assure you it's a lot harder to go on strike than to work).[/*:m:3l1xesqv]
  • Jan Brewer is a Republican and staunchly anti-Union. Unlike Unions in Arizona, HOA's have the power to force you to join whether you want to or not (Right to Work For Less laws). And for some reason you are surprised that Jan chose not to join your HOA/Union when she saw a legal way to avoid it? [/*:m:3l1xesqv]
  • HOA's have proven to be highly susceptible to corruption due to lack of oversight and accountablility. In fact, in another ironic comparison to a Union, if I were a Mafia boss an HOA would be ripe for the picking. Add in that the HOA is in a foreign country and most of the members live in the U.S. and.......[/*:m:3l1xesqv]
  • But if I were to buy in RP it would be in Las Conchas because I prefer that area. I wouldn't join the HOA either especially with the desal boondogle. Where I live now in Gilbert I specifically looked for a house in one of the 14 neighborhoods without an HOA and I like it just fine. I don't need anyone telling me how to be a good neighbor. [/*:m:3l1xesqv]

ernesto

There is no contract with a strike clause. You can have a union in Mexico with as little as 2 workers and they can strike. Ask Tom O'hare of the Rocky Point Times, they struck his office too.
I reiterate: these guys refuse to work, the problem does not lie with the HOA it lies with the workers. There is TOTAL relevance in the FACT that they are already comparatively well paid .Common sense dictates that you do fair work for your wage or move along. And as I said , shutting off the water is illegal , not the right thing to do.
I believe Brewer saw the error of her ways and corrected it once it went public. Shame and the need for votes rules.